Things You Don't Like On Your GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 01:50 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Willcbooth

Nope. Drove it off the lot with 13 miles. Lexus covered the first 3 under warranty and the last 4 were covered as a “courtesy”. Driver, passenger, rear passenger side all twice, and driver rear once. Talked to a Lexus roadside guy and his tundra has had 3 in a year and a half. A GX at the dealership was pulling in for his 13th. It’s something they haven’t been able to explain, one guy said that Toyota has stated that it seems to be with fragrances affecting the actuators which to me is bs...I don’t use those items in the car. Seems to be a Toyota issue that needs to be addressed.
"Fragrances affecting the actuators" is hilarious!
Old 02-12-19, 12:21 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

I've expanded on my initial list I posted below in the welcome section:

Worst things about the GS:
* Coming from BMW's phenomenal and easy to use iDrive system, I feel like I went back 15 years with this Lexus system. In fact it's the worst "infotainment" system I have ever used, period. I almost didn't buy the Lexus for this reason alone it's so bad. BMW iDrive is a million times better and so ahead of Lexus in this area, which I found to be very surprising coming from a such advanced technology country in Japan. The mouse tracker cursor thing is just worst invention and way to use this system in my humble opinion. What was Lexus thinking?
* Backup camera resolution is terrible compared to my 2012 BMW's high HD resolution view, Lexus camera looks like 480p resolution in comparison.
* No Surround 360 or front camera system. I miss this allot and coming from BMW I didn't think I would miss these cool features but it's one of those features once you have it and then you don't, it's almost a must have.
* The half a$$ heated steering wheel . All of my BMW's have full on heat throughout entire steering wheel and get really warm and very consistent heat, the GS version is a joke.
* Stupid hump in the middle of the drivers side.
* No soft close doors (nice to have again but not a big deal)
* HUD. I had this in my 5 series too, but I understand these are very difficult to come by and not many opted for this option. (2015)
* No Radar Cruise Control, but understand this was also an option for 2015 models.
* Terrible "ambient lighting system"
* Virtually no storage at all and the small cubby inside the console is worthless and bottom door panels can't even fit a 16oz water bottle.
* The bumper sensors (park assist) are so damn sensitive that even a light rain or snow fall will render them useless as they are constantly going off or showing errors.
* Rear seats don't fold.
* Use of halogen lights ( I upgraded to all LED but a joke Lexus Luxury brand still uses halogen)
* Key Fobs (keyless entry) don't memorize custom driver modes so that it would recognize driver profiles and automatically change my driver position, radio settings and HVAC settings when you open door. Again all my modern BMW's all did this very well and an amazing feature to have especially if you have multiple drivers.
* No panoramic roof.
* No steering wheel radio control/scrolling
* Did I mention that stupid Enform system UI? Man I wish they would give us an upgrade to factory Android/Apple Auto options.This would solve 99% of all the infotainment system issues.
* Steering wheel stalks are dirt cheap plastics right off of Toyota bin parts.
* No illumination on the steering wheel stalks
* NuLuxe door panel trims are very prone to wear and wrinkles and look worse than real leather. Especially in the elbow rest areas and knees touches the center console areas.
* Unable to close power trunk with remote

I have a few more that I will list later but are more of annoyances than bad or omitted features.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 02-12-19 at 01:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-12-19, 01:22 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Why did you not stay with BMW?
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 02:04 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
I've expanded on my initial list I posted below in the welcome section:

Worst things about the GS:

* Terrible"ambient lighting system"
* Virtually no storage at all and the small cubby inside the console is worthless and bottom door panels can't even fit a 16oz water bottle.
* Key Fobs (keyless entry) don't memorize custom driver modes so that it would recognize driver profiles and automatically change my driver position, radio settings and HVAC settings when you open door. Again all my modern BMW's all did this very well and an amazing feature to have especially if you have multiple drivers.
What's terrible about the ambient lighting? Is it that's it's too dim? I think it's too dim once you put it in drive and wish there was a brightness control. In city driving at night it's almost too dim to see.

Yeah, I wish the center console storage was bigger I don't know why it's not an inch or two deeper but maybe there's no room but I suspect there is.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to link seat memory to a keyfob but not the other things. Offhand I don't know how to do it but I think it's in the manual.
signdetres (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 02:05 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Probably the unreliability and repair bills.

Mercedes is old money, BMW is new money, Lexus is smart money.
Old 02-12-19, 03:01 PM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 02REX
I bought my car in Sep 2018. drove it home from Richmond, VA to Yorba Linda, CA. one month later had the Modellista front lip installed, and two weeks later had the Paint protection film installed. Best investment ever! especially on a white car! I used touch up paint on the front end before installation. you cant go wrong.
That is one hell of a drive lol. The furthest East I've taken my car is Vegas and that's nothing.
Old 02-12-19, 03:31 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 02REX
I bought my car in Sep 2018. drove it home from Richmond, VA to Yorba Linda, CA. one month later had the Modellista front lip installed, and two weeks later had the Paint protection film installed. Best investment ever! especially on a white car! I used touch up paint on the front end before installation. you cant go wrong.

