ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020-237/)
-   -   Invidia Midpipe with Joez Axleback? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020/911408-invidia-midpipe-with-joez-axleback.html)

AsianxWu 02-11-19 04:59 PM

Invidia Midpipe with Joez Axleback?

I know some people on the forums have this setup and I have a few questions if you guys don't mind.

- Do the Invidia Midpipes bolt straight up to the JoeZ axlebacks? Do you use the JoeZ bolts or factory bolts?

- I have the AWD GS, so I believe that I have to bend the midpipes to fit. Is it possible to do at home? Or should I just go to a shop?

- How loud is the setup exactly? I just have the axleback right now and it's decent, but I'm craving more. However, I don't want to be obnoxious... Or for my neighbors to hate me lol

- It's hard to tell from video clips, but any drone? Does it keep the low tone, or is it more raspy with the Invidia midpipes? How loud is it from inside the car? Still able to hold a conversation with "indoor" voices?

jdpdata 02-11-19 05:43 PM

I have full Catback JoeZ. Can't answer some of your other questions but I can say that yes it does drone and is fairly loud.
At around 2K RPM or 40MPH drone is very noticeable. Will vibrate my interiors. Higher than 2K, it keeps a low tone.
To mitigate this, I usually drive with paddles keeping my RPM higher to avoid 2K mark.
I can talk fairly normally in the cabin if I don't do WOT.
It can be obnoxiously loud at cold start when RPM is at 1K-1.5K. I usually put it into gear immediately after starting to avoid disturbing the neighbors.
My kids tell me they can hear my exhaust from down block when I go to pick them up from grandma's house...and I'm not even gunning it.
So yeah, it can be fairly loud but not raspy like a Honda Civic. I kind of gotten used to it.

Only way to avoid drone is not to use the JoeZ mufflers. You can stick with Invidia or JoeZ midpipe and use stock mufflers.

np20412 02-11-19 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by jdpdata (Post 10437363)
I have full Catback JoeZ. Can't answer some of your other questions but I can say that yes it does drone and is fairly loud.
At around 2K RPM or 40MPH drone is very noticeable. Will vibrate my interiors. Higher than 2K, it keeps a low tone.
To mitigate this, I usually drive with paddles keeping my RPM higher to avoid 2K mark.
I can talk fairly normally in the cabin if I don't do WOT.
It can be obnoxiously loud at cold start when RPM is at 1K-1.5K. I usually put it into gear immediately after starting to avoid disturbing the neighbors.
My kids tell me they can hear my exhaust from down block when I go to pick them up from grandma's house...and I'm not even gunning it.
So yeah, it can be fairly loud but not raspy like a Honda Civic. I kind of gotten used to it.

Only way to avoid drone is not the use the JoeZ mufflers. You can stick with Invidia or JoeZ midpipe and use stock mufflers.

I agree with this assessment and I also have full Joe Z. I have read in the forums that Joe Z axle back with Invidia midpipe helps with the drone, but that set up is still going to be LOUD.

for mine, any constant acceleration/maintaining speed low in the power band (1.5-2.3 RPM) is really where drone is the worst. If you can stay out of that range you'll be fine. If I'm cruising below 1.5rpm it's almost as quiet as stock, and higher in the band kills the drone but will use more fuel. Cruising st 70-80mph is borderline obnoxious if you stay in 8th gear.

dphu626 02-11-19 08:07 PM

Keep in mind, I bought both the mid pipe and axle back used.

- Do the Invidia Midpipes bolt straight up to the JoeZ axlebacks? Do you use the JoeZ bolts or factory bolts?
Yes. I used the bolts that came with the mid pipe.

- I have the AWD GS, so I believe that I have to bend the midpipes to fit. Is it possible to do at home? Or should I just go to a shop?
I can't answer that as I have a RWD and went to a shop.

- How loud is the setup exactly? I just have the axleback right now and it's decent, but I'm craving more. However, I don't want to be obnoxious... Or for my neighbors to hate me lol
I can't compare to the Joe Z catback, but my fiancee says its not too loud from the outside. Cold start is the loudest but it dies down after a few seconds and you won't even notice there's an exhaust. I should meet up with @jdpdata and compare lol. I think you'll be fine as long you don't go WOT down your street.

