GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

RSR Best*i Active Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 05:44 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
I wouldn't use the height of the vehicle to measure clearance. You should be able to get full range of movement from the suspension system. From what I have seen, too wide of spacers/wheels/tires are the issue.
I think my offset are good 20 x 9 +37 & 20 x 10 +42. And tires (245/35/20 275/30/20) should be good too, I've checked with "tires calculator" and those are correct +1 sizes and many on here run those sizes without much issues. I believe my issue is the rear driver fender liner is interfering with the tire. This car had a minor accident in the rear quarter panel, body shop probably didn't put the liner back correctly. That's why on rear driver tire is rubbing. When I turn sharp left, no rubbing on passenger side at all. Only rub when make sharp right turns. I will need to go to body shop to have them readjust that liner. Really it's not that bad, just a bit annoying squeaky sound when it rubs.

Old 02-22-19, 04:05 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Took the GS to pickup some dinner for the family. This was the longest drive I had since installing the coilovers, about 1 hour round-trip of mostly freeway speed. I drove in S+ for most of the time. Happy to report the ride was very comfortable. It's much firmer than stock, but not teeth chattering stiffness either. I had my installer set the dampers in the middle. I may have them adjust to a couple more clicks toward firmer to see how it feels. The roads were pretty rough, traveled over some construction areas with unevenness on the road. At no time did the car bottomed out. Hitting a dip the car bounce once then regain composure immediately, never any floating feeling. Definitely can do a road trip if the roads are nice. And to my surprise, no more rubbing in the back since I removed that giant heavy box from the trunk. Will go pickup the kids in a few minutes, and see if it rubs with them in the back seats.

I did have a bone-head moment. I pulled up to the parking space, pulling forward then I heard a loud "crunch". My heart stopped, I thought I damaged the front bumper. Car is so low now, I'm hitting my front lip on concrete barrier..DOH! No major damage, just some scratches. So glad Tommy put a bunch of screws on this lip..it's not going anywhere. Been meaning to take it off. Now is probably a good time.

Will probably take this lip off. Want to go with something else that doesn't stick out too far. L-Style front lip?
Old 02-23-19, 11:11 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Took the GS to pickup some dinner for the family. This was the longest drive I had since installing the coilovers, about 1 hour round-trip of mostly freeway speed. I drove in S+ for most of the time. Happy to report the ride was very comfortable. It's much firmer than stock, but not teeth chattering stiffness either. I had my installer set the dampers in the middle. I may have them adjust to a couple more clicks toward firmer to see how it feels. The roads were pretty rough, traveled over some construction areas with unevenness on the road. At no time did the car bottomed out. Hitting a dip the car bounce once then regain composure immediately, never any floating feeling. Definitely can do a road trip if the roads are nice. And to my surprise, no more rubbing in the back since I removed that giant heavy box from the trunk. Will go pickup the kids in a few minutes, and see if it rubs with them in the back seats.

I did have a bone-head moment. I pulled up to the parking space, pulling forward then I heard a loud "crunch". My heart stopped, I thought I damaged the front bumper. Car is so low now, I'm hitting my front lip on concrete barrier..DOH! No major damage, just some scratches. So glad Tommy put a bunch of screws on this lip..it's not going anywhere. Been meaning to take it off. Now is probably a good time.

Will probably take this lip off. Want to go with something else that doesn't stick out too far. L-Style front lip?
Lexon?

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-23-19, 04:02 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Lexon?

-Josh
nah...cracking an expensive CF lip will hurt. I'll stick with cheap eBay replica lip. Probably will switch to L-Style for more subtle look and it doesn't extend out as far.
Old 02-25-19, 06:10 AM
TarmacSL3
Intermediate

Received 245 Likes on 126 Posts

Just removed RSR box from my trunk where the installer put all my old suspension parts. Damn that box is at least 150lbs - wonder if that was causing my rubbing. I know the RSR coilovers don't weight more than 67lbs max cuz UPS had that the shipping label. SPC camber arms were forged, very light vs stock. Kind of got me thinking how much weight I shaved off the GS. Weds Mavericks 709M were about 30-31lbs each, I weighted them before putting tires on. Anyone knows the weight of OEM 19" F Sport wheels? And then I also got JoeZ catback, that got to result in significant weight savings too. Kinda want to dyno this thing now LOL
I weighed my 2017 OEM F Sports when I swapped wheels, not sure if the 2015's weigh the same.
19x8 +45 = 31.4lbs
19x9 +60 = 33.2lbs
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (02-25-19)
Old 06-10-19, 04:30 PM
bklortz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new here - just got a used '14 GS350 F sport. I picked up a set of RCF wheels which look great but make the wheel gap look ridiculous. I'll post pic. I'm considering springs or coilovers.

