GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GROM VL2 installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 09:46 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by NetEditor
That's a shame that they won't stand behind their product. I guess I'll forget about getting one.
You got to take everything with a grain of salt. Sure some people experience some minor problems like screen glitches, but does that prevent you from enjoying VL2. Not really IMO. The glitches only occurs on OEM screen which you will probably never use again once you get VL2. If you take your time routing GROM cable harness away from other OE harnesses, you probably will not experience any glitches. BSOD I've only experienced twice in last 3-4 months. I remain confident that GROM will eventually fix it with a firmware update. Remember GROM is a hack. It's amazing how stable it is despite some minor issues. I still would do it again because I hate Lexus OE Infotainment, last few updates took away Pandora and other useful apps, it has become worthless to me. Even major OSes like Mac OSX/Windows experience some glitches. If you expect nothing but perfection from GROM, then yeah stay away. There is nothing out there currently that is like GROM. Well, there is Chinese brand Lsailt android device. But it's just as expensive and you will gamble with tech support.
Old 04-12-19, 10:43 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
You got to take everything with a grain of salt. Sure some people experience some minor problems like screen glitches, but does that prevent you from enjoying VL2. Not really IMO. The glitches only occurs on OEM screen which you will probably never use again once you get VL2. If you take your time routing GROM cable harness away from other OE harnesses, you probably will not experience any glitches. BSOD I've only experienced twice in last 3-4 months. I remain confident that GROM will eventually fix it with a firmware update. Remember GROM is a hack. It's amazing how stable it is despite some minor issues. I still would do it again because I hate Lexus OE Infotainment, last few updates took away Pandora and other useful apps, it has become worthless to me. Even major OSes like Mac OSX/Windows experience some glitches. If you expect nothing but perfection from GROM, then yeah stay away. There is nothing out there currently that is like GROM. Well, there is Chinese brand Lsailt android device. But it's just as expensive and you will gamble with tech support.
I do agree with you. GROM has given us something that will take Lexus light years to bring to their infotainment systems. Remember they've been the last in almost all car brands to finally bring Apple CarPlay. GROM has hacked their systems and gave us something that will make us feel like our cars are very up to date to the latest technologies. Look at GROM as if you had a jailbroken iPhone. There will be a lot more glitches on that phone than if you were running the regular OS on it and that's a choice you've made. You have to approach it with an open mind. Otherwise, it's not for you. I don't know any systems in this world that's perfect. Some of us deal with more issues with it than others but would seeing or reading those make me regret my decision for getting it, absolutely not! I've had mine for a little over a month now and there's not one day I even think about going back to the OEM system. So yeah, take it with a grain of salt; their support hasn't been that bad.

Meanwhile, the latest firmware update keeps bricking my system and I find myself sideloading an old firmware from a USB drive in order to get it to work again. I've been in touch with support and they are investigating. Just wondering if any of you has experienced that as well. The firware is LEX789 Release
Old 04-12-19, 10:59 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
I do agree with you. GROM has given us something that will take Lexus light years to bring to their infotainment systems. Remember they've been the last in almost all car brands to finally bring Apple CarPlay. GROM has hacked their systems and gave us something that will make us feel like our cars are very up to date to the latest technologies. Look at GROM as if you had a jailbroken iPhone. There will be a lot more glitches on that phone than if you were running the regular OS on it and that's a choice you've made. You have to approach it with an open mind. Otherwise, it's not for you. I don't know any systems in this world that's perfect. Some of us deal with more issues with it than others but would seeing or reading those make me regret my decision for getting it, absolutely not! I've had mine for a little over a month now and there's not one day I even think about going back to the OEM system. So yeah, take it with a grain of salt; their support hasn't been that bad.

Meanwhile, the latest firmware update keeps bricking my system and I find myself sideloading an old firmware from a USB drive in order to get it to work again. I've been in touch with support and they are investigating. Just wondering if any of you has experienced that as well. The firware is LEX789 Release

I disagree; if you pay for something it should work. Bugs can be fixed via firmware update, hardware and cabling cannot.

