GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 11:31 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
Does anyone in here have this with an iPhone and would be kind enough to show the CarPlay in action? I've been eyeing this unit for a while now and it is good to hear that most of the issues have been ironed out by GROM. So I am almost sold on it at this point.

jdpdata, does this have any built in mirroring option? This unit Lsailt does similar thing as the GROM and have mirroring option. I'd rather deal with GROM since they are based here in the US instead of Lsailt in China.
I don't have iPhone, but i believe @YaMomma does. check out his YouTube video he posted. VL2 is a standalone unit, you don't need CarPlay or Android Auto. It's nice that they support it, somewhat, but IMO it is way better using the full standalone apps..
I love using Waze with built-in Music apps overlay. Waze version in CarPlay/AA doesn't have this feature, they're limited in function. And why do you need mirroring option? With VL2 you simply install any apps you want from PlayStore - YouTube, Netflix, whatever the device support will work.
Android Auto is the only app I can't install yet - GROM is working on full support they told me. And you're right about dealing with US based company. I sent several support emails, all were answered within hours, from an English speaking person. Buying from Chinese company overseas is too risky.

Waze now support a bunch of music apps as an overlay (iHeartRadio, Pandora, Spotify, Deezer, etc) I have this on my screen 99% of the time when I'm driving.

Old 02-20-19, 12:43 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I don't have iPhone, but i believe @YaMomma does. check out his YouTube video he posted. VL2 is a standalone unit, you don't need CarPlay or Android Auto. It's nice that they support it, somewhat, but IMO it is way better using the full standalone apps..
I love using Waze with built-in Music apps overlay. Waze version in CarPlay/AA doesn't have this feature, they're limited in function. And why do you need mirroring option? With VL2 you simply install any apps you want from PlayStore - YouTube, Netflix, whatever the device support will work.
Android Auto is the only app I can't install yet - GROM is working on full support they told me. And you're right about dealing with US based company. I sent several support emails, all were answered within hours, from an English speaking person. Buying from Chinese company overseas is too risky.

Waze now support a bunch of music apps as an overlay (iHeartRadio, Pandora, Spotify, Deezer, etc) I have this on my screen 99% of the time when I'm driving.
Great point about the installed apps over the mirroring option; didn't think about it that way. This picture just lured me more toward buying this unit. It looks so good with the music overlay on the map!! Thanks for posting that!!

CarPlay is just a nice addition IMO; it's just an extra option you have and with that, you won't even have to connect to the car bluetooth phone call etc...

@YaMomma can you please post something with the CarPlay in action for us to see? Maybe a short video? I'd very much appreciate it.

Lastly, I have a 2017 GS F Sport which the screen can stretch up the whole 12.3 display. Can't wait to get this thing and see how it looks like on there. I get so excited about those pics and vids you guys have been posted and it's so great to finally see some good reviews on the GROM.
Old 02-20-19, 12:52 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Yeah, Waze is awesome. Google is adding more cool stuff to it since they purchased it, Some Waze features are trickling down to Google Maps too, but I still prefer Waze for daily driving. Cops/Traffic camera notifications are great. It already saved me from ruining my new rims by warning me of a giant pothole on the freeway yesterday.
Check out some of GROM's how-to videos on their YT channel. They have a newer RX with fullscreen support..looks great! Wish MY2015 have fullscreen, I hardly use the right side screen anymore other than turning on/off DUAL or AC button.
Old 02-21-19, 12:37 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Yeah, Waze is awesome. Google is adding more cool stuff to it since they purchased it, Some Waze features are trickling down to Google Maps too, but I still prefer Waze for daily driving. Cops/Traffic camera notifications are great. It already saved me from ruining my new rims by warning me of a giant pothole on the freeway yesterday.
Check out some of GROM's how-to videos on their YT channel. They have a newer RX with fullscreen support..looks great! Wish MY2015 have fullscreen, I hardly use the right side screen anymore other than turning on/off DUAL or AC button.
I just placed my order. Now comes the wait. I will keep you guys updated on installation and post up some demos. @jdpdata Do I have to remove my nav screen too or all the connections go on the radio? If yes, can you throw some hints please?
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (02-21-19)
Old 02-21-19, 01:09 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

I just placed my order. Now comes the wait. I will keep you guys updated on installation and post up some demos. @jdpdata Do I have to remove my nav screen too or all the connections go on the radio? If yes, can you throw some hints please?
Congrats! You'll love it.
Yes you do need to remove the radio, Nav screen, and glovebox.
Read my how-to above. I didn't take any pictures, but you can refer to Eddie's how-to for pictures, he took a bunch of detailed photos.
It's not hard at all. Feel free to PM me with any installation questions.
c2fordy5 (02-22-19)
Old 02-21-19, 01:42 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

It's not hard at all. Feel free to PM me with any installation questions.
Hey c2fordy5, I'll tell you this much, jp wasn't this confident when he ordered the unit. But after installing it, he realized it was cake and no reason to worry.
The following 3 users liked this post by eddie420:
c2fordy5 (02-22-19), Im2bz2p345 (02-21-19), jdpdata (02-21-19)
Old 02-21-19, 01:49 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by eddie420
Hey c2fordy5, I'll tell you this much, jp wasn't this confident when he ordered the unit. But after installing it, he realized it was cake and no reason to worry.
HAHA, exactly! I almost didn't order because I thought I had to rip my dash apart to install it. It is truly a piece of cake to install. GROM made this plug 'n play..literally.
Just make sure they sent you everything in the package. They forgot GPS unit for mine. Navigation won't work without it.
The following 3 users liked this post by jdpdata:
c2fordy5 (02-22-19), eddie420 (02-21-19), Im2bz2p345 (02-21-19)
Old 02-22-19, 06:24 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Thanks so much @eddie420 and @jdpdata for giving me the confidence to do this. I can't wait to get this and let you guys know how it goes. By the way, GROM was generous enough to give me a $50 discount on it. All I had to do was ask. So I'm definitely off to a great start with them!
The following 2 users liked this post by c2fordy5:
eddie420 (02-22-19), jdpdata (02-22-19)
Old 02-22-19, 06:26 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

HAHA, exactly! I almost didn't order because I thought I had to rip my dash apart to install it. It is truly a piece of cake to install. GROM made this plug 'n play..literally.
Just make sure they sent you everything in the package. They forgot GPS unit for mine. Navigation won't work without it.
Great point. Do you suggest that I contact them before shipment to make sure everything is on there or just wait till I get it?
Old 02-22-19, 07:15 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Certainly help if they ship you everything together. They delayed my install by couple days because of the missing GPS. Not a big deal since I'm in SoCal and they're just up north. You're all the way across the nation, so might be delay a few more days if they miss a part. BTW, don't freak out the packaging that VL2 comes in is a VL1 box. The hardware listed on the side panel is for the older unit. I thought they sent me the wrong unit. Apparently they still have overstock of these old boxes. You can sent an email to 'shipping @ gromaudio dot com' to ask them to double check the shipment before sending out. They're pretty responsive with emails.
Old 02-22-19, 07:41 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Certainly help if they ship you everything together. They delayed my install by couple days because of the missing GPS. Not a big deal since I'm in SoCal and they're just up north. You're all the way across the nation, so might be delay a few more days if they miss a part. BTW, don't freak out the packaging that VL2 comes in is a VL1 box. The hardware listed on the side panel is for the older unit. I thought they sent me the wrong unit. Apparently they still have overstock of these old boxes. You can sent an email to 'shipping @ gromaudio dot com' to ask them to double check the shipment before sending out. They're pretty responsive with emails.
Thanks so much man. You've been super helpful and I very much appreciate it!
jdpdata (02-22-19)
Old 02-22-19, 08:23 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Thanks so much man. You've been super helpful and I very much appreciate it!
You're welcome dude 👍 Just paying forward to those who have helped me here in the past. Take some install photos or videos when you get a chance and post it up to help others.
Old 02-23-19, 02:51 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does the Grom automatically restart audio (pandora/spotify/etc) from cold boot, or do you have to hit play?
Old 02-23-19, 03:57 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by medsaver
Does the Grom automatically restart audio (pandora/spotify/etc) from cold boot, or do you have to hit play?
From cold boot, VL2 restart just like any other android devices. It takes about 13-20 secs to boot (depending on number of apps you've installed) then you're at the Home Screen. If 15 minutes have not elapsed from last time you shut off the car, VL2 remain active. Music plays instantly after starting car. I really love this feature. If I'm getting gas or picking up kids from Grandma's house, after starting the car, my music plays where I left off. Even navigation continues where I left.

Old 02-26-19, 03:59 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Experienced my first major bug since installing this several weeks ago. Went to turn on the car, black screen, nothing.
Then a message display "Climate Control system failure ...contact dealer". I've read about this black screen of death before. I had to unplug radio harness from back of VL2, then plug back in. Then unit rebooted, all was fine. Will report this bug to GROM. Sounds like they need to release a patch to fix this bug.
The following 5 users liked this post by jdpdata:
bob256k (02-28-19), c2fordy5 (02-27-19), eddie420 (02-27-19), Im2bz2p345 (02-26-19), robm (02-26-19)

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed