GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 05:39 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts
Default GROM VL2 installed

So a couple weeks ago someone here posted something about GROM Vline. I had no idea something like this existed for our GS. I did some research..seems that the earlier version was very buggy, but version 2 (VL2) is fantastic.
I ordered it after reading and watching @YaMomma videos. Shipping was super fast. I received the VL2 next day, but they forgot to send GPS in the box. I quickly notified tech support and they shipped out GPS unit immediately. I received it today so decided to do the install. Super easy installation, literally plug 'n play. Install process involve removing the radio, NAV screen, and glove box to route the harness to VL2 unit. I followed @eddie420 excellent how-to remove dash guide. Took me about 90 minutes to do install, I was going very slow to avoid scratching the interiors. Hardest part was putting back those damn plastic screws above the NAV screen. Don't know why I had so much trouble putting them back..that took about 20 minutes. Anyways, I just play around with the VL2 for a couple hours..here are my initial thoughts. Need more testing, but so far it's great! If anyone have any questions, post them up, I'll try to answer...

-Backup camera works perfectly! Pops up immediately when putting car into reverse. @YaMomma said his unit didn't work, but mine is working perfect. Perhaps latest update fixed it. My unit came with latest software and all latest updates.
-Screen is nice, crisp and clear. I can see menus and screen items just fine. Though navigating with the RT mouse is a pain. Need to have patience or get an external USB keyboard/mouse.
-Google Maps and Waze works great. I drove around for a few minutes, GPS picked up and tracked my location just fine even being in the glove box.
-Audio music apps all works and sounded fantastic! Really brings out the fidelity of my ML system. So far I tested Pandora, iHeartRadio, and Spotify...all works great, very loud and clear.
-Love the 15 minutes memory feature. VL2 started right away and Pandora start playing immediately after starting the car if 15 minutes hasn't lapsed.
-Android Auto is not supported yet, but Grom tells me it's coming soon!

@gromaudio you guys made a fantastic product. I'm very please so far. You made installation super easy and everything that I expected to work really do works. Thank you for fixing all the bugs in VL1. I hope you sell millions of these units and continue to support it and release new features. Wish our '17 Acura MDX have VL2. How do I request support for it?

Here are a few pictures I took during install. I try to do a video later..

My unit came with latest software and updates. Just needed to install GApps.

Google Maps works great! Very fast and responsive.

Main Menu with GMaps running in background

Pandora with GMaps running in background. Music sound very loud and clear.

GMaps with Netflix running in background. Yeah, not a great idea while driving, but it does work. My kids will be very happy riding my car now

I can browse CL in the car now

Waze working great too
The following 12 users liked this post by jdpdata:
AJLex19 (03-06-19), Amuse350z (03-31-19), Boomin (02-07-19), Chaos236 (02-15-19), ChronoR (02-07-19), DaveGS4 (02-21-19), eddie420 (02-07-19), Im2bz2p345 (02-07-19), medsaver (02-09-19), Neil64 (06-08-21), notara (05-26-21), robm (02-26-19) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-07-19, 05:57 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

@gromaudio I have one minor issue so far. When I press 'Radio' button to switch back to OE infotainment system, the screen is flickering or flashing. Why is it doing this and how do I fix this?
Don't really think I'll be using OE infotainment system very much, maybe just for FM radio. So not a huge issue, but please fix.
Old 02-07-19, 05:59 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey man - Good write-up, thank you for taking the time-out to do it. Keep us updated on how you like it as time goes on! One question, are you able to make it take up the whole screen or is that limited to the left side screen only?
Old 02-07-19, 06:01 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by eddie420
Hey man - Good write-up, thank you for taking the time-out to do it. Keep us updated on how you like it as time goes on! One question, are you able to make it take up the whole screen or is that limited to the left side screen only?
VL2 is only on left 2/3 of the 12.3" screen for my MY15. Not a GROM issue, this is how Lexus created it for MY13-15 GS.
I imagine 16+ can do full screen as it is supported on those MY.

