GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My GS Out Ran A Cop!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-19, 04:05 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts
Default My GS Out Ran A Cop!

Not like in the old days but I still got away with it... so far.

There is a road I travel to and from work. There are 4 lanes. The right most lane at the light goes straight and either must merge or turn right into a mall. Owning a relatively quick GS 350 AWD, if the lane is backing up to the previous light I will pull up into the right lane and take off from there. I'm never the slow poke and never have traffic pile up behind me. Some people might not like my move but it is totally legal and lots of other people do it. The road is marked straight and turn. The top right to bottom left road is where I was with my car in the circled spot..

Today was one such day. The lead car in the left lane is a generic Chevy sedan with dark tinted windows. I pull up beside it about 10 seconds before the light changed. I cut a good light and pull him (assumed, could have been a woman) a fender from the light. I heard a tire squeal but know for a fact my car cannot spin a tire in a straight line on dry pavement. He backed off when it spun and I easily pulled over with a blinker and never broke 35 MPH. He caught up to me and was so tailgated me hard. I could not see anything but the little strip of his hood below the windshield. He was so close on my tail that he set off my blind spot monitor.

Since he was so close on my tail, I could see there were lights in his windshield above the rear view mirror. He continues on my rear like he was on a trailer until he turned off, blowing by me to race to a left turn lane for a subdivision. I couldn't get a look at this license plate. It was then I confirmed my suspicions that he was some sort of official vehicle. He had strobes in his grill. I don't know what agency he was with but I'll probably get a ticket in the next few days on trumped up charges. LOL

Ever had anything like this?
Old 03-12-19, 04:14 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Sounds like that generic Chevy sedan may have been a unmarked police or detective car.
Old 03-12-19, 04:15 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Careful, Dave's gonna be on you like white on rice!

Originally Posted by bclexus

Sounds like that generic Chevy sedan may have been a unmarked police or detective car.
Your gif is for a right hand drive car (if you think about what you are seeing there), bc.

I've got the left hand drive version on my Porsche profile:

Last edited by RandyV; 03-12-19 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-12-19, 04:19 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV

This guy was a poor sport at best.
Old 03-12-19, 04:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RandyV

Your gif is for a right hand drive car (if you think about what you are seeing there), bc.

I've got the left hand drive version on my Porsche profile:

Ha! I've never paid any attention to it. Thanks!
Old 03-12-19, 04:28 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
This guy was a poor sport at best.
I doubt seriously he'll waste any time on you. It would look bad for him to issue you a citation many hours after the infraction happened, especially considering that he could have stopped you if had wanted.

But, those Kentucky boys don't always do what is right. Therefore, I've taken the liberty of posting your mug shot for everyone to see.

Old 03-12-19, 04:29 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Wouldnt be surprised if the tailgating was to:

A) bait you into speeding more or taking off, at which point officer can cite you for any number of things: speeding, racing, etc.

Or

B) running your plate to ensure the vehicle is properly registered/not stolen/not involved in a large number of traffic violations in the past. Any of those and officer would have lit you up!

Also, side note.. That intersection is super dumb. It marks straight+right in your lane, but immediately after the intersection turns into a "right only" with a solid white line, indicating you can't legally change out of or into that lane. Is there a dotted bit further along that we can't see? Seems like poor/confusing lane marking.
Old 03-12-19, 04:34 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by np20412

A) bait you into speeding more or taking off, at which point officer can cite you for any number of things: speeding, racing, etc.

Or

B) running your plate to ensure the vehicle is properly registered/not stolen/not involved in a large number of traffic violations in the past. Any of those and officer would have lit you up!

Also, side note.. That intersection is super dumb. It marks straight+right in your lane, but immediately after the intersection turns into a "right only" with a solid white line, indicating you can't legally change out of or into that lane. Is there a dotted bit further along that we can't see? Seems like poor/confusing lane marking.
Old 03-12-19, 04:39 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The number of people on that show that get pulled over for "license plate light is out" and then get caught with meth, weed, drunk, etc. Is astounding
Old 03-12-19, 04:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The number of people on that show that get pulled over for "license plate light is out" and then get caught with meth, weed, drunk, etc. Is astounding
It truly is. I enjoy watching from time-to-time. Makes me realize just how many crazy, stupid people there are out there.

Old 03-12-19, 05:01 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Bingo! That lane is only for people turning right on either of those two streets. If you use it for anything else, you are disobeying the lane markings. If he was actually a cop, he must have been too busy to bother pulling you over.
Old 03-12-19, 05:05 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

The solid white line generally only discourages drivers from crossing over it but does not prohibit it. I'm sure the law varies from state to state though. But I can see how a cop can write you a ticket if he find that you crossed the white line in an unsafe manner.... but crossing the white line in itself is not a violation... at least not in CA.
Old 03-12-19, 05:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I don't think crossing a solid white line is a violation in any state...
Old 03-12-19, 05:16 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Technically you can cross the white solid line in CA but it is discouraged.

"CHP spokeswoman Roxanne Anderson says that in nine out of 10 occasions, crossing the line is against the law because adjacent signs and striping on the pavement take precedent and make what otherwise might be a legal maneuver a no-no.

Once a motorist in a turning or exit lane passes a sign saying “exit only” or drives over a turn arrow, that motorist may not legally veer back into the other lane, Anderson said. Because such signs and arrows are present almost every time there’s a white line, the correct procedure is usually clear."
Old 03-12-19, 05:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I think Knucklebus needs to be arrested immediately and jailed with bond set at no less than $100,000. The bum almost caused an officer of the law to rear-end him.

Quick Reply: My GS Out Ran A Cop!