ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020-237/)
-   -   Check your Donut Spare tire pressure, mine was 15PSI! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020/916105-check-your-donut-spare-tire-pressure-mine-was-15psi.html)

peasodos 04-11-19 03:47 PM

Check your Donut Spare tire pressure, mine was 15PSI!

The spare tire in my car has never been used and I checked the tire pressure today and it read 15PSI, It's supposed to be at 60. I pumped it back up to 60.

I'd advise everyone to check their spare tire and post your PSI, so we'll know if it's a widespread issue.

bclexus 04-11-19 03:57 PM

Oh man, that means I would have to unload a thousand pounds of golf clubs, golf shoes, golf balls, spare clubs, umbrellas, towels and other equipment and stuff to get to my spare tire.

Good advice!

peasodos 04-11-19 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by bclexus (Post 10490580)
Oh man, that means I would have to unload a thousand pounds of golf clubs, golf shoes, golf balls, spare clubs, umbrellas, towels and other equipment and stuff to get to my spare tire.

Good advice!

A good time to tidy up the trunk.

np20412 04-11-19 04:27 PM

Thanks for the reminder! Will check it when I gas up this week.

bclexus 04-11-19 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by peasodos (Post 10490586)
A good time to tidy up the trunk.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...f2d706253a.png

jdpdata 04-11-19 04:59 PM

Yup mine was 15psi too. Pump it up to 60psi few weeks ago.

bclexus 04-11-19 05:21 PM

I'm going to pump my spare tire up to 75psi...once I get all the junk out of the trunk.

PS - I keep a spare wheel lock lug in the rear seat console so I don't need to dig it out of the trunk when I get the tires/wheels rotated.

chinee 04-11-19 08:02 PM

My tires go down about 2 psi a month so I've pumped them up 3 times already. Each time I go through this exercise, I check the spare as well, and found that it loses pressure faster than the regular tires. Each time I've found the spare to be 45-52 psi.
Moral of this story, check your spare when you do your other tires, and do not trust the tire shop do so... I've been stranded more than once because of a severely under-inflated spare.

peasodos 04-11-19 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by chinee (Post 10490776)
My tires go down about 2 psi a month so I've pumped them up 3 times already. Each time I go through this exercise, I check the spare as well, and found that it loses pressure faster than the regular tires. Each time I've found the spare to be 45-52 psi.
Moral of this story, check your spare when you do your other tires, and do not trust the tire shop do so... I've been stranded more than once because of a severely under-inflated spare.

I guess the spare looses air on it's own over time, seems like eventually it will go down to 15 psi, probably good to check it couple times a year. I'm going to check my girlfriends Honda to see if it does the same thing.

jonathancl 04-13-19 05:53 AM

Yeah found this after purchasing my last car: despite dealer and state inspections, the spare was 25psi...should have been 60.

Gotta make that part of spring cleaning.

bclexus 04-15-19 10:14 AM

I pulled a thousand pounds of golf equipment out of my trunk so I could check the air pressure of my spare tire...knowing the air pressure would be very low since I've neglected to check it. Well, there was no surprise - my spare tire only had 12 PSI of air pressure! My car is 76 months (6 years & 4 months) old from the build date, and I'm pretty sure my spare tire air pressure had ever been checked.

Even though the recommended cold tire inflation pressure for the spare tire is 60 psi I had my spare tire filled to 75 psi (on a 72° day) since I would rather have it over-inflated rather than under-inflated, and knowing the spare tire will lose air pressure overtime. For those of you living in cooler climate areas keep in mind that cold winter temperatures could drop the tire pressure of your spare tire by 10 psi compared to the air pressure it was inflated to on a hot summer day.

I [now] have a reminder on my calendar to check the air pressure of my spare tire once a year (on Tax Day - April 15th).

NJLEXES 04-15-19 12:17 PM

Or just carry a spare air compressor in the car....
Comes in handy in case you need to put air in the tires plus it saves you a trip to the gas station.

For $20-25, I carry one in all my cars.

TOPENDMS 04-15-19 02:17 PM

Wow, interesting find. They do say that air is able to escape through the tire rubber, which is why some dealers offer nitrogen. Nitrogen molecules are bigger than the molecular gaps in the tire rubber. Might be a good idea for the spare too.

ItzFilyO 04-15-19 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by bclexus (Post 10490646)
I'm going to pump my spare tire up to 75psi...once I get all the junk out of the trunk.

PS - I keep a spare wheel lock lug in the rear seat console so I don't need to dig it out of the trunk when I get the tires/wheels rotated.

Imma steal ur wheels now. I heard u have spinners on ur GS. ;)

peasodos 04-15-19 02:44 PM

Basically the moral of the story is tires loose air over time and if you have a 2013 and never checked your spare, it's flat.

Any car with a donut tire should check the spare tire pressure once a year. I carry a compact tire inflator in my trunk, so I would have been fine if I really needed to use it and found out it was flat.