This car is a compromise for me - sportier than a camry but still ok to drive around old folks sometimes. Are coilovers overkill? Will I notice the difference over springs just driving streets?

Jdpdata - what's your long-term review? Still liking them. I would only consider coilovers that work with AVS.
Old 06-10-19, 04:38 PM
bklortz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel gap with RCF wheels

It looks like the rears will probably rub with coilovers (or springs). Anyone know for sure?

Just painted my calipers over the weekend - I hope the paint lasts. I used VHT spray paint. I've used G2 before - first time with spray paint.
Old 06-10-19, 05:21 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

@bklortz I'm do wish these RSR coils were rated at 12/10K instead of 9/8.3K. Going over bumps and dips on the road at anything over 50MPH will cause my fronts to rub. It's not a reassuring feeling..i hate it. I'm super paranoid driving on the freeway now. Don't want to destroy my fenders going too fast. Probably will raise up the front 0.25" to compensate. Other than that I do love them. Very high quality and super comfortable at lower speed. Just be reasonable with your expectation. If you're going to lower alot, say 1.5"-2", you'll probably have to do some fender mods to avoid rubbing. Not sure what sizes are your tires, but if you're not running 245/275 front and rears, I think you'll be OK. If I have to do it over again, I'll probably opt to go with CKS coilovers with custom Swift Springs. These RSR coils are too soft for this heavy car IMO. But stiffer springs will result in a rougher ride...so chose your poison.

And yes, I did have my calipers paint with VHT - Burnt Orange. Great paint it's holding up well.

Old 03-23-20, 10:17 AM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

JdpData,
Can you comment on how much adjustment was required from the initial setting the coilovers came with from RS-R? I am installing tomorrow and would like any tips or lessons learned you may have.
Thanks
G
Old 03-23-20, 10:25 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

I didn't do the actual adjustment myself, I had my installer did it. He initially set the dial all the way to softest setting (counter-clockwise until it stop). Then he turned clockwise 12 rotations. That's medium setting. I'm still testing to see if I prefer it more firm or soft.
I don't think your Basic*i coilovers have secondary adjustments on the base of the dampers like my Best*i. Yours is preset at the factory, I'm not sure how firm or soft it would be - I image it would be in medium setting too. Your only adjustment is done with AVS motor. I believe that turn the dial 3 rotation.
gdog5149 (03-23-20)
Old 03-23-20, 10:53 AM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

I didn't do the actual adjustment myself, I had my installer did it. He initially set the dial all the way to softest setting (counter-clockwise until it stop). Then he turned clockwise 12 rotations. That's medium setting. I'm still testing to see if I prefer it more firm or soft.
I don't think your Basic*i coilovers have secondary adjustments on the base of the dampers like my Best*i. Yours is preset at the factory, I'm not sure how firm or soft it would be - I image it would be in medium setting too. Your only adjustment is done with AVS motor. I believe that turn the dial 3 rotation.
Thanks
I also went with SPC camber arms as the Megan version was back ordered from everyone. I am praying that the shop I am using will be able to properly install these and adjust accordingly.
G
Old 03-23-20, 11:31 PM
dTxworld
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

when i installed mine, fronts were pretty good out the box but the rears i had to lower a little bit
gdog5149 (03-24-20)
Old 04-30-20, 11:48 AM
gdog5149
Pit Crew

I need to raise mine a bit....
jonathancl (04-30-20)
Old 10-15-20, 02:15 AM
KVelasqu3z
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently installed these Coilover but the newer model for the ‘16+. I definitely agree with you that the springs should be higher. Currently I am just waiting for them to settle down then I’ll be having Alingment done at Impex or Chewerks. I will have to read the reviews to see which one would be better for me.