GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone use a CarSeat protector?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 08:36 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anyone use a CarSeat protector?

Alright fellas, I know lot of you guys are fathers out there.... I've been trying to shop for a good carseat protector for the GS.. I've looked at so many reviews on many diff protectors on Amazon but I'm having issues on deciding which one to go with. I'm about to pull the trigger on this one but there are just so many out there...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CB7LT3Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CB7LT3Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Anyone use one currently, that does not damage your seat at all? If so, please link me!
Old 04-10-19, 08:43 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

I use this one:
Amazon Amazon

Working great so far. It does leave slight indents in the seat under the protector where the blue spots are, but they pop back up if you give the seat a day or two to breathe. In my opinion I would not consider that to be damage.

Last edited by np20412; 04-10-19 at 08:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Amuse350z (04-10-19)
Old 04-10-19, 08:47 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Working great so far. It does leave slight indents in the seat under the protector where the blue spots are, but they pop back up if you give the seat a day or two to breathe. In my opinion I would not consider that to be damage.
Thanks, I actually looked at this too but those reviewed pictures where seats have marks on them permanently scares me a little....
Old 04-10-19, 08:50 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Amuse350z
Thanks, I actually looked at this too but those reviewed pictures where seats have marks on them permanently scares me a little....
Yeah I don't think they are permanent in any leather seats. Most likely someone removed the car seat, saw them, took the picture and wrote the review. When they went back several days later and no more spots, they didn't update the review. I notice them everytime I take the car seat out to switch it to my other car, and when I come back to the GS, the indents are always gone. I've read in the reviews you can further prevent the marks by folding a towel into two layers and placing it underneath so the pressure is distributed. I haven't tried that but seems logically sound.
Amuse350z (04-10-19)
Old 04-10-19, 10:50 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Yeah I don't think they are permanent in any leather seats. Most likely someone removed the car seat, saw them, took the picture and wrote the review. When they went back several days later and no more spots, they didn't update the review. I notice them everytime I take the car seat out to switch it to my other car, and when I come back to the GS, the indents are always gone. I've read in the reviews you can further prevent the marks by folding a towel into two layers and placing it underneath so the pressure is distributed. I haven't tried that but seems logically sound.
When I bought by GS there were indentations on both back seats, the seat and the back rest. I used a hair dryer on them and tried to work them out. I got most of the back rest indentations out but not on the seat and I've had the car six months now and they haven't diminished at all. Previous owner must have had the car seat in there continuously for months or years. Despite those indentations the interior was very clean and I wouldn't have known they had kids in there.
Amuse350z (04-10-19)
Old 04-10-19, 12:40 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by thallium
When I bought by GS there were indentations on both back seats, the seat and the back rest. I used a hair dryer on them and tried to work them out. I got most of the back rest indentations out but not on the seat and I've had the car six months now and they haven't diminished at all. Previous owner must have had the car seat in there continuously for months or years. Despite those indentations the interior was very clean and I wouldn't have known they had kids in there.
Was it from the car seat itself or one of these covers? If this kind of cover was not used and it was just the car seat against the leather, I can totally see the indents being permanent. Those infant/convertible car seats are a) heavy and b) without the protector, dig in to the seat to achieve the tight fit they require.
Old 04-10-19, 01:12 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

I use towels. They're padded, absorbent, and washable. Fold them in half, tuck in.

Saved the back seats of both cars from certain destruction.
Old 04-10-19, 04:17 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I use a beach towel on my lower portion of the drivers seat. I wear Levi's mostly and I think the pocket seams are hard on the leather. Our daily driver RX front seats look pretty worn even with regular leather care. No covering on those seats. When I had a 95 Vette I could swap both seats back and forth to even out the wear. And talk about crappy leather, that car had it!
Amuse350z (04-10-19)
Old 04-11-19, 09:28 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I use a small blanket that I fold and setup for both the car seat's back rest and seat and it does a wonderful job. Been using since 2013 with no issues with seat marks or indentations.
Old 04-13-19, 06:13 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I haven't put anything on the seat and it still looks great 89k miles later, sure there is some wear if you look at the seat from 5 inches away, but sure looks better to me than a towel or carseat.

Like people ceramic coat the outside of the car I believe there are silimar products to protect the leather.
Old 04-13-19, 07:13 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charley95
I use a beach towel on my lower portion of the drivers seat. I wear Levi's mostly and I think the pocket seams are hard on the leather. Our daily driver RX front seats look pretty worn even with regular leather care. No covering on those seats. When I had a 95 Vette I could swap both seats back and forth to even out the wear. And talk about crappy leather, that car had it!
Originally Posted by peasodos
I haven't put anything on the seat and it still looks great 89k miles later, sure there is some wear if you look at the seat from 5 inches away, but sure looks better to me than a towel or carseat.

Like people ceramic coat the outside of the car I believe there are silimar products to protect the leather.
Are you guys referring to someone using a seat protector to protect the leather as a cover (this would be akin to ceramic on the outside)? Like this?

Because that's not quite what this thread is about...as in not really talking about someone putting a towel down where adults will sit to protect the leather from clothing. I agree with you that there are products that protect leather from that without needing a towel or something.

This thread is about protecting both the finish and structural integrity of the leather when a child car seat is installed in the rear seat. The child car seats have sharp plastic edges and corners that will absolutely dig into and scratch/ruin the leather if you don't use something underneath when installing them. There is no product that does not create a physical barrier that will protect leather or seats from over 100lbs of force exerted on sharp plastic edges and corners when you have a properly installed child seat with a child in it. The back covers are good because kids don't understand the phrase "stop kicking the seats"

Last edited by np20412; 04-13-19 at 07:28 AM.
Amuse350z (04-14-19)
Old 04-21-19, 07:35 PM
Dragan913
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Use your back seat mats

I use the standard seat cover you have pictured but have the mat carpet side down on the seat then placed the seat cover over that. No printing of any kind and have used it with my two boys for 10 years now
bob256k (04-21-19)
Old 04-21-19, 08:17 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragan913
I use the standard seat cover you have pictured but have the mat carpet side down on the seat then placed the seat cover over that. No printing of any kind and have used it with my two boys for 10 years now
Thanks for the pointer! ill use this method when transporting the nieces and nephews!
Old 04-22-19, 05:29 AM
Dragan913
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Photo..

Im2bz2p345 (04-22-19)
Old 04-22-19, 07:07 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Oh yeah the floor mat will definitely work!

Quick Reply: Anyone use a CarSeat protector?