GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

StopTech rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 05:41 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
i got akebono pads with oem 2 piece rotor on my gs350 f sport too and it squeal after awhile.
How bad of a squeal? Just in the morning pulling out or all the times. I can deal with occasional squeal in the morning. But the Centric 105 pads were so bad they squeal every time I touch the brake. Sounds like a garbage truck going down the road, very embarrassing. I drove about 75 miles today with the Akebono, very quiet no squeak. We shall see if they start to squeak. I had my mechanic lube them really good this time so that may help.
Old 04-12-19, 06:16 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
How bad of a squeal? Just in the morning pulling out or all the times. I can deal with occasional squeal in the morning. But the Centric 105 pads were so bad they squeal every time I touch the brake. Sounds like a garbage truck going down the road, very embarrassing. I drove about 75 miles today with the Akebono, very quiet no squeak. We shall see if they start to squeak. I had my mechanic lube them really good this time so that may help.
squeal when the brake is cold, after warm up u cant hear any more squeal anymore.
Old 04-12-19, 06:20 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by richard203
squeal when the brake is cold, after warm up u cant hear any more squeal anymore.
I can deal with that.
Old 04-13-19, 03:05 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Default Things are looking very promising indeed

Pull car out of garage after it sat overnight: No squeal

Wash car, wet rotors surely it will squeal now right? Nope, quiet as can be no squealing.

Still need to bed-in these pads (although Akebono dont require a bedding procedure) a bit more but I've think I've found the Holy Grail. These StopTech/Centric rotors and Akebono pads plus some CRC Brake lube may be what we've been looking for boys! Affordable quality aftermarket brakes that doesn't squeal. I'll update this thread after putting some more miles on them.

Last edited by jdpdata; 04-13-19 at 03:48 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by jdpdata:
CaptRog21 (04-14-19), jaguar_83 (01-17-22), maclem8223 (04-14-19), NickMayer (05-22-19)
Old 04-29-19, 08:38 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Update: after 200 miles on the Akebono, they're starting to squeal now too! Not as bad as the Centric Posi-Quiet. If I go really easy on the brakes, no squealing. But if I stop hard, squeals like crazy. I'm at wits end with this new brake kit, thinking I must put back my OE rotors and pads. Anyone with any ideas? Do I need to bed-in my pads some more?
Old 04-29-19, 10:54 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang, I was really hoping this was the right combo. I installed the Akebono pads on my OEM rotor but they squeal embarrassingly loud when regularly braking coming to a full stop. Hard braking doesn't squeal oddly enough. I was going to buy those same StopTech rotors you have if you still had no squeal. How hard of a braking are you doing that they squeal like crazy? Does it still squeal after your rotors theoretically should have warmed up?
Old 04-29-19, 11:36 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

It squeals embarrassingly loud when first pulling out of garage. Much louder than OEM pads/rotors. As I drive and slightly applying brakes to warm up the pads, squealing subsides a little bit but it doesn't go away like with OEM rotors and pads. If I brake really early coming to a red light then ease off brakes a bit just before fully stopped, it squeaks just a bit. With windows rolled up I can hardly hear it, but it's always there. Slamming on brakes will cause very loud squealing even after it has warmed up. I'm at a loss, don't know what else to do. Will try to bed-in few more hundred miles and report back. Very dissapointed to say the least. I was really hoping this kit would work well.
Old 04-30-19, 10:56 AM
truthbtold
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same problem with OEM rotor/Akebono ceramic pads. I couldn't deal with it after 5k miles so I went ahead and put on Centric posi-quiet pads. Haven't heard a single squeal ever since.
Old 04-30-19, 11:13 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by truthbtold
I had the same problem with OEM rotor/Akebono ceramic pads. I couldn't deal with it after 5k miles so I went ahead and put on Centric posi-quiet pads. Haven't heard a single squeal ever since.
That's weird because the Centric Posi-Quiet I had before was squealing even worst than the Akebono. So frustrating that we all have random squealing with these ceramic pads no rhymes or reasons as to why it is happening. I have exact same Posi-qiuet on my 4runner, it's super quiet not a single squeak. Freaking F Sport front brakes are driving me insane 🤬
Old 04-30-19, 11:49 AM
jsant1070
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone tried the aftermarket rotors with OEM pads? I know the dust is still an issue but at least aftermarket rotors are affordable once the OEMs wear out...
Old 04-30-19, 12:26 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jsant1070
Has anyone tried the aftermarket rotors with OEM pads? I know the dust is still an issue but at least aftermarket rotors are affordable once the OEMs wear out...
Yes I have. I had bad squealing with Akebono pads and Stoptech rotors so I then tried stock pads with Stoptech rotors and they still squeal. Not as much as with the Akebono but still squeals bad when normal braking. You have to soft brake to get minimal to moderate squeal. Normal braking is a horrendous loud squeal and super hard braking (panic braking style) gives no squeal.
Old 04-30-19, 12:53 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Yes I have. I had bad squealing with Akebono pads and Stoptech rotors so I then tried stock pads with Stoptech rotors and they still squeal. Not as much as with the Akebono but still squeals bad when normal braking. You have to soft brake to get minimal to moderate squeal. Normal braking is a horrendous loud squeal and super hard braking (panic braking style) gives no squeal.
I can confirm this, I have to be very gentle on the brakes to avoid squealing which is a PITA because I have to change the way I drive. Any aggressive driving and stopping will cause squealing. StopTech rotors with two type ceramic pads (Centric Posi-Quiet and Akebono) I've tried so far resulted to squealing. I guess it's something related the the rotors material and ceramic pads or maybe the increase un-sprung weight of the aftermarket rotors, albeit it's only ~4lbs difference between StopTech vs OE rotors.
Old 04-30-19, 01:17 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I can confirm this, I have to be very gentle on the brakes to avoid squealing which is a PITA because I have to change the way I drive. Any aggressive driving and stopping will cause squealing. StopTech rotors with two type ceramic pads (Centric Posi-Quiet and Akebono) I've tried so far resulted to squealing. I guess it's something related the the rotors material and ceramic pads or maybe the increase un-sprung weight of the aftermarket rotors, albeit it's only ~4lbs difference between StopTech vs OE rotors.
Could be on to something with the weight...lots of people who have gone from the 2-piece aluminum F sport rotors down to the 1 piece steel (5lbs heavier) under the LSB report that they have really bad squeal with the replacement 1 piece rotors.

Personally I have heard some squealing with the 1-piece rotors but it's not that bad and usually disappears within a few miles - so that may in fact be part of it?
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (04-30-19)
Old 04-30-19, 02:28 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll bet money it's somehow related to the caliper as it's the one common thing amongst all these cars reporting noise. When you guys swap pads are you lubricating the back of the shims and edges? What about the caliper pin that the pad rides on? All of those are metal-to-metal surfaces that will move a bit when the brakes are applied. It may be worth pulling the pads and checking the movement of the caliper pistons as well.

I had an awful squeal all the time with the OEM setup and since swapping the pads to the Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics and lubricating everything like above they work perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (04-30-19)
Old 04-30-19, 02:34 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if anyone has tried OEM/aftermarket 2pc rotor with aftermarket pads and had squealing..

Quick Reply: StopTech rotors