GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

StopTech rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 02:50 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by TXMAG
I'll bet money it's somehow related to the caliper as it's the one common thing amongst all these cars reporting noise. When you guys swap pads are you lubricating the back of the shims and edges? What about the caliper pin that the pad rides on? All of those are metal-to-metal surfaces that will move a bit when the brakes are applied. It may be worth pulling the pads and checking the movement of the caliper pistons as well.

I had an awful squeal all the time with the OEM setup and since swapping the pads to the Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics and lubricating everything like above they work perfectly.
I specifically gave my installer CRC red brake lube. I saw him lubricating back of shims really well. Not sure if he lubricated caliper pin that the pad rides on. But right after installing the Akebono pads, I had zero squealing. Even after a car wash, no squealing. Squeal started this week after I left my car in garage for a few days. Perhaps rust on the rotors developed while it was sitting and somehow cause minor vibrations leading to squeals. But I did drive around town for about 30 miles using heavy braking, so that should have blown off any rust on the rotors. I can't explain why it didn't squeal initially, but now is starting to squeal. Maybe the lube is coming off after a few weeks? Do I need to pull pads back out and re-lube?

Originally Posted by chyeea03
I wonder if anyone has tried OEM/aftermarket 2pc rotor with aftermarket pads and had squealing..
If you read this thread, you would see some had squealing with OE rotors with ceramic pads. Don't know of any aftermarket 2pc rotors except R1 Concept, but nobody that have those rotors have reported in yet.
Old 04-30-19, 03:45 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I specifically gave my installer CRC red brake lube. I saw him lubricating back of shims really well. Not sure if he lubricated caliper pin that the pad rides on. But right after installing the Akebono pads, I had zero squealing. Even after a car wash, no squealing. Squeal started this week after I left my car in garage for a few days. Perhaps rust on the rotors developed while it was sitting and somehow cause minor vibrations leading to squeals. But I did drive around town for about 30 miles using heavy braking, so that should have blown off any rust on the rotors. I can't explain why it didn't squeal initially, but now is starting to squeal. Maybe the lube is coming off after a few weeks? Do I need to pull pads back out and re-lube?

If you read this thread, you would see some had squealing with OE rotors with ceramic pads. Don't know of any aftermarket 2pc rotors except R1 Concept, but nobody that have those rotors have reported in yet.
I've tried the lube that came with the Akebono pads, CRC brake quiet, and copper anti-seize brake lube and there wasn't much of a difference other than the CRC being a bit louder than the copper lube. Were the OE rotors with aftermarket pads the 2pc rotors? The rotors that came with my car (bought CPO) already had the 2pc swapped for a 1pc which was probably because of the TSB.
Old 04-30-19, 04:46 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I've had these on my 2 piece rotors for 7,500 miles so far with no issues.
Old 04-30-19, 05:01 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

This is such an odd issue for multiple people to have. I've certainly never seen something quite this persistent across multiple product ranges...
Old 04-30-19, 05:03 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by chyeea03
I've tried the lube that came with the Akebono pads, CRC brake quiet, and copper anti-seize brake lube and there wasn't much of a difference other than the CRC being a bit louder than the copper lube. Were the OE rotors with aftermarket pads the 2pc rotors? The rotors that came with my car (bought CPO) already had the 2pc swapped for a 1pc which was probably because of the TSB.
I can only speak of my own experience.

1. OE 2pc rotors with Posi-Quiet ceramic pads. Squeal only when pulling out of garage in the mornings. After driving down the street a little bit, no squealing after that.
2. StopTech 1pc rotors with Centric Posi-Quiet = Squeal like crazy
3. StopTech 1pc rotors with Akebono = Squeal less than Centric Posi-Quiet, but still persistent squealing when applying brakes hard. If apply light brake pressure, minimal squeal

I've read another member that got the OE 2pc swapped for 1pc, didn't squeal at first, but eventually it did squeal. He had to swap back to OE 2pc rotors. Something tells me that this car don't like anything other than original OE 2pc rotors. Probably due to design of the calipers.
The following users liked this post:
mkmckinley (02-24-20)
Old 04-30-19, 05:04 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by charley95

I've had these on my 2 piece rotors for 7,500 miles so far with no issues.
Is that ceramic or semi-metallic? Where did you purchase?
Old 04-30-19, 05:05 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

They're ceramic and I bought them at Advanced Auto Parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by charley95:
jdpdata (04-30-19), mkmckinley (02-24-20)
Old 04-30-19, 05:12 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXMAG
This is such an odd issue for multiple people to have. I've certainly never seen something quite this persistent across multiple product ranges...
Yeah seriously. It's pissing me off so much I wasted so much time and money with these stupid brakes. I've never had any car that was so picky with front brakes. I can swap back my OE brakes as they're still in good condition, only had 25K miles on them. But that means going back to my mechanic and another $120 to swap brakes. Plus $650 down the toilet for the StopTech rotors and pads. Could try to swap them myself to save a few bucks but I don't have a jack and don't feel like killing myself. Lesson learned I guess Anyone reading this, don't even try anything aftermarket with the F Sport brakes. Go with OEM 2pc rotors save yourself the grief.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdpdata:
Cal916 (11-04-19), Yong3381 (11-04-19)
Old 04-30-19, 07:09 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So are you going to go back to your OEM 2pc rotors? I'd hate to have to go back to the shop to swap your old rotors back on and be stuck with some good looking drilled/slotted rotors as paperweights.
Old 04-30-19, 07:29 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

I haven't decided what to do yet. Will probably keep trying to bed in the pads some more. If squealing persists, I'll swap back OE rotors.
Old 04-30-19, 10:22 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

did any1 try the r1 2 piece rotor with ceramic pads i know its expenisive but i just want to stop the squealing sound.
Old 04-30-19, 10:25 PM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

It’s pretty easy to swap out the rotors and pads yourself.
Old 05-01-19, 02:19 PM
Marcusmcb1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shurik74
From what I remember reading here, most of us go with original rotors and StopTech pads. I can't remember brand name for a second choice for brake pads. I'm on second set of pads with original rotors, about 45K miles now, next rotors will be OEM again, very satisfied with them.

My favorite part with GS, it's so easy to replace pad and rotors.... my 2c...
Are you getting any squeaking sounds with OEM rotors and StopTech pads? Looking for a good combo to avoid squeaking. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-19, 02:41 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marcusmcb1
Are you getting any squeaking sounds with OEM rotors and StopTech pads? Looking for a good combo to avoid squeaking. Thanks in advance!
I have no major squeaks with OEM 2pc rotors and OEM pads. Only time they squeal is first pulling out of my garage in the mornings. By the time I get down first Stop sign, it super quiet.
Do you have F Sport? They have different 14" 2pc rotors than the Base models.
The following users liked this post:
Yong3381 (11-05-19)
Old 05-01-19, 02:41 PM
PlPete
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Is everyone performing a proper bed-in procedure when swapping in new pads and rotors. This can't be unique to Lexus but I have never heard of people have so many noise issues except for when the brakes were not set up properly. It's absolutely crucial to have this done, especially on slotted and /or drilled rotors. This is a good resource - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=85

Quick Reply: StopTech rotors