- It's hard to tell from video clips, but any drone? Does it keep the low tone, or is it more raspy with the Invidia midpipes? How loud is it from inside the car? Still able to hold a conversation with "indoor" voices?
Slight drone. At around 2k RPM, there is some vibration in the car. It gets a little raspy above 3k RPM but I think I might have a leak somewhere so I need to get that checked out. I can hold a conversation without having to raise my voice. I'll try and get some sound recording this week and post it.

Hope this helps.

AsianxWu 02-12-19 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by jdpdata (Post 10437363)

Originally Posted by dphu626 (Post 10437497)
I can't compare to the Joe Z catback, but my fiancee says its not too loud from the outside. Cold start is the loudest but it dies down after a few seconds and you won't even notice there's an exhaust. I should meet up with @jdpdata and compare lol. I think you'll be fine as long you don't go WOT down your street.

Would this video be a good indication of how loud it is? It doesn't seem too loud in the video.

Would a good reference on how loud it is be similar to a V8 Mustang with an axleback? Or an S5 with a (Stasis) axleback?

dphu626 02-12-19 08:11 AM

Scroll down to post 6. One of the members here had the same set up. I actually bought the exhaust from him.

This is probably the best sound quality video.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ort-build.html

AsianxWu 02-12-19 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by dphu626 (Post 10437818)
Scroll down to post 6. One of the members here had the same set up. I actually bought the exhaust from him.

This is probably the best sound quality video.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ort-build.html

Yeah, I've seen the video and it doesn't sound that loud to be honestly. But people keep saying it's almost obnoxiously loud, so I just want to make sure before I get it.

dphu626 02-12-19 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by AsianxWu (Post 10437849)
Yeah, I've seen the video and it doesn't sound that loud to be honestly. But people keep saying it's almost obnoxiously loud, so I just want to make sure before I get it.

It's not obnoxious. Not to me at least. 0-35(1.5k RPM max) getting out of the residential area, it has a nice low tone. Once I get out on to the main street, 0-45(2-2.5k RPM) it has a nice louder growl to it. I think the full catback is louder than the Invidia/Joe Z combo.

jdpdata 02-12-19 08:51 AM

It's pointless to judge loudness based on some video, too many variables. Loudness is subjective. Some may think it's fine, others may say it's obnoxious.
Your best bet if find someone in your area willing to let you listen or ride in their car.

I kind of gotten used to mine. Yeah the drone can be annoying sometimes, but I don't drive my GS everyday.
If I daily commute in it, I absolutely would not put an exhaust on it. WOT can be addicting, but I don't drive like an ass like some people.

AsianxWu 02-12-19 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by dphu626 (Post 10437861)
It's not obnoxious. Not to me at least. 0-35(1.5k RPM max) getting out of the residential area, it has a nice low tone. Once I get out on to the main street, 0-45(2-2.5k RPM) it has a nice louder growl to it. I think the full catback is louder than the Invidia/Joe Z combo.

Yeah, that sounds like what I'm looking for.

truthbtold 02-12-19 08:55 AM

I'm running invidia midpipe with stock exhaust on my RWD for the reason that having any aftermarket exhaust with the midpipe would produce more drone, especially the with the joe z. It sounds really nice during cold starts but dies down after 10 seconds or so and is loud only when you get on it. Cruising has little drone like others have stated.

AsianxWu 02-12-19 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by dphu626 (Post 10437861)

Where are you in Cali btw? I'm heading down to San Diego in like 2 weeks. If you're close to there, would you mind if I take a listen to your car? haha

dphu626 02-12-19 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by AsianxWu (Post 10437929)
Where are you in Cali btw? I'm heading down to San Diego in like 2 weeks. If you're close to there, would you mind if I take a listen to your car? haha

I'm in LA. I don't know if I can go in a couple of weeks, but I do have plans to visit San Diego in March. What a coincidence. If you can give me an estimate of when you'll be there, I can keep you posted.

AsianxWu 02-12-19 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by dphu626 (Post 10437942)
I'm in LA. I don't know if I can go in a couple of weeks, but I do have plans to visit San Diego in March. What a coincidence. If you can give me an estimate of when you'll be there, I can keep you posted.

I'll be getting there March 1st and leaving March 4th.

Boomin 02-13-19 02:56 PM

I’m doing the same, already have joez but invidia is 4-6 weeks out. 2 weeks ago they said the samething so who knows...