ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020-237/)
-   -   Reserve Tank Capacity (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020/911323-reserve-tank-capacity.html)

eddie420 02-10-19 05:51 PM

Reserve Tank Capacity

Our tanks are supposed to have a capacity of 17.4 gal. I decided to fill up almost exactly at 0 miles remaining. Pump filled to 15.392 gal.

Does this indicate the "reserve" actually has 2 gallons left when the dash indicates 0 miles left? Here are a couple of pictures I took at Costco.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...d06a587d09.png
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...c1a3e65a83.png

JDR76 02-10-19 06:20 PM

Yes. Reserve is generally 2-3 gallons.

chinee 02-10-19 07:51 PM

Yep... that's one of the first things I checked when I got the GS, about 2 gallons left when the low fuel light comes on... that means about 40 miles before I need to start panicking.

baconRx 02-10-19 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by chinee (Post 10436327)
Yep... that's one of the first things I checked when I got the GS, about 2 gallons left when the low fuel light comes on... that means about 40 miles before I need to start panicking.

my 05 accord before this thats what i went by as well... except i didn't have an estimate of how many miles. i figure when the light came on it was 3-4. when our light comes on its 4-5 and when it hits 0 its like 2-3 i think

charley95 02-10-19 08:58 PM

Not a good idea to run your tank to empty continuously. Any good mechanic will advise against it.

azipod 02-10-19 10:22 PM

That sound about right. I filled 15.0 gallons an hour ago with the range showing 25 miles left.

The biggest wow hear is that Premium fuel cost $3.55/gallon here at a discount gas station. You are paying more than $1 less per gallon when compared to our cheapest fuel. This is life in CA.

medsaver 02-10-19 10:33 PM

Depends on where in California. Where I'm at it's $3.07 for premium.

chinee 02-11-19 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by charley95 (Post 10436403)
Not a good idea to run your tank to empty continuously. Any good mechanic will advise against it.

I suspect this is very much a myth... does anyone here actually know someone whose fuel pump went bad after driving around with the fuel light on? I don't know a single person this has happened to, ever.

I've never filled up unless my fuel light is on, in the 15 years I owned my G35 (265K miles), and the 16 years of ownership with my Sequoia (330K miles), and neither have had a fuel related problem.

Stewart350 02-11-19 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by medsaver (Post 10436464)
Depends on where in California. Where I'm at it's $3.07 for premium.

True because i am in San Diego and just paid 3.61 for premium.

charley95 02-11-19 04:37 AM

My in-law always drove his truck close to empty before filling up and his pump failed at 40k miles. His mechanic stated it's not good for the in tank fuel pump. The motor in the tank relies on the fuel to keep it cool. I realize not all cars have internally mounted pumps but, I would tend to agree with his mechanic. Why would this be a myth?

chinee 02-11-19 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart350 (Post 10436538)
True because i am in San Diego and just paid 3.61 for premium.

:eek1: ... and here I am griping about $2.99...

chinee 02-11-19 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by charley95 (Post 10436540)
My in-law always drove his truck close to empty before filling up and his pump failed at 40k miles. His mechanic stated it's not good for the in tank fuel pump. The motor in the tank relies on the fuel to keep it cool. I realize not all cars have internally mounted pumps but, I would tend to agree with his mechanic. Why would this be a myth?

I “believe” it’s a myth because it’s never happened to me, and I typically run my tanks close to dry all the time. And I don’t know a single person who has experienced this problem, not a single person in the 30+ years since I’ve taken an interest in cars. I’ve only had one fuel pump failure ever, and that was in 1991, in an Austin Mini manufactured in the early 70’s, and it was likely just worn out with age.

Now... it could be a valid concern. But I did a quick internet search (which is always accurate of course :D ) and the top results quote either Consumer Reports or unnamed “experts”, which makes this seem even more myth-like.

The reasons given seem valid, sucking up debris at the bottom of the tank and low fuel level not cooling the pump sufficiently, but that reasoning just doesn't fly in real world practice... at least not in my personal experience.

charley95 02-11-19 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by chinee (Post 10436553)

I “believe” it’s a myth because it’s never happened to me, and I typically run my tanks close to dry all the time. And I don’t know a single person who has experienced this problem, not a single person in the 30+ years since I’ve taken an interest in cars. I’ve only had one fuel pump failure ever, and that was in 1991, in an Austin Mini manufactured in the early 70’s, and it was likely just worn out with age.

Now... it could be a valid concern. But I did a quick internet search (which is always accurate of course :D ) and the top results quote either Consumer Reports or unnamed “experts”, which makes this seem even more myth-like.

The reasons given seem valid, sucking up debris at the bottom of the tank and low fuel level not cooling the pump sufficiently, but that reasoning just doesn't fly in real world practice... at least not in my personal experience.

I disagree. And of course nothing can be posted on the inter web if it's not true!

np20412 02-11-19 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by chinee (Post 10436327)

That's different than @eddie420 post though. He's got 2 gallons left when the range shows 0 miles. My low fuel light comes on when the range shows ~30-35 miles remaining. That would indicate the low fuel light comes on with more like 3-4 gallons remaining.

GregCanada 02-11-19 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by np20412 (Post 10436594)
That's different than @eddie420 post though. He's got 2 gallons left when the range shows 0 miles. My low fuel light comes on when the range shows ~30-35 miles remaining. That would indicate the low fuel light comes on with more like 3-4 gallons remaining.

Correct.

Also, yes you are driving a lexus/toyota product... the fuel pump will not fail from driving with low gas. i've driven ever car i've owned (all toyota/lexus) with low gas and NEVER a problem. Now if you run out of gas, don't leave the ignition on, then the pump will eventually overheat :)