GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New Tires / Great Deal!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 12:06 PM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Tires / Great Deal!

Hit 20K miles on the F Sport and (no surprise) needed new front brakes and 4 tires.I replaced the Bridgestone RE050’s with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I am really impressed with the difference.Tire is fantastic.
Steering is surprisingly noticeably tighter and more responsive, car rides significantly smoother & quieter, and handling is much improved.Since I’m in Calif, summer tires are perfect.However, we have had a lot of rain recently, and the tire has performed great is the wet too.
I also stumbled onto an incredible deal on these tires from COSTCO.They had a one day only online deal for Michelin tires which included an immediate $70 rebate and then a further 25% rebate by using my COSTCO credit card. Got all 4 tires for about $825 installed!I never used the COSTCO Auto Service Center before, but I have to say they did a good & quick install.Price included all install, new valve stems, balancing, sensors, nitrogen fill, road hazard warranty, free lifetime flat repair/rotate/balancing/bolt torque re-check/nitrogen. I’m a happy camper!
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (02-19-19)
Old 02-19-19, 12:23 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Wow! That's a great deal indeed. Normally they're around $1500 + installation.
I called Costco last week to inquire about tire prices, they didn't tell me anything about this deal. When was it available?
I went with AS3+ instead for better tread wear but damn would have gone with PS4S if I got this deal.
Not sure if I'd trust Costco to mount tires on my new JDM rims though. I don't believe they have Touchless tire mounting machines.

Edit: are you AWD or RWD? AWD tires are significantly cheaper than staggered setup on RWD.

Last edited by jdpdata; 02-19-19 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 03:30 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for posting this gflexus. The rebate deal is still going on here at Costco in Maryland, but not the 25% rebate. Total out-the-door price for me is $865, but i also have about $170 in rebate bucks that i can use towards the purchase. My only concern is the treadwear on Michelin tires. I used Michelin's on my Audi and they would only last about 20k miles. I put a set of Pirelli's on my GS at about 28k miles and now have 71k and the Pirelli's are only about halfway worn so decisions decisions.....by the way, i have an AWD GS.
Old 02-21-19, 08:34 AM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

To answer the above questions:

1).. My GS is an F Sport with RWD Staggered 19's (stock set up).

2). The COSTCO 25% off Michelin deal was kind of like a "Black Friday" deal, except it was 1 day only on New Years Day and for on-line orders only. Tires were then shipped to my locate COSTCO for install. Even the COSTCO tire center manager said he had never seen such a good deal before.

3). As far as tread wear, the Mich PS4';s have a "300 rating" and a 30,000 mile warranty (15,000 if staggered). Much better than the stock Bridgestones and very good for max performance tires! I'm not that concerned about the wear anyway as my car is leased and I will only have it for another year.

Frankly I have leased many cars in the past years, and this is the first one I have ever had to spend any maintenance $$ on....tires and front brakes in this case....so that was an unexpected surprise given the Lexus reputation for reliability!
Old 02-21-19, 09:12 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

You got a great deals on a staggered setup
I wish I went to PS4S instead of AS3+.
My rear tire is rubbing really bad due to the 6 ribs design of the AS3+.
Old 02-21-19, 03:44 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
You got a great deals on a staggered setup
I wish I went to PS4S instead of AS3+.
My rear tire is rubbing really bad due to the 6 ribs design of the AS3+.

Are you lowered?
Old 02-21-19, 05:30 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by bob256k
Are you lowered?
Yup! RSR Active Coilovers
Old 02-21-19, 09:56 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Michelins wear to fast. Pirelli cinturato p7 tires have gone 40k miles for me and they are maybe 80% worn. A great tire. I drive like an idiot....wot all the time
Old 02-22-19, 06:50 AM
ValnVer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barkley45
Thanks for posting this gflexus. The rebate deal is still going on here at Costco in Maryland, but not the 25% rebate. Total out-the-door price for me is $865, but i also have about $170 in rebate bucks that i can use towards the purchase. My only concern is the treadwear on Michelin tires. I used Michelin's on my Audi and they would only last about 20k miles. I put a set of Pirelli's on my GS at about 28k miles and now have 71k and the Pirelli's are only about halfway worn so decisions decisions.....by the way, i have an AWD GS.

Barkley what part of MD are you?
Old 02-22-19, 07:12 AM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Eyekur - I agree with you on the durability of the Pirelli's. I drive pretty hard, so im surprised that the tires arent worn past the 50% mark.
ValnVer - im in Howard County