GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 08:10 AM
RichardB23
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Rotor Question

I sent my GS350 F Sport in for brake pad change and the dealer says i need new rotors and that they're 306 each. I feel like for that price you have alot of options (OEM style/drilled slotted) so i was wondering what do you guys run on y'alls cars?

any benefits/drawbacks?
Old 04-09-19, 08:57 AM
superboy74
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Richard, you can try https://www.buybrakes.com/lexus-gs350-f-sport-2015, I order combo kits for the front and back, went with https://www.buybrakes.com/lexus-gs35...or-and-pad-kit since I have an AWD model. I think the dealers are ripoff on most parts, they wanted $615 for the rear rotors for my car with pads.
The following 2 users liked this post by superboy74:
jdpdata (04-09-19), RichardB23 (04-09-19)
Old 04-09-19, 08:59 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Look on Rockauto.

Don't cheap out on rotors and pads. They are what stops you from fires and explosions.
The following users liked this post:
RichardB23 (04-09-19)
Old 04-09-19, 09:06 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

I just recently got StopTech rotors for my F Sport. Love the look of the rotors, but the Posi-quiet pads I chose for the front is squealing pretty badly. Just ordered some Akebono pads to see if they are quieter.
See my thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ch-rotors.html

You have your choice of StopTech, Centric, EBC, R1 for rotors. Most of these are 1pc only. If dealer quoted you $306 for front 2pc installed, that's not a bad deal. The OEM 2pc are a little bit lighter for reduced unstrung weight. I'd stick with OEM if you can. Most aftermarket pads/rotors may squeal badly. Don't think anyone have found a good combo yet.
RichardB23 (04-09-19)
Old 04-09-19, 09:07 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by superboy74
Hey Richard, you can try https://www.buybrakes.com/lexus-gs350-f-sport-2015, I order combo kits for the front and back, went with https://www.buybrakes.com/lexus-gs35...or-and-pad-kit since I have an AWD model. I think the dealers are ripoff on most parts, they wanted $615 for the rear rotors for my car with pads.
I got my brakes from Buybrakes.com too. Those guys are super helpful and price is right. I like them so much, yesterday I order new rotors/pads kit for my 4Runner too.
RichardB23 (04-09-19)
Old 04-09-19, 09:30 AM
RichardB23
Pole Position

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to cheap out on pads and rotors, i was just curious to see if there were better options for that price or less because 306 for a single rotor before tax and labor seemed steep to me and i know there are plenty of good aftermarket companies that might have a better option. i was just curious as to what everyone else ran because when i searched the forum i didnt find much as far as rotor information because it seemed that everyones main issue is squealing coming from the brakes. i was looking at power stop since i had great luck with those on my old tacoma with the drilled and slotted rotors and the extreme pads but wasnt sure what everyone else ran on their 4gs as its a new to me car that i know almost nothing about just yet.
Old 04-09-19, 09:42 AM
RichardB23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I just recently got StopTech rotors for my F Sport. Love the look of the rotors, but the Posi-quiet pads I chose for the front is squealing pretty badly. Just ordered some Akebono pads to see if they are quieter.
See my thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ch-rotors.html

You have your choice of StopTech, Centric, EBC, R1 for rotors. Most of these are 1pc only. If dealer quoted you $306 for front 2pc installed, that's not a bad deal. The OEM 2pc are a little bit lighter for reduced unstrung weight. I'd stick with OEM if you can. Most aftermarket pads/rotors may squeal badly. Don't think anyone have found a good combo yet.
buy brakes has the stoptech 2 pc rotors for the fronts which i might order instead of the 1pc power stops from rock auto. are the rear rotors 2 pc as well?
Old 04-09-19, 09:49 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Highly recommend Akebono brake pads. As far as rotors, I have ATE rotors currently and they are great....but also recommend Centric rotors which I used exclusively on my 2GS.
Old 04-09-19, 10:07 AM
kode3
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Just buy the whole kit online and do it yourself.

