GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 05:25 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Does this support Google Assistant?

Also, does the puck controller still have the haptic feedback when trying to select things?
Old 02-08-19, 06:06 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

@gromaudio seconded regarding the gapticv feedback; does the vl2 unit have this?

Also can we replace the oe voice assistant button?
Old 02-08-19, 06:41 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 440 Likes on 309 Posts

I want one.
Old 02-08-19, 07:04 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Looks like this would work much better on a touch screen.
Yeah, might be better but I still prefer RT mouse. My arm rest conformable during driving and not reaching for some screen.

Originally Posted by AsianxWu
Does this support Google Assistant?

Also, does the puck controller still have the haptic feedback when trying to select things?
You can download Google Assistant via PlayStore, No haptic feedback in any of the apps and no volume level overlay.
@gromaudio can we get volume level overlay?

Originally Posted by bob256k
@gromaudio seconded regarding the gapticv feedback; does the vl2 unit have this?

Also can we replace the oe voice assistant button?
I don't see how GROM can implement haptic feedback due the vast number of apps this thing supports. Lexus can do it because they know exactly where the buttons are in their limited apps.
You can't replace OE steering wheel voice button. Would be really nice if GROM can make this button summons Google Assistant instead.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I want one.
Get it now before price goes up! You won't regret it.
Old 02-08-19, 07:10 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by lbcgav
Looks like it's already gone up to $599.

Edit: looks like I was looking at the wrong one. It is $539 for the GS.
Yup, still $539.95, prices goes back up after Feb 15, 2019.
They have many different SKU's for different Lexus radio configuration.
Make sure you're looking at SKU LEX89LV2 which works for our GS MY13-15.
The hardware is all the same, but wire harnesses could be different for different MY.
Old 02-08-19, 09:14 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Testing day 2:

-Start car. From cold start VL2 booted within 20 secs
-Start Mobile Hotspot on my Note 8 smartphone. I need to figure out how to start Hotspot automatically when phone connects to car via Blutooth...Tasker, but that requires root?
-Deliberately left GPS in glove box to test.
-Open Waze, GPS is having difficulty acquiring signal
-Throw GPS puck on dash, after 30 secs GPS signal is good. So I need to mount GPS for clear view of skies.
-Click microphone button in Waze. Say "Navigate to New Temple Elementary" Waze starts navigation
-From within Waze, start Pandora. Music starts to play. Rest of drive was uneventful. Everything working as it should.

On the way back, I hopped on freeway for some higher speed driving. GPS had zero problems tracking my location. It re-routed immediately if I take a detour.
Back-up into my garage, back-up camera is working flawlessly. Man I love this thing!
Anything else you guys want me to test..throw it up.
Old 02-08-19, 11:52 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bob256k
@gromaudio seconded regarding the haptic feedback; does the vl2 unit have this when using the mouse?

Also can we replace the OEM voice assistant button, so when you press the steering wheel button it triggers the VL2 Google Assistant
@gromaudio Any answers on these questions?

Also is it possible to share the GPS antenna, or use a different GPS antenna mounted outside the vehicle?

I am willing to get in on a group buy if these questions can be answered.
Old 02-08-19, 12:00 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Be advise it's Chinese New Year this week. I'm not sure if GROM is a Chinese company based in California, but expect slow response if they are.
You could always use their support page. I got really quick replies that way.
https://gromaudio.com/support.html
Old 02-08-19, 01:18 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Does anyone know when VL3 will be available? I have been holding off, because I heard a new version is coming soon...
Old 02-08-19, 06:19 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Does it really worth spending that money for a tablet in the car? If I would be a truck driver, maybe yes...
Old 02-08-19, 06:30 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Finish my install today...

Cut a small open in filter door to route harness. Didn't want to hack up my glove box, so this is more reasonable.

Mount VL2 with some automotive grade Velcro. Easy to remove if I need to access cabin filter.

Zip tied everything down for nice OEM look. Don't know what all these HDMI and VGA ports are for. Maybe future expansion..front cameras? Full Android Auto and Car Play are supported in the future with those USB ports.

