GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus, Porsche and Toyota top J.D. Power 2019 Dependability Study

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 08:18 AM
nickkaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus, Porsche and Toyota top J.D. Power 2019 Dependability Study

J.D. Power polled nearly 33,000 owners of 2016 model-year vehicles about their three-year ownership experience, and some very familiar names have ended up atop the resulting ranks.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/j...orsche-toyota/
Old 02-13-19, 09:04 AM
VA75067
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I take these studies with a grain of salt. Obviously, it's good to see lexus on top of the list. Surprising to see Honda below the median ranking.
Old 02-13-19, 09:40 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Damn Toyota slipped. Too much slackin' off there.
Old 02-13-19, 10:16 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by VA75067
I take these studies with a grain of salt. Obviously, it's good to see lexus on top of the list. Surprising to see Honda below the median ranking.
Agreed - its odd to see Honda below the median and its lux division Acura very far down the list. Also odd to see Infiniti close to the top ten but parent company Nissan below the median as well.

Last edited by AJLex19; 02-13-19 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-13-19, 10:58 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

The Mini should be at the bottom along with the Fiat. Family member had one and they lived at the service dept. constantly.
Old 02-13-19, 12:02 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,056 Likes on 692 Posts

This is eight years in a row at #1. That is called dominance. Tops why we buy Lexus. Second is the low cost of maintenance. Third is great styling interior and exterior.

https://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-...ver-1781639773
Old 02-13-19, 12:08 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Agreed - its odd to see Honda below the median and its lux division Acura very far down the list. Also odd to see Infiniti close to the top ten but parent company Nissan below the median as well.

From personal experience I can say it’s not odd at all. We have a 2019 Odyssey Elite (Msrp $48k) and it has its share of issues. On top of that, many of these issues are not being fixed by the dealer because they say it’s “normal”.

Its clear to us that Honda has not yet understood how to handle after sales support on their more expensive/complicated (read: cars that things will probably break down on) vehicles.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike552:
02REX (02-13-19), AJLex19 (02-14-19)
Old 02-13-19, 12:27 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Honda/Acura is down there largely because of the problems with their new turbo engines(oil-dilution) and double clutch transmissions.

If you've driven a Nissan from the past 5 years, you know it's not a surprise. Cheap plastics, rattles, pathetic CVT(one of the worst I've driven). They aren't competitive in the mainstream, they aren't beating Hyundai/KIA in price/features. The GT-R is 12 years old now, the Z also the same age and that's only if you're generous and consider the 370 to be "different" from the 350. There is zero innovation. In my mind, they are the Dodge/Chrysler of Japan.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (02-14-19)
Old 02-13-19, 05:41 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
Honda/Acura is down there largely because of the problems with their new turbo engines(oil-dilution) and double clutch transmissions.

If you've driven a Nissan from the past 5 years, you know it's not a surprise. Cheap plastics, rattles, pathetic CVT(one of the worst I've driven). They aren't competitive in the mainstream, they aren't beating Hyundai/KIA in price/features. The GT-R is 12 years old now, the Z also the same age and that's only if you're generous and consider the 370 to be "different" from the 350. There is zero innovation. In my mind, they are the Dodge/Chrysler of Japan.
My 2 Acura's i owned previously both had transmission problems I would never touch another Acura product again for this very reason. My friend who owns a 2017 tlx is fighting the dealership to fix his "jerky transmission" but they can't seem to find anything wrong with it lol. Acura deserves to be down there
Old 02-13-19, 06:37 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350lex
My 2 Acura's i owned previously both had transmission problems I would never touch another Acura product again for this very reason. My friend who owns a 2017 tlx is fighting the dealership to fix his "jerky transmission" but they can't seem to find anything wrong with it lol. Acura deserves to be down there
I would never touch one since its 10-20k premium to just have a badge that has the horizontal lines on the H come to a point lol... but seriously. their "premium" is pretty much the same as their premium product in the accord or any other car.

I'm surprised all the Germans are above industry standard. Is everyone that much worse, have they really improved, or is it everyone is still in warrenty/free maintenance period so there are less complaints? im guessing the last option since its 3 year study.
Old 02-14-19, 03:27 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by VA75067
I agree that it should be taken with a grain of salt.

A lot of people don't realize that major and minor problems carry the same weight in these reports.

But it is nice seeing Lexus at the top, and even more so the GS as the #1 midsize premium sedan for all these years.
Old 02-14-19, 06:05 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike552

From personal experience I can say it’s not odd at all. We have a 2019 Odyssey Elite (Msrp $48k) and it has its share of issues. On top of that, many of these issues are not being fixed by the dealer because they say it’s “normal”.

Its clear to us that Honda has not yet understood how to handle after sales support on their more expensive/complicated (read: cars that things will probably break down on) vehicles.

Originally Posted by er34

I guess things have changed quite a bit over the last few years with those brands because the folks in my family that own Honda's all have had only positive things to say. My uncle has an '05 Acura RL and has had little issues over the entire ownership period (and he drives a lot). My cousin financed a 2013 Accord Sport and absolutely loves the car (always raves about the gas mileage he squeezes out the 4cyl).

In terms of the Nissan, thats not surprising - i just thought that a gussied up Nissan a.k.a Infiniti (e.g. Q50 or M35) would have MORE issues that an Altima or Maxima. Co-worker of mine exclusively has leased an Altima 4 times over the last 12 years - never any complaints. A good friend of mine owned a 2010 M35x for about 8years and didn't have any issues - sold it reluctantly after his personal situation changed.

Going by the Consumer Reports reliability rank alone, you would surprisingly choose a BMW, Audi or Benz for reliability over a Nissan, Infiniti, Honda or Acura
Old 02-14-19, 06:13 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 442 Likes on 310 Posts

I love Hondas, even though the current crop is hard to look at.
My widowed niece has 2 sets of twin girls; I stay close to them.
They are in TX while I am in CA, so I can't help with basic services.
Her 5 (?) year old Odyssey Touring has 70K; the steering rack was leaking; over $2K at the dealer to replace.
The timing belt tensioner is also leaking, will be replaced with the service soon.
Kinda far cry from the earlier Honda reliability and low cost of ownership, I am sorry to say.