You should pick up VL2 now. Special pricing until Feb 15, 2019. Everything works..even backup camera!
Old 02-07-19, 06:30 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

how u switch bak to oe?
Old 02-07-19, 06:34 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by richard203
how u switch bak to oe?
Hit 'Radio' button on the radio to switch back to OE. Hit 'Media' to switch to VL2.
But I don't expect to be using OE very much. VL2 have Web Radio plugin app with thousands of radio stations worldwide.
I also have my local radio stations in iHeartRadio.
Old 02-07-19, 06:39 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

I forgot to mention integration of steering wheel buttons volume +/- and track +/- works great in VL2.
Very fast, no delay between button presses.
I haven't tested phone buttons on right side of steering wheel.
Mic button still summons terrible OE voice guidance. I wish it can start Google Assistance instead.

Map button brings up Google Maps. Menu button takes back to VL2 main screen.
Scrolling up/down button works to navigate on menus and apps.
RT mouse works OK too, but it's very hard to click OK prompts sometimes.
Old 02-07-19, 07:56 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

This sounds amazing! It says it's even running Android 8.1 so now it's no longer horribly out of date. Good on Gromaudio for making the backup camera work too.
Old 02-07-19, 08:09 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

is there discount if you buy from the vendor here?
Old 02-07-19, 08:27 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChronoR
This sounds amazing! It says it's even running Android 8.1 so now it's no longer horribly out of date. Good on Gromaudio for making the backup camera work too.
It is really awesome! Made my GS so much more enjoyable. That OE Infotainment was horrible, i hated it. I hated it even more after Lexus took away Pandora last November. Latest version of VL2 is rock stable, though I have only used it for only a few hours today. Will continue to test...and yes backup camera working is a requirement for me to keep this thing.

Originally Posted by richard203
is there discount if you buy from the vendor here?
Not that I know of. There was a pre-order on IS-F forum back in April 2018, but that already expired.
Those lucky bastards were able to get VL2 on big discount, but they had to be beta testers.
I paid $539, still very reasonable for what it does basically a tablet computer inside the car.
I think price goes back up to $599 after Feb 15, 2019.
Old 02-07-19, 08:34 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Just tested receiving a phone call while in Google Maps.
Basically the right side of the 12.3" screen pop up with OE interface when call comes in...nothing special here.
Steering wheel buttons to pick-up/hang-up phone works as intended.

VL2 uses OE microphone, no additional 3rd party microphone needed. Harness includes microphone cable, simply plug 1/8" adapter into microphone jack on VL2 unit.
Very nice integration! I tested some voice commands, like "Navigate to Costco", then Google Maps opens and start navigating to nearest Costco.
Microphone pick up my voice just fine. Didn't need to scream. More testing tomorrow..going to bed.

Last edited by jdpdata; 02-07-19 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 08:54 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

I've been waiting for something like this. Based on what you wrote, it seems like this is a big hit and an amazing upgrade. Please do a video review that goes into detail because you cover a lot of about this upgrade in a short amount of time vs writing/posting pictures here (not discouraging that, just saving trying to save you time).

If others are interested .. group buy anyone? I'm sure we can gather the numbers, we could get this unit down in price.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 05-19-19 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 09:26 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

It is truly a revolutionary product. I'm very glad GROM invested time and effort in developing VL2 and making it better. I have in the past tried to run USB sticks/mini Android devices in the car with little success. They were all laggy and horrible. Did the mirroring thing too, that was kinda lame too because I still had to use my phone while driving to make any selection. VL2 faster hardware along with more stable software and seamless integration really make this product a winner. Kinda feel sorry for all the guys that had to put up with VL1's bugs, but they had to do it to get to this point. Can't imagine what VL3 will bring! I heard on-board diagnostic is coming soon to VL2..how awesome is that!?

I thought about doing a video, but @YaMomma already made a pretty good video on his YT channel
Also check out the many installs and video tutorials GROM have on their YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeo...hivNfkTqqwH0uQ

@gromaudio hook up my fellow 4GS members with some discount codes.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (05-28-19)
Old 02-07-19, 10:35 PM
lbcgav
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like it's already gone up to $599.

Edit: looks like I was looking at the wrong one. It is $539 for the GS.

Last edited by lbcgav; 02-07-19 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 01:43 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Looks like this would work much better on a touch screen.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed