GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I traded my GS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 09:02 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

For those of you who think the Lexus GS 350 should have a cheap-looking digital clock instead of a luxurious analog clock, have you seen the clock in the KIA K900? How about any of the clocks that Rolls Royce puts in their cars? Maserati?

KIA K900 Analog Clock

Bentley

Maserati
Old 03-19-19, 09:21 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I LOVE the analog clock in cars.
Old 03-19-19, 02:56 PM
lbcgav
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That Breitling tourbillon is crazy.
Old 03-19-19, 03:33 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
I LOVE the analog clock in cars.
Originally Posted by lbcgav
That Breitling tourbillon is crazy.
Can you believe some people prefer a cheap-*** digital clock to a luxurious analog clock?

Last edited by bclexus; 03-19-19 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 09:59 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by promethus7
Don't judge me, I traded my 15 GS350 for a 19 Kia K900. The days of the absurd Kia Amanti are long gone. You owe it to yourself to go take a test drive. If you can get past the badge and the dealership experience (which is lacking to say the least) You will be unbelievably surprised. They have finally managed to copy/borrow/steal just the right amount from merc/bmw/audi all at one.
Not judging here, best decision you made. Only major downside is KIA has one of the worst depreciation in the auto industry especially the K900. I've see 1 or 2 year old models go for a steak taco and bag of Cheetos. That being said I would take that K900 interior and features over the dinosaur GS interior.
Old 03-19-19, 10:12 PM
TheWizard
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Not judging here, best decision you made. Only major downside is KIA has one of the worst depreciation in the auto industry especially the K900. I've see 1 or 2 year old models go for a steak taco and bag of Cheetos. That being said I would take that K900 interior and features over the dinosaur GS interior.
LOL at bag of Cheetos.

I love the GS interior, especially the recessed navigation/infotainment screen. It's practical and never have to worry about glare issues. I haaaaaaaaaaate the big stupid tablet screen concept every manufacturer is doing. Looks cheap and like an afterthought.
Old 03-20-19, 03:05 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Can you believe some people prefer a cheap-*** digital clock to a luxurious analog clock?

Analog clocks are nice, especially the higher end ones. But you can't argue that digital ones are easier to read at a glance.
Old 03-20-19, 10:39 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AsianxWu
Analog clocks are nice, especially the higher end ones. But you can't argue that digital ones are easier to read at a glance.
What is interesting about a digital clock (versus an analog clock) is that after a few seconds of having glanced at a digital clock you can easily forget what time it is. The reason why is because a digital clock lacks the hour and minute hands that move around the clock face, so there is nothing physical that moves (like clock hands) for you to recall and remember their location. On the other hand (excuse the pun), glancing at an analog clock leaves the image in your mind of where the hour and minute hands are located on the clock's face, which allows you to easily recapture in your mind's eye where you saw the clock hands and thus to remember the time.

The brain is a wonderful thing!

The following users liked this post:
JDaveSC430 (06-08-20)
Old 03-25-19, 12:10 PM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Love my analog clock. Classy.
Old 03-25-19, 12:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I saw a new K900 yesterday. I hadn't been that thrilled with the redesign in pictures, but now that I saw it in real life, I really like it! Absolutely beautiful, with great proportions!
Old 03-25-19, 01:01 PM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

big mistake in my opinion but as long as you love it, then it's cool.

I'm Korean and I'd never buy myself a Hyundai, Kia, or long gone Daewoo. Obviously, this is just my opinion.
Old 03-26-19, 03:49 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I watched the review video and wow, that interior is much nicer than the GS. It would have been nice if Lexus used metal instead of plastic trim/speaker grills inside the GS.
Old 03-26-19, 05:15 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

You guys are comparing a 2012 GS platform with a 2019 Korean platform. Not really a fair comparison. But yes, the car definitely looks nice!
Old 03-26-19, 05:37 AM
Amuse350z
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
So why don't you go trade in for a Kia?
Old 04-01-19, 11:56 AM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So after having the car 3 weeks here are my thoughts. I switched to the K900 because I wanted something a little bigger and a bit softer. I looked at the usual suspects (5 series/E-Class/ A6 ) and they didn’t quite do it for me”. I had big hopes for the A6 but something about the two touch screens just made it seem like there was too much going on. I even tried out the Volvo S90 (nope). While I would have liked one of the big German’s, I couldn’t get anywhere close to the $100K price point. Furthermore the long wheelbase versions would have not fit in my garage. The K900 is by no means on Big German or LS level, however it is 90% of the way there for waaaaaaay less money.

