GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Did no one get the mark Levinson option?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 07:08 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

If your ML doesn’t thump hard enough, easy fix. Throw a sub box or tube in the back. If your non ML isn’t clear enough...we’ll, how much cash you got?

I have the ML in my GS and the wife has the standard in her RX. She thinks the ML isn’t full bodied enough and I think her system is muddy. There you go. No two shall agree. My argument still goes to my first sentence though!
Old 04-14-19, 07:28 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
If your ML doesn’t thump hard enough, easy fix. Throw a sub box or tube in the back. If your non ML isn’t clear enough...we’ll, how much cash you got?

I have the ML in my GS and the wife has the standard in her RX. She thinks the ML isn’t full bodied enough and I think her system is muddy. There you go. No two shall agree. My argument still goes to my first sentence though!
One issue is that the ML uses 14 speakers, so to drive those 14 speakers to get the full benefit of their great sound, means powering up the system to a higher volume than usually desired for such an enclosed space as a car interior. Yes, the ML sounds great at high volumes, so if you can stand the volume, it's great! Personally I like the regular audio system with 10 speakers, which at lower volumes, sounds just as good as a 14 speaker system.
Old 04-14-19, 10:28 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
One issue is that the ML uses 14 speakers, so to drive those 14 speakers to get the full benefit of their great sound, means powering up the system to a higher volume than usually desired for such an enclosed space as a car interior. Yes, the ML sounds great at high volumes, so if you can stand the volume, it's great! Personally I like the regular audio system with 10 speakers, which at lower volumes, sounds just as good as a 14 speaker system.
That was nicely explained ... and I totally agree.
Old 04-15-19, 12:59 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hifiman1
I am looking at the 13 to 15 gs 350 and no one seems to spec the cars with Mark Levinson for some reason?
Pretty sure mine went off to auction after a lease return here in North Texas. F sport, fully optioned, rwd, rear wheel steering, ml, the works. Black on red interior, dark headliner. Returned it in Dec of 2016 so I'm sure it's long gone by now. It was a 2013, born in September. Also had them pay for the awesome huper optik nanoceramic tint.

Like others have said, expand your search to F Sports. The local dealers here like to load them up. You'll never see an F Sport lacking options from this state.
Old 04-15-19, 07:37 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen

Like others have said, expand your search to F Sports. The local dealers here like to load them up. You'll never see an F Sport lacking options from this state.
Agreed. The '12 Fsport I have was only available with one optional extra, that being the ML upgrade...Can't imagine why anyone would order one without...
Old 04-15-19, 07:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

OP, I suspect by your threads/comments in the new ES forum that you are no longer considering a GS?
Old 04-15-19, 09:37 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

ML is not a very popular option with just about all Lexus models, it is expensive, it is even pretty rare on the LS. I looked for a GS and LS for a while and it was not common to see ML on either car aside from Long Wheelbase LS460's. I listened to a ML in one GS I test drove and did not find it worth seeking out or a must have or something I would pay extra for, no real big difference in sound to me. The stock system sounds good to me. If you listen to mostly satellite radio you will notice no real difference, the regular sound system may seem better for satellite and FM broadcasts because it seems to sound a little better or as good at lower volumes.
Old 04-15-19, 04:26 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mochox
Tbh I thought the Bose system in my Infiniti sounded better than Lexus ML but everyone claims Bose is just garbage so yeah, personal taste.
Whoa ... no one ever says Bose is garbage.

Last edited by TOPENDMS; 04-15-19 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-15-19, 04:43 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
Whoa ... no one ever says Bose is garbage.
Correct, the saying is Bose Blows!

The only thing they make worth buying is noise cancelling headphones.
Old 04-21-19, 03:01 PM
dingyibvs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mochox
Except Audio Snobs...

...Who probably don't realize that ML was owned by Harmon Kardon and is now owned by renowned pioneers of high end audiophile equipment [uh....]...SAMSUNG lol

All jokes aside, the Bose in the Infinits can sound pretty good in the confines of a car.
Bose isn't bad, they just tend to be overpriced for their sound quality when it comes to their speakers.

As for ML, you'll need good source material to really take advantage of it, as is the case with most higher end audio equipment. I personally feed FLAC from my phone to a portable DAC via micro USB and then to the auxillary input on my RX450h. ML is quite amazing for that. I keep my phone charged via a wireless charger/phone holder, and I keep my DAC charged via the car's USB port. It's a bit of a complicated system, and I can see how most people may not want to go through the trouble to set that up.

BTW, I'm looking for a GS450h, but they're so damn hard to find especially since I want ML and luxury package so it limits me to 2013s. I'm thinking of just getting a 2016 GS350 now. May join the club soon!
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 02:42 PM
MikeLucky
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
True statement. I am deaf in one ear so the ML works very well for my tastes as I have to have it loud pretty much all the time. I am also a huge fan of lots of base and the ML at high volumes is just a nice, tight, clean bass (once you fix the driver's side window control bank) that actually comes from not just the sub, but also the door speakers so it's really immersive in my experience. I was all set to add a sub to my system but after a few months I realized I would have to drop some serious money to get better sound than the ML system.

Even my audio guy said as much. He also said that one thing most people don't consider is that if you have a sub in the trunk it's a bit of a quandry for a car like the GS. The GS is designed to keep outside noise outside. To get good benefits from a sub in the trunk, you now have to specifically compromise the sound barrier to enjoy the bass fully, but you are also at risk of letting in a lot of other sounds that you don't want coming in.
Old 04-24-19, 07:20 AM
mpbIS350
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Curious where folks have their settings on the ML system for bass, treble, mid. I have a 2019 GS and can't seem to get enough bass/low end thump...to me sounds like it's coming out of a coffee can. Oddly my 2016 IS with ML sounded better than my 2019 GS with ML.
Old 04-24-19, 07:26 AM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Not 100% sure but I have my highs about 2 -3 tabs to the right, Mids in the middle or 1 tab to the right and Bass 3 tabs to the right. I'm new to Lexus and ML but I noticed these settings will produce somewhat different results based on the audio source. Satellite radio sounds more bass heavy than my Spotify bluetooth stream for example. I'd imaging the Bluetooth connection has a lower audio quality. CD should produce the highest and best sound, which is why we still have one in our cars. Less compression on the audio files. I might look into tossing some high bit-rate mp3s on a USB drive to see what things sound like.
Old 05-07-19, 01:01 PM
LexinOnEm
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my 13 350 has every option from that year except the ML system lol. i even have the seats control setup,
Old 05-07-19, 07:13 PM
Jay1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just bought 2018 cop GS350 AWD with Mark Levinson and would not spend any money for the upgrade vs std system.

Quick Reply: Did no one get the mark Levinson option?