Got a lot of strange looks while driving mine home from Texas to Illinois.
signdetres (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 06:01 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know they were added from 2014 on but not having auto folding mirrors on my 2013 really annoys me considering I had them on my 2006 GS. I also agree with the others on not having a folding rear seat not having an overhead sunglass holder.
Old 02-12-19, 06:05 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

I still own a couple but wanted to break from my 20+ years of owning exclusive German cars and for my next car I wanted to give Lexus a try. Outside of reliability (most reason for switch) the more I drive my GS and start comparing them to my BMW's, the more I realize there are allot of badly implemented features or lack there of in Lexus with very outdated technology that they are simply way behind in today. The competition has left Lexus GS in the dust and no surprise it will probably be killed off as a result. It's a great car to drive no doubt but even in today's market the GS is very long in the tooth and needs allot of help if it wants to survive beyond 2019. Hence why I didn't buy new as I wanted to give a Certified Lexus a try first before I make any additional future purchases although my wife likes the new RX350 so she may jump on board but I will still reserve overall judgment on this GS model after a good solid year of ownership.
Old 02-12-19, 06:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^ See, you should have bought a newer GS. Several of the issues you noted have been addressed.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
np20412 (02-13-19), signdetres (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19, 08:28 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Got a lot of strange looks while driving mine home from Texas to Illinois.
Looks like a plane parked on jetway instead of a car in a parking lot.

Salim
Old 02-13-19, 09:17 AM
mrcindy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeller
The piano black plastic on the center console and door switches are dust magnets. A lot of people complain about no a/c button, but it's not needed. It doesn't have an older style a/c compressor with a magnetic clutch that you could hear the "click" as it engages. It has a variable swash plate that internally engages as needed. So essentially its always on, even if you turn the climate system off it adjust the swash plate to the same position as it would if it was too cold outside and the a/c is not needed. So those of you thinking its wasting gas in the winter just leaving it in auto are incorrect. The a/c light might on, but the compressor isn't pumping refrigerant.
Stupid question here.... Is that why I can't put my car on "vent" (a word which isn't used, BTW) unless I get into the Nav Climate system to do so? It'd be a LOT more convenient if there were a simple button. I'm very much an open window / open sun roof driver. Until it gets hot I never use the AC.
Old 02-13-19, 10:07 AM
mrcindy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm generally very happy with the car, and most of my gripes stem from two things: (1) the fact that its my first "smart" car with a lot of electronic gizmos, and (2) I perpetually monitor things. Here's my list after 2,000 miles with my certified used '17 GS350:
  • The center console between the front seats is difficult to use. After sliding the top back the driver has to completely adjust himself just to see what's in there. I've found that I simply don't use it because its too inconvenient.
  • While I appreciate the specific place for the owner's manual in the glove box (a feature my BMW didn't have, so the manual was usually tossed on the back seat), there's very little room in there otherwise.
  • When on cruise the information display within the gauge cluster changes randomly to show my speed. It seems random, anyway. And its not just when cars pull in front of me or when I close in on somebody. I know my speed and I'm aware of cars being in front of me. I'd rather see the information I've set. Is there any way to turn that function off?
  • On the radio controls on the left part of the steering wheel you press the mode button to go from AM, FM, Bluetooth, AUX, and back to AM. I only flip between AM and FM and its a pain to be driving and have to slowly go through Bluetooth and AUX to get back to AM. Is there any way to set that so the mode goes only to those places you choose?
  • Speaking of the radio, I'd like to see a simple radio scrolling that goes through all AM and FM stations that you've input in the system.
  • I'd like to turn off the car and continue listening to a radio segment or song for a few minutes, but turning off the car turns off everything.
  • Its absurd that I can't see the odometer and one of my trips at the same time.
  • I like the split NAV screen with a small map on the right, and information on the left, but every time I turn off the car and turn it back on, the screen defaults to the large map. Can that be reset?
  • I wish the display always showed the current gear. I don't use the manual, but I do use engine braking with the left paddle when doing things such as exiting a highway, and I'd like to know where I stand before I use it. It'll show the gear to which you downshift, but even that disappears in a few seconds.
  • I'd like to turn off the AC and be on vent without going through the NAV / Climate screen. A simple button would be nice.
  • The same is true for having the fan blow on your feet, chest or above. A simple button would be nice.

Last edited by mrcindy; 02-13-19 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-13-19, 10:55 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^ See, you should have bought a newer GS. Several of the issues you noted have been addressed.
Same crappy issues for the most part. Outside of a few cosmetic changes on all 2016+ its the same car and still outdated interior. Cosmetic changes didn't address anything I mentioned other than making certain safety features standard vs. optional.
Old 02-13-19, 11:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Same crappy issues for the most part. Outside of a few cosmetic changes on all 2016+ its the same car and still outdated interior. Cosmetic changes didn't address anything I mentioned other than making certain safety features standard vs. optional.
That doesn't change my point. Several of the items you mentioned have changed, such as halogen lighting, HUD availability, safety features, etc.

Sorry to hear you are so unhappy with your car. Hopefully your next one will be more enjoyable for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
np20412 (02-13-19), signdetres (02-13-19)

Quick Reply: Things You Don't Like On Your GS