What brake pads to use on 2015 GS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 02:34 PM
JK350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What brake pads to use on 2015 GS350 F Sport

Hello Everyone,

I need to change my front brake pads on my 2015 GS350 F Sport. Any brake pad recommendations? Should I do OEM or is there a more cost friendly aftermarket option? I appreciate your input!
Old 04-18-19, 07:37 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

I just change my front pads to Akebono ACT1118 Ceramic pads. Really like them. No squeal, low dust, and just as good bite as OEM, at least for the way I drive.
If you're looking to changing rotors too, I recommend StopTech rotors. See my thread below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ch-rotors.html
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (05-22-19)
Old 04-19-19, 05:55 AM
JK350
Driver School Candidate

Thank you sir!
Old 04-19-19, 08:57 AM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

+1 for Akebono ceramics. Use them on all my cars - great bang for the buck and keeps the dust low!
Old 04-19-19, 10:16 AM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Just ordered Akebono since it's highly recommended in this forum. Excited for less brake dust.
Old 04-19-19, 01:14 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by dphu626
Just ordered Akebono since it's highly recommended in this forum. Excited for less brake dust.
We'll technically it's not less dust, at least from my experience. It's just the ceramic produces white dust that's harder to see than semi-metallic black dust. On my darker wheels I can see light layer of dust after couple days of driving. Might not be noticable on chrome or aluminum wheels.

Originally Posted by Mochox
Whats the cost difference between OEM and aftermarket?
See above. Some say semi-metallic offers better initial bite. But for normal street driving, you won't notice much of a difference between the ceramic vs semi-metallic. Ceramics also last longer and quieter than semi-metallic
Old 04-19-19, 01:29 PM
JK350
Driver School Candidate

Are the Akebono's better than the OEM ones? The prices seems to be around the same...
Old 04-19-19, 01:32 PM
dphu626
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdpdata
We'll technically it's not less dust, at least from my experience. It's just the ceramic produces white dust that's harder to see than semi-metallic black dust. On my darker wheels I can see light layer of dust after couple days of driving. Might not be noticable on chrome or aluminum wheels.
ok well white dust would be better for my wheels than to be coated in black dust.
Old 04-19-19, 03:57 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by JK350
Are the Akebono's better than the OEM ones? The prices seems to be around the same...
If you track, race, tow, or drive aggressively, stick with Semi-Metallic.
If you don't do any of those things and drive normally like 90% of us, Ceramics will work fine.
Old 05-22-19, 08:35 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts

If you track, race, tow, or drive aggressively, stick with Semi-Metallic.
If you don't do any of those things and drive normally like 90% of us, Ceramics will work fine.
Ceramic is *not* better if you drive aggressively? I mean, I do not think I am overbearingly aggressive driver, but others (wife) might disagree. Can you elaborate on the difference?
Old 05-22-19, 09:21 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

From Google search...

Ceramic pads offer quieter stops, cleaner wheels, and generally longer pad-life due to their harder composition. ... In addition, they typically have a lower coefficient of friction than their semi-metallic counterparts (the higher the coefficient of friction, the better a brake pad will stop your vehicle).

However, I can't recommend ceramic pads for this car (GS 350 F Sport) anymore. Mine are starting to squeal like crazy. May have to return to stock OEM rotors and pads.
Old 05-22-19, 10:02 AM
dphu626
Pole Position

From Google search...

Ceramic pads offer quieter stops, cleaner wheels, and generally longer pad-life due to their harder composition. ... In addition, they typically have a lower coefficient of friction than their semi-metallic counterparts (the higher the coefficient of friction, the better a brake pad will stop your vehicle).

However, I can't recommend ceramic pads for this car (GS 350 F Sport) anymore. Mine are starting to squeal like crazy. May have to return to stock OEM rotors and pads.
Maybe it's the rotor/pad combo? I have the akebono pads on stock rotors and no squealing. It's been about 150 miles or so.
Old 05-22-19, 10:09 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

From Google search...

Yea, I just read all teh way through your rotor/brake pad thread. Sucks to hear that. I'll stick with stock, probably do the paint job like you did though. *If* I can find a color that matches up
Old 05-22-19, 10:14 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by dphu626
Maybe it's the rotor/pad combo? I have the akebono pads on stock rotors and no squealing. It's been about 150 miles or so.
Yeah maybe. F Sport seems to be more picky with pads than base GS 350. You don't have the F Sport right? My Akebono was super quiet until 200 miles, that's when it started to squeal. Maybe it's not wearing evenly. Haven't had time to do some bedding-in high speed runs. That may help.

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Yea, I just read all teh way through your rotor/brake pad thread. Sucks to hear that. I'll stick with stock, probably do the paint job like you did though. *If* I can find a color that matches up
It's a major PITA with front brakes for this damn car. I hate it.
What color is your car? You have a lot of choices with caliper colors. Just stick with quality paint like VHT, G2, or Rustoleum.

Last edited by jdpdata; 05-22-19 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-22-19, 02:15 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Yeah maybe. F Sport seems to be more picky with pads than base GS 350. You don't have the F Sport right? My Akebono was super quiet until 200 miles, that's when it started to squeal. Maybe it's not wearing evenly. Haven't had time to do some bedding-in high speed runs. That may help.

It's a major PITA with front brakes for this damn car. I hate it.
What color is your car? You have a lot of choices with caliper colors. Just stick with quality paint like VHT, G2, or Rustoleum.
Riviera Red, gark grey wheels. Just not sure what color would look good.

Quick Reply: What brake pads to use on 2015 GS350 F Sport