LEXUS OEM FACTORY (F-SPORT) FRONT BRAKE PADS AND ROTOR SET 2013-2018 GS350 (RWD)
Old 04-09-19, 10:14 AM
RichardB23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Highly recommend Akebono brake pads. As far as rotors, I have ATE rotors currently and they are great....but also recommend Centric rotors which I used exclusively on my 2GS.
i forgot about the akebono. i ordered the power stop z26 muscle car pads to see if they'll have good bite compared to OEM. have you used drilled and slotted rotors or only OE style rotors because i've been looking at drilled and slotted to help dissipate heat. i have a rather aggressive driving style and would like to see if the slotted rotors worked better than OE style.
Originally Posted by kode3
i plan on picking my car up tomorrow night as im working both of my jobs today and i will be doing everything this weekend.
Old 04-09-19, 10:15 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by RichardB23
buy brakes has the stoptech 2 pc rotors for the fronts which i might order instead of the 1pc power stops from rock auto. are the rear rotors 2 pc as well?
StopTech discontinued the 2pc for our cars (don't rely on BuyBrakes website, most of those parts are discontinued). You can only order 1pc now. See my thread for part no. R1 is the only vendor I know of that offers 2pc, but in light of recent disgruntled customers complains about rust, so I advise you to think twice before ordering from them.
Rear are 1pc same for AWD/RWD.
Old 04-09-19, 10:28 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

i forgot about the akebono. i ordered the power stop z26 muscle car pads to see if they'll have good bite compared to OEM. have you used drilled and slotted rotors or only OE style rotors because i've been looking at drilled and slotted to help dissipate heat. i have a rather aggressive driving style and would like to see if the slotted rotors worked better than OE style.
I have slotted rotors. The Akebono pads are just as good as OEM to me. I don't drive hard enough to know if there is a real difference between OEM rotors and the aftermarket slotted versions I have. They have performed exactly the way I have expected...also, I have AWD and have the smaller rotors (and brakes) compared to your RWD F sport..

You can see them here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-4k-miles.html
Old 04-09-19, 10:43 AM
RichardB23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jdpdata
StopTech discontinued the 2pc for our cars (don't rely on BuyBrakes website, most of those parts are discontinued). You can only order 1pc now. See my thread for part no. R1 is the only vendor I know of that offers 2pc, but in light of recent disgruntled customers complains about rust, so I advise you to think twice before ordering from them.
Rear are 1pc same for AWD/RWD.
gotcha i just read through your thread. i think i read it before but was concernced about the whole buybrakes ordering blakes and just drilling the pattern themselves. im highly considering the powerstop rotors from rock auto and seeing how that goes as of right now since ive had really good experience with their products before.
Originally Posted by AJLex19
I have slotted rotors. The Akebono pads are just as good as OEM to me. I don't drive hard enough to know if there is a real difference between OEM rotors and the aftermarket slotted versions I have. They have performed exactly the way I have expected...also, I have AWD and have the smaller rotors (and brakes) compared to your RWD F sport..

You can see them here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-4k-miles.html
ah ok didnt realize you were awd. i appreciate the input!
Old 04-09-19, 10:49 AM
RichardB23
Pole Position

i just wanna say thanks to all the hope so far and sorry if my questions are noob questions. everyones response and advice is very appreciated!
Old 04-09-19, 10:51 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

gotcha i just read through your thread. i think i read it before but was concernced about the whole buybrakes ordering blakes and just drilling the pattern themselves. im highly considering the powerstop rotors from rock auto and seeing how that goes as of right now since ive had really good experience with their products before.
No need to be concerned. The rotors are fine, I'm very happy with them. The drilled holes and slots are not 100% match from front to rear, but I doubt anyone would notice. All the blanks are made in China by the same factory anyways regardless of where you buy. Only thing is StopTech e-coated and drilled/slotted them with their own equipment. Very high quality High Carbon rotors. The pads are what will give you the squeals. I will slap on Akebono when I get them to see if they are quieter. If not, I'm going back to OEM pads. If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably go with OEM rotors and pads to save from all the headaches of dealing with squeaks.
RichardB23 (04-09-19)

Quick Reply: Rotor Question