Route GPS to passenger pillar. Looks very OEM.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (02-09-19)
Old 02-08-19, 08:57 PM
lbcgav
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job! Looks great.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (02-08-19)
Old 02-08-19, 10:03 PM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This looks really good, but I'm a little unsure how easy it is to install this thing. I checked out the eddie420 guide on dash disassembly and I'm assuming we don't need to take apart the ENTIRE dash to get this installed. The grom install guide is very generic. I'm probably of average ability with a wrench, but would most reputable car stereo places be able to do this instead?
Old 02-08-19, 10:28 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by medsaver
This looks really good, but I'm a little unsure how easy it is to install this thing. I checked out the eddie420 guide on dash disassembly and I'm assuming we don't need to take apart the ENTIRE dash to get this installed. The grom install guide is very generic. I'm probably of average ability with a wrench, but would most reputable car stereo places be able to do this instead?

Installation is super easy. I'm no car stereo pro, but I was able to do it with Eddie's guide. No, you don't need to remove the entire dash.
Basically you are removing the radio & display to plug in harnesses provide by GROM, everything is plug n play.
Removing your glove box will make it easier to route cables thru.
If you're still not comfortable doing these steps, any reputable car stereo shop should be able to do this in under 90 minutes max.
Tools you need: trim pry tools, 10mm socket and ratchet. small Phillips screwdriver, and maybe a flashlight.

Here are the detailed step:

0. I disconnect negative battery terminal first. Probably not needed, but I wanted to be safe that I'm not setting off anything.
1. Remove Passenger and Drive side trim by pulling up on them
2. Remove radio trim by pulling it outward. Lower glove box will help give you some space to grab on to it.
3. Remove two bolts under radio
4. Carefully pull radio out. Placing a towel underneath radio to avoid scratches.
5. Locate Power Audio Connectors behind the radio, unplug them ..59-pin and 16-pin. See VL2 Installation manual
6. Connect the supplied VL2 Power Audio Harness Interface Cable into both 59-pin and 16-pin. See VL2 Installation manual
7. Connect what you unplug from #5 into the female portion of the harness in #6
8. Route harness to glove box. Done with radio. Put everything back, don't forget to put back the two bolts in #3
9. Now moving on to NAV Display Unit.
10. Remove 3 plastic screws above the plastic trim bezel around the NAV Display
11. Pry trim bezel with pry tool to remove, Pry down and pull toward you it will come out with ease
12. Remove 4 bolts holding NAV Display
13. Carefully pull out NAV Display and locate Blue Video Display Port
14. Unplug factory Display cable (it's Blue as well)
15. Plug in supplied VL2 Y cable and reconnect factory Display cable into female plug.
16. Route Video Cable to Glove box.
17. Done with Nav Display. Put everything back.
18. Next, remove glove box to route cable behind it. I cut a small opening in Cabin Filter door cover to route harness thru..see pictures above.
19. Route GPS unit to wherever you like, it needs clear view of skies. I recommend mounting it with supplied 3M double sided tape on windshield.
20. Zip tied everything to make it look good.
20b. Reconnect Negative Terminal battery post.
21. Now proceed to setup VL2 unit, follow the User Guide provided. I recommend leaving the car running during Initial Setup as it will take awhile so it doesn't drain your battery!

BTW, I recommend you watch GROMs installation how-to videos on their YT channel.
They don't have 4G GS 350 installation video yet, but they do have IS, ES, RX videos which are very similiar to our cars.

Last edited by jdpdata; 02-08-19 at 10:40 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jdpdata:
eddie420 (02-09-19), HondaChuck (07-14-22), medsaver (02-09-19)
Old 02-09-19, 07:54 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
This is super clean, would not have though of this. I may copy you if I get it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by medsaver
My guide is very thorough on how to remove your entire dash and disassemble it. For this installation, as jp pointed out, it's pretty straightforward and with a little bit of time, you can do it yourself with zero experience. And yes, most reputable car places can do it also but trust me, save your money and do it yourself.

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed