GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Old 02-09-19, 08:48 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
This is super clean, would not have though of this. I may copy you if I get it. Thanks!.
You mean when you get this. You're the King of Mods, I almost expect you to get one. Do it before 15th to save yourself $60.
Old 02-09-19, 09:11 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
You mean when you get this. You're the King of Mods, I almost expect you to get one. Do it before 15th to save yourself $60.
He's waiting for V3 to come out?
My guide is very thorough on how to remove your entire dash and disassemble it.
when you do this you need to update us on how to remove EVERYTHING and install more sound proof material
Old 02-09-19, 09:20 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by baconRx
He's waiting for V3 to come out?
V3 would be nice, but I don't see anything wrong with the current hardware.
Processor is plenty fast and 3GB RAM is perfect for Android. Maybe more on-board storage would be nice, but VL2 already support microSD up to 128GB.
If/when GROM get full certification for Android Auto & Apple CarPlay, this thing is going to be killer! I'd prefer Android Auto for native car apps support.
Tablet optimized apps are OK, but they're hard to navigate inside a car environment.
Old 02-09-19, 10:06 AM
baconRx
Instructor

I'd get it without question if waze could use the HUD...one can only dream
Old 02-09-19, 10:11 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I'd get it without question if waze could use the HUD...one can only dream
Yeah if they hacked the HUD would make it more tempting
Old 02-09-19, 10:24 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Haha, trust me, I have been very tempted for the past few months. After reading some of the previous reviews, I was waiting for GROM to mature a bit more before dropping 6 buckaroos.

when you do this you need to update us on how to remove EVERYTHING and install more sound proof material
I'm actually getting this:
Amazon Amazon
. I will install it on the doors, trunk, and wheel liners. Not removing seats to do the floor LOL.

Originally Posted by peasodos
Yeah if they hacked the HUD would make it more tempting
A man can only dream!
Old 02-09-19, 10:28 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Yeah Grom has not blown my panties off yet.
Old 02-09-19, 11:14 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Haha, trust me, I have been very tempted for the past few months. After reading some of the previous reviews, I was waiting for GROM to mature a bit more before dropping 6 buckaroos.

I'm actually getting this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ . I will install it on the doors, trunk, and wheel liners. Not removing seats to do the floor LOL.

A man can only dream!
I hear ya, it's a bit expensive for what it does, but I appreciate all the work and efforts GROM developers have put into make VLine stable and the integration is very nice. Nothing out there currently exists to compete with VLine. With the vast differences in Automotive Infotainment Systems and differences in Android versions itself, it a miracle that they were able to make it work. I feel it's stable enough to make the investment now. Besides, I miss Pandora so much in my GS, I hardly ever drive the car anymore since Lexus took that away. Since installing VL2, I've been putting miles on the GS

I use that same sound deadening in my 4Runner. My installer put it in all the doors and rear hatch. Very happy with the result. Be aware, it's heavy. Makes my doors thunk like a Mercedes when closing and rear hatch barely stays up due to extra weight. Bass hits hard and tight. Absolutely no rattling in my 13 years old truck! I got a decent setup in the Truck - Pioneer AVIC-4200NEX, Alpine PDR-V9, JL Audio 12" Sub, and Image Dynamics Components 6.5 front/rear. Still love that truck more than my GS. Wish the ML had little bit more bass.

Last edited by jdpdata; 02-10-19 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (02-09-19)
Old 02-09-19, 11:25 AM
baconRx
Instructor

I use that same sound deadening in my 4Runner. My installer put it in all the doors and rear hatch. Very happy with the result. Be aware, it's heavy. Makes my doors thunk like a Mercedes when closing and rear hatch barely stays up due to extra weight. Bass hits hard and tight. Absolutely no rattling in my 13 years old truck! I got a decent setup in the Truck - Pioneer AVIC-4200NEX, Alpine PDR-V9, JL Audio 12" Sub, and Image Dynamics Components 6.5 front/rear. Still love that truck more than my GS. Wish the ML had little bit more bass.
I thought people wanted that thunk? how did you guys pick this brand over dynamat or something else? is there much of a difference in brands?
I'm actually getting this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ . I will install it on the doors, trunk, and wheel liners. Not removing seats to do the floor LOL.
slacking man. willing to do the dash but not the seats??? you better have a guide for this
Old 02-09-19, 02:10 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

I thought people wanted that thunk? how did you guys pick this brand over dynamat or something else? is there much of a difference in brands?
Yeah, I love the thunk my truck makes now.
This brand was way cheaper than Dynamat and easier to install per my installer. He just left it out in the sun for a couple hours to make it more pliable before installation.
This is what I ordered. Enough to do 4 doors and rear hatch on my 4Runner, with some left too. And my doors aren't small either.
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-13-19, 06:14 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts
Talking

@jdpdata , I heard the Grom VL2 supports Carplay by connecting a Iphone and tapping the Carplay Icon 10 times. Do you have an iPhone?

I also heard it supports Android Auto, but you need an app called Headunit reloaded.
Old 02-13-19, 06:35 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by bob256k
@jdpdata , I heard the Grom VL2 supports Carplay by connecting a Iphone and tapping the Carplay Icon 10 times. Do you have an iPhone?

I also heard it supports Android Auto, but you need an app called Headunit reloaded.
I don't use anything Apple in my household..it's banned!
CarPlay should work, I've seen videos of it in action. I believe @YaMomma uses an iPhone..ask him.
Android Auto works if you side-load the app, but it's buggy. I haven't tried yet waiting for GROM to officially support it.
They told me AA support is coming this month - February 2019. They're getting certification from Google, apparently that's the hold up.

Really you don't need CarPlay or Android Auto, as this interface support stand alone apps really well.
Old 02-13-19, 10:49 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Thanks for the update. I use primarily Apple; I have had several Androids, I may switch back depending on what happens in 2019/2020
Old 02-14-19, 12:15 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

FYI: you don't need to plug in a phone for VL2 to work. It's a stand alone unit.Only thing you'll need a phone for is to provide VL2 a WiFi Hotspot. Google Maps/Waze and music streaming will not work without WiFi in the car. I suppose you can download offline maps in GMaps and that will work without WiFi. But Waze definitely needs WiFi. There are USB Hotspot devices VL2 will support if you want to provide a dedicated in-car WiFi. If I drove my GS more often, that's the route I'd take. Tmobile have 2GB tether plan for $10 /mo.

I use a Samsung Note 8. Been trying to figure out how to automatically start WiFi Hotspot via Tasker when my phone is connected to the Lexus BT. But something has changed in Android 8.1 +, you can't use Tasker or similiar apps to automatically start Hotspot. Need to root, but I don't want to root for fear of breaking Samsung Pay which I use quite often. I have to remember to start Hotspot when I get in the car. Not really a big deal. Just pull down notification shade and click "Mobile Hotspot".

Not sure how all that works with iPhone. Being that Apple products are severely limited and restrictive, hence I don't use them.

Last edited by jdpdata; 02-14-19 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 02:14 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Understood; i just want either Android Auto or Carplay.

Regarding the wifi, i would just get a used hotspot. I got a used cradlepoint for $50 off ebay, added to my cell account, and it works great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed