GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Accelerated rear tire wear... especially on one side (picture)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 10:14 PM
habitual
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accelerated rear tire wear... especially on one side (eta- alignment results)

Did a quick search and didn't find anything, so if I missed a thread with good info link it up for me.

I have a 2015 F Sport. Bought it with just over 40k, now at 56k. They gave me new tires when I bought it l/certified (potenzas I think, I can check tomorrow, never cared because they suck), and they are all ready to be replaced. However, the rears have some bad inside edge wear. I noticed it when I had my first nail a few months ago. I plugged it and went on with life. Just a few days ago I noticed that my right rear seems to have some VERY bad wear on the inside on the tire- in fact, I can see the steel belt starting to wear through. The left is still just showing somewhat accelerated wear, nothing close to what the right is doing.

I'm guessing at some point my rear right started to toe out? See picture. I've never seen wear quite like it. I'm worried I may have a damaged control arm? Other than take it to an alignment shop once my new wheels and tires come in, is there anything I can check in the driveway?

Last edited by habitual; 02-21-19 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added alignment results
Old 02-16-19, 12:03 AM
kode3
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Seems like you really just needed tires 5000 miles ago.
The following users liked this post:
Nxplicable (02-18-19)
Old 02-16-19, 12:06 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Your Camber must be really out of whack. Our cars don't have adjustable camber in the rears only reason I can think of is the car was involved in some sort of an accident.

My guess is they put the new tires on to cover up the problem. I would bring it straight back to the dealer and have them fix this under warranty asap.

No tire wears out that fast even the cheap factory tires don't unless you have been doing a lot of burnouts. The uneven wear on the one side is a red flag.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-16-19 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-16-19, 01:29 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

THAT IS SOME WEIRD TYRE WEAR something wrong there, get it checked because its putting pressure on your wheel bearings and all suspension bushes.
Old 02-16-19, 06:11 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Check the alignment and see what's wrong.

If it's toe, that adjustable.
If it's camber, that indicates another problem, but it could still be fixable with adjustable camber arms.
Old 02-16-19, 06:12 AM
waygreen
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You're obviously going to need to get it aligned but I would jack it up and take the wheel off to look for noticeably damaged suspension components. Your toe is definitely out and you may have damaged components (may or may not be visible) throwing off the camber. The rest of the tire is essentially bald😲. You gotta be careful man! You're gonna kill yourself or somebody else. Check your tires way more often!
Old 02-16-19, 06:28 AM
habitual
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peasodos
Your Camber must be really out of whack. Our cars don't have adjustable camber in the rears only reason I can think of is the car was involved in some sort of an accident.

My guess is they put the new tires on to cover up the problem. I would bring it straight back to the dealer and have them fix this under warranty asap.

No tire wears out that fast even the cheap factory tires don't unless you have been doing a lot of burnouts. The uneven wear on the one side is a red flag.
the only thing that makes me doubt accident is that it was a one owner lease traded back in and then it was certified.
Old 02-16-19, 06:36 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Kindly tell the boss man/woman in the back seat to lose weight. More weight on the right rear corner increases negative camber.

Check the DOT code on that tire too. Are you 100% certain they had replaced it?
Old 02-16-19, 07:01 AM
habitual
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by er34
Kindly tell the boss man/woman in the back seat to lose weight. More weight on the right rear corner increases negative camber.

Check the DOT code on that tire too. Are you 100% certain they had replaced it?
Pretty sure, I remember the paint markers still being on the tires when I took delivery.

What visually should I be looking for when I jack it up later and take the wheel off? Anything I can check or measure without specialized alignment tools?
Old 02-16-19, 09:09 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by habitual
the only thing that makes me doubt accident is that it was a one owner lease traded back in and then it was certified.
They certified a car with the alignment totally out of wack on the rear passenger? Potentially worn out or damaged suspenion components. Hard to believe they did an alignment or looked at that part of the car and not see something wrong. The previous set of tires would of had the same wear pattern on that side.
Old 02-16-19, 09:15 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

It is a known problem with this car. You need a new tire pronto and you need to know what your rear geometry is. As stated before, you can have the toe adjusted but if it is excessive camber (my problem on my 2013 AWD) you will need camber arms to correct it.

Here's my thread where I caught mine early enough to correct it, despite some arguing that the Toyota gods are infallible. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ocedure-2.html

Here's another thread about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...amber-kit.html
Old 02-16-19, 09:58 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Your life depends on 4 tires on the road. Start with alignment and amke things right ASAP. That picture scares me...
Old 02-16-19, 11:35 AM
habitual
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
Your life depends on 4 tires on the road. Start with alignment and amke things right ASAP. That picture scares me...
I'm pretty sure I've got a couple thousand more left in the rest of them. I just took the rim off and applied about half a pint of rubber cement over the belt that is showing. Should get me back and forth to work for another few weeks. Besides, my commute isn't over rough terrain, it's 40 miles a day down mostly freeway at 70-75mph. I bet they'll be fine.
Old 02-16-19, 01:27 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had unusual wear, same location on a set of stock lexus chrome 18 inch wheels. Turns out cause was a bent rim.
Old 02-16-19, 01:31 PM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't continue to drive on those tires. Just don't. Extremely dangerous and you could kill someone if you blow a tire on the freeway.

I can't believe you'd consider driving in those tires...

Quick Reply: Accelerated rear tire wear... especially on one side (picture)