GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Title trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-19, 10:05 PM
Nxplicable
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Title trouble...

So after 4 months of obsessive searching at all hours on multiple sites for cars at dealers from coast to coast, I found a CPO 2015 GS 350 AWD F-Sport in my 2nd color choice (Liquid Platinum/Cabernet) at a dealer close to where I work in Boston, MA. I e-mailed several times over a couple days to confirm the colors and options, and having been the first to do so I put a down payment to hold it once it was determined that the Vspec sheet confirmed the specs I was looking for. Woohoo! My first Lexus ever after 32 years of Mazda loyalty.

Well, almost 2 weeks have passed since I first saw the partially accurate post with standard manufacturer images (base non-F-Sport). The test drive was great, the car is spotless, I was starstruck. Meanwhile, I've had 3 occasions where my wife and I were all set to leave work and Uber to the dealer to finalize the sale and drive away happy (on days I was told the title "should be there")... only to be told the title hadn't arrived at the dealership yet. So, now I wait another WEEK, as I was told today. I keep hearing various stories from the sales guy and the pre-owned manager as to why this is happening, and it seems to start with the fact that the original lease of the car in 2015 never generated a title.

Flash forward almost exaclty 4 years, still no lease. Multiple e-mails and phone calls by the dealer (purportedly) have resulted in not one person at Lexus/Toyota taking ownership of this and pushing it through. Nobody. I told the salesman that if I kept telling MY clients 3 more days... 3 more days... another week, with no product... I'd get fired.

Aparently there is a cluster you-know-what of used cars and returned leases cramming through the system every month at Lex/Toy corporate and very once in a while Lex/Toy botches a title resolution. I'm that lucky guy! It's been pretty frustrating (first world problems!) to say the least.

Anyone else run into this?

Last edited by Nxplicable; 02-16-19 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Typos. I'm somewhat OCD about a grammar.
Old 02-16-19, 02:56 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

No I would only buy a car if they had the title in hand. I purchased mine used from a Toyota dealership, it was a trade in. I paid for the car in full with a certified check and drove off. They mailed the title 5 days later once the check cleared.

Last edited by peasodos; 02-16-19 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-16-19, 04:50 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The car is probably coming from out of state.

The out of state DMV is most likely not being very accommodating to Lexus to get a copy of the title, for whatever reason.

Obviously, MA RMV will not do anything to process this unless they get an original copy of the out of state title.
Old 02-16-19, 05:03 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike552

The out of state DMV is most likely not being very accommodating to Lexus to get a copy of the title, for whatever reason.

Obviously, MA RMV will not do anything to process this unless they get an original copy of the out of state title.
Stupid for Lexus Dealer to sell a car that they don't have a title in hand for.
Old 02-16-19, 05:59 AM
Nxplicable
Rookie

Red face Great point...

Originally Posted by peasodos
No I would only buy a car if they had the title in hand. I purchased mine used from a Toyota dealership, it was a trade in. I paid for the car in full with a certified check and drove off. They mailed the title 5 days later once the check cleared.
My wife and I don't buy cars all the time, we tend to buy new and own them for a decade or more, my current daily '04 Mazda 6S V6 manual hatchback and the '08 Highlander that our kids now drive (both bought new) as testimony. I guess I'm just stating that I'm not a pro at this car buying thing. However, I was shown the Carfax which showed that everything was great, no issues etc etc. In an e-mail I was told "there is absolutely nothing wrong with the title". Grrr. I was definitely star struck by lucking out in finding the ONE car from coast to coast that was listed as CPO that was in such great shape and super low miles with the equipment I was holding out for. Nothing else mattered at the time I guess.
Old 02-16-19, 06:03 AM
Nxplicable
Rookie

Thumbs up Another great point...

The car was purchased here in MA, then garaged in Florida as a "Winter car" for 4 years before being brought back here for trade in. Local family, Lexus owners for years apparently. I never even considered the "other state" thing. I'm not sure how it all works, I do know it was leased and the title was apparently held by Lex/Toy corporate since they were the owner. You're right about MA RMV. I'm not trying to force anything either, knowing how they operate.
Old 02-16-19, 06:07 AM
Nxplicable
Rookie

Cool Can't disagree...

Originally Posted by peasodos
Stupid for Lexus Dealer to sell a car that they don't have a title in hand for.
They told me they post cars for sale all the time as they're being prepped and reconditioned for CPO status. They said they normally don't have issues with the typical 5-day or so framework of getting the title shipped to them, as by the time the car gets traction on their website, and a party shows interest, the title is in possession. I'm that "once every 6 months" guy. Lucky me.
Old 02-16-19, 07:21 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nxplicable
The car was purchased here in MA, then garaged in Florida as a "Winter car" for 4 years before being brought back here for trade in. Local family, Lexus owners for years apparently. I never even considered the "other state" thing. I'm not sure how it all works, I do know it was leased and the title was apparently held by Lex/Toy corporate since they were the owner. You're right about MA RMV. I'm not trying to force anything either, knowing how they operate.

Hmm interesting.

Curious to know if they ever swapped to FL tags. If they did, then FL may have certain rules and procedures on title paperwork that is holding all of this up.

If if it has always been registered with MA tags, then something else is potentially going on. I mean, it’s not that hard for a MA dealer to get a duplicate title...
Old 02-18-19, 04:55 PM
Nxplicable
Rookie

Default Friggin Title...

Hmm interesting.

Curious to know if they ever swapped to FL tags. If they did, then FL may have certain rules and procedures on title paperwork that is holding all of this up.

If if it has always been registered with MA tags, then something else is potentially going on. I mean, it’s not that hard for a MA dealer to get a duplicate title...
Sorry, been meaning to reply. You know, the Carfax report given to me by the dealer states that the title is clean, and lists the title number 4 different times. Once at initial lease, then 3 more times when the car was reregistered... in FLORIDA, by the owner. So, there's that. I think my next communication will be with Carfax. Grr... Thanks for the reply and idea.
Old 02-21-19, 08:52 PM
Nxplicable
Rookie

Well, this finally was resolved by the dealer placing multiple calls to Lexus corporate and pushing for resolution. They wanted to close the deal and move the metal as much as I did. Drove away a happy customer today!