I spend most of my time driving in ECO or Comfort mode. As such, the car is extremely compliant and drives smaller than it is. I’m sure the car will corner appropriately but realistically I didn’t purchase the car with that in mind. For me the car strikes a good balance between plush and “only if you asked too sport”. Although it is not light at 4600 lbs, it handles the weight well. What I mean, is in the city the weight does not slosh about or prompt you to yell “hard to starboard” like you would in an old caddy. Instead the torque vectoring and dampers do a great job so the car turns in surprising well, but clearly communicates not to push your luck.

Things I like the most:

The car is so quiet and composed. Defiantly more quiet and smoother than the other mid-sizers. As for the full sizers I think it, better than 7 series, comparable with LS, not on S-Class level yet (haven’t had the chance to drive or ride in an A8). In my opinion, I think it drives better than the GS, assuming you are into big cars and freeway driving. I’m sure on the track with a great driver, the GS is simply a sharper tool.

The same 365hp 3.3L Turbo V6 is in the K900 as in the Stinger however here it seems more appropriate here. There is pleeeenty of passing power and it can get out of its own way. Dare I say, this engine almost seems like too much for the Stinger but here it is at home. When I test drove the stinger it was a handful. But then again, some folks want that and don't have snow on the ground deep into March.

Decent MPG: BLUF: the GS got 20 MPG and the KIA gets 22 MPG. Same route, same gas station, same parking garage. Caveat: the KIA is a twin turbo V6, I am positive if I start romping on it or drive around in sports mode the KIA MPG will drop considerably.

Kia put allot of thought into the ergonomics. They realized that we all like different things and didn’t try to force the buyer into a “box”. Everything can be controlled from the big touch screen (if that is your thing), a Last GEN Audi style MMI ****, or Old school hard touch buttons (there is something about not having to look away from the road to adjust the fan speed that I like). Furthermore, the infortainment system is in everyway superior to what is the GS. Lexus of late just seems to be reluctant to admit that buyer don't like the touch pad and expect if not demand apple carplay/Samsung auto.

Also the interior is well executed, the leather is soft. everything is well lit, and looks pleasing. Sure, KIA had to cut cost somewhere, so the hard touch plastic is there if you go looking for it and the wood isn’t as real looking as it could be, with that being said at this price point I can look the other way.

Biggest let downs: I had to nitpick to find some

The inside is killer luxurious but the exterior is right on the edge of being too subtle. I wish that had done just a tad more on the outside.

The KIA limits the "canned" text message responses to only 4. Lexus gave me 15. So really I'm limited yes/no/omw/lol

No remote start from the key fob. However, you get UVO for 3 year free. Lexus uses Enform for a fee while KIA uses UVO for free. They pretty much look and function the same. The only real difference that matter to me is the KIA doesn’t’ ask you to enter a pin to execute a command. Enform Remote start was “sometimey” on the GS and took ~30 Sec to execute. The KIA take 15 sec to start.

The Kia has no place to put change (I live in a city with metered parking)

The turbo lag is present but manageable

Sound is in the ear of the beholder and with that being said think that both the base Lexus and ML system are not great but definitely superior to the KIA. Much to do has been made about the 900W 17 speaker Lexicon system with numerous highlights that the system also resides and a few Bentley models. I am sure it sounds nice for some but not for me. There are plenty of Highs and Mids but no low end. It is a good thing aftermarket subs/amp combo are cheap. The Kia battery is in the trunk so it won’t be as much work.

There is no hiding the fact that while this can certainly be considered a luxury vehicle, the dealership experience is commiserate with the other end of the spectrum.

Biggest Surprise: The back end will step out (slightly) if you ask it to. My GS would do it if it was wet or snowy but surprisingly the Kia did it in the dry. By happenstance I happen to be in sport mode and was a bit too happy on the throttle in an intersection, you get the picture.

Biggest Easter egg: The inflatable bolster and console lights that increase/decrease in brightness as your hand gets closer are nifty.

Biggest Novelty: Gauge cluster mounted blind spot cameras. Kia’s are better executed that the dash mounted one that Honda uses.

Custom drive mode that provides a digestible method to set up your driving experience. BMW give you the ability to fiddle with damn near everything. Whereas here I can only adjust the four drive systems to respond according to pre-established parameters. In custom mode the engine/suspension/AWD/steering can individually be set to eco/sport/comfort

Remains to be seen:

Every car depreciates, and realistically I’m sure based on the nameplate alone this one will go faster than others. On the bright side, it could be worse…it could say AMG on it.

As far as reliability, well we are about to see. I have heard nothing good or bad about the “current gen of Kia’s”. In any case a 60K bumper to bumper and 100K powertrain is plenty of cushion to work with and the first 6 service appointments are free. We all know that means the 7th appointment will be the $1k spark plugs, differential service appointment

“Supposedly”, the stinger launch control snuck into the K900. I’ll wait until 1k miles before trying that.

Last edited by promethus7; 04-01-19 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: I traded my GS350