The latest update hasn't bricked the system yet. Also does anyone notice distortion in the higher frequencies when using Carplay? I can hear it at any volume.
Old 04-12-19, 11:07 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

I've received multiple firmware updates now. No bricking problems, fingers crossed it will stay that way. Crazy how different MY can affect GROM's OS. Their techs must be pulling their hair out with all these little issues.
Old 04-12-19, 11:26 AM
NetEditor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can deal with bugs that can be fixed via firmware updates. But blowing off shoddy physical workmanship is a bad sign.
Old 04-12-19, 11:27 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

I've received multiple firmware updates now. No bricking problems, fingers crossed it will stay that way. Crazy how different MY can affect GROM's OS. Their techs must be pulling their hair out with all these little issues.
Reason why I said each of us experiences different problems to some degree. Weird.
Old 04-12-19, 11:28 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Originally Posted by NetEditor
I can deal with bugs that can be fixed via firmware updates. But blowing off shoddy physical workmanship is a bad sign.
That, I totally agree with 100%
Old 04-12-19, 11:37 AM
medsaver
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I updated my firmware a few weeks ago. No bsod since then. Since it's working I'm not doing anymore firmware updates unless I have to
Old 04-12-19, 11:42 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

So I'm the only one with that issue huh. So weird...
Old 04-19-19, 09:10 AM
glad76
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can anyone provide me with detailed pic of the VL2 harness? What plugs into the factory connections and what goes to the VL2 unit. I'm trying to find out the pinouts for the stock navigation controller/joystick?

Also does this work with the integrated mic in the car or does this use an external mic?
Old 04-19-19, 10:41 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Originally Posted by glad76
can anyone provide me with detailed pic of the VL2 harness? What plugs into the factory connections and what goes to the VL2 unit. I'm trying to find out the pinouts for the stock navigation controller/joystick?

Also does this work with the integrated mic in the car or does this use an external mic?
I think it's cool that you're trying to get Raspberry Pi to work in your GS. You're one of the first person to attempt this. Good luck and I hope you succeed. That being said, GROM already have a completely built unit that does all this with really nice integration with factory steering wheel buttons and RT mouse controls. Though it's not perfect, there are some quirks to deal with. But most of us here that have installed GROM, really likes it.

I didn't take detailed pictures of the harness before installation, but I have attached installation notes below from GROM's manual. There are two main harnesses that GROM provides - GVMF Display Harness and MCFLEX789 Power Harness. The Display harness plugs into back of Blue OE Display port. Power harness plug into back of Radio 59-pin and 16-pin connectors. Both of these harnesses are then routed and plug into corresponding ports back of GROM unit. Factory microphone works with GROM without any additional step, really nice integration!

You might want to get in touch with @bob256k. He did some custom rework with his harnesses. Maybe he'll have the detailed pictures and pin-out you're looking for.

Old 04-19-19, 12:51 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by glad76

you will probably do better by grabbing factory wiring schematics from TIS system that Lexus/Toyota Technicians use. the GROM manual will not give you information of Pinout functions as it is a plug and Play harness.
Old 04-19-19, 01:37 PM
glad76
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's cool that you're trying to get Raspberry Pi to work in your GS. You're one of the first person to attempt this. Good luck and I hope you succeed. That being said, GROM already have a completely built unit that does all this with really nice integration with factory steering wheel buttons and RT mouse controls. Though it's not perfect, there are some quirks to deal with. But most of us here that have installed GROM, really likes it.

I didn't take detailed pictures of the harness before installation, but I have attached installation notes below from GROM's manual. There are two main harnesses that GROM provides - GVMF Display Harness and MCFLEX789 Power Harness. The Display harness plugs into back of Blue OE Display port. Power harness plug into back of Radio 59-pin and 16-pin connectors. Both of these harnesses are then routed and plug into corresponding ports back of GROM unit. Factory microphone works with GROM without any additional step, really nice integration!

You might want to get in touch with @bob256k. He did some custom rework with his harnesses. Maybe he'll have the detailed pictures and pin-out you're looking for.

Thanks for sending through it looks like they are tapping into the display unit as well, so I may need to look at that as well. The GROM unit looks good however I do like the flexibility of being able to customize things on my own, who knows if it doesn't work out I may go down this route.

Originally Posted by specONE
you will probably do better by grabbing factory wiring schematics from TIS system that Lexus/Toyota Technicians use. the GROM manual will not give you information of Pinout functions as it is a plug and Play harness.
Thats what I'm hoping for just don't have access to it.
Old 04-19-19, 01:57 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

you can get access to tis for 2 days for $20 iirc
Old 04-30-19, 10:10 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Default Yay! Android Auto is finally coming...

The following 2 users liked this post by jdpdata:
ChronoR (04-30-19), superboy74 (04-30-19)

Quick Reply: GROM VL2 installed