Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by kode3
2015 GS
No manual A/C button.
No place for sunglasses.
Customize modes, i.e. normal mode with sport+ handling
Enform costs, remote start should be standard without a service
If you set the climate control to auto and the circulation to auto, the car does a great job of maintaining whatever temperature you set it to. If you set only one of them to auto it doesn't work right.
Old 02-05-19, 10:12 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
I have a 2013, so this might not apply to all, but...

1) Lack of tech/forward thinking with infotainment system and with other things (I would ideally want a Tesla type of control on each little detail of the car. I haven't used Android Auto/Apple Car Play, but that may be a good option as well.

2) Somewhat related to the above point, but the ability to remote start and not having the car shutoff as soon as you open the door. In addition, you should be able to change HVAC all settings (i.e. temperature, A/C, fan speed, open/close each of the windows, etc etc) all from the app. All of this should be free (no additional cost like Enform).

3) Navigation should use Google Maps/Waze which would auto update over the air so that way there is no need to pay a dealer to spend 1 hour providing small updates to our navigation updates through a SD card.

4) Satellite radio should be free

5) Seats should be not just air-cooled (blow a far), but actually utilize the HVAC system to blow cold air.

6) I have a hybrid, so the use of lithium ion instead of the older NiMH batteries would be a nice.

The other things, I won't mention, since I was able to "fix" them or upgrade/enhance them using small mods that members of this forum suggested (see my signature).

Don't get me wrong, I still love the GS, but if I had to build a more perfect car (for me) - things are things that I would want improvements on.

~ Im2bz2p345
The older battery is bulletproof and well tested. lithium ion will have longterm reliability issues. Toyota sticks to what works. They are currently working on solid-state batteries, that would be a game changer for hybrid and all-electric cars.
Old 02-05-19, 10:14 AM
kode3
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
If you set the climate control to auto and the circulation to auto, the car does a great job of maintaining whatever temperature you set it to. If you set only one of them to auto it doesn't work right.
What button is for circulation? Just got the car on the 14th of Jan and it didn't have the manuals.
Old 02-05-19, 10:19 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

What button is for circulation? Just got the car on the 14th of Jan and it didn't have the manuals.
You need to set the below red box to auto, click either button on the side of it till auto lights up.
Also turn on the auto button circled in green.

If you do this whatever number you set for temperature will work much better than just one button on auto.

The following users liked this post:
kode3 (02-05-19)
Old 02-05-19, 10:30 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

No quick way to get from 3-zones back to single zone temperature.
If they would just let me tap the 'auto' button twice or something, that would be so huge.

Last edited by jonathancl; 02-05-19 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-05-19, 10:39 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Just wish door armrests were a little wider.
Neil64 (01-11-22)
Old 02-05-19, 11:23 AM
kode3
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
You need to set the below red box to auto, click either button on the side of it till auto lights up.
Also turn on the auto button circled in green.

If you do this whatever number you set for temperature will work much better than just one button on auto.

I'll check it out, thanks for the photo!

Old 02-05-19, 01:49 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

2015 GS
No manual A/C button.
No place for sunglasses.
Customize modes, i.e. normal mode with sport+ handling
Enform costs, remote start should be standard without a service
You can also go into the car settings and change how to the circulate button functions so that when you tap the circulate button and set it to auto the AC will come on and with either of the other settings (recirc or outside) will turn the AC off.

1. Lack of sunglass holder and in it's place is the non-functional SOS button which could have gone anywhere
2. Lack of dedicated source buttons and inability to disable and remove sources I don't care about so it doesn't cycle through them all. Radio & Media buttons help but you still have to cycle through half the list. Also general slowness of the infotainment response in general.
3. Mark Levinson system sounds like garbage half the time and gives me headaches with overpowered high frequencies
4. Lack of dedicated AC button however Auto is pretty good and there is a work around (see above)
5. Very difficult to reach into center console with right arm as it doesn't extend back far enough to not block my arm. Part of this is due to seat position as those sitting farther forward might not mind. I also wish it was hinged on the long axis instead like some other cars. Also don't like not being able to open it fully without sliding it back first.
6. I wish the current gear was shown all the time and not just when in M or when you pull the paddle shifter. If I'm in the std auto mode and want to use paddle shifter to downshift I'd like to know what gear I'm in beforehand.

The funny thing is that with the exception of number 6, all of these were done better in my 2007 Camry. These were very frustrating when I moved over however the many benefits far outweigh these in comparison to the Camry.
kode3 (02-05-19)
Old 02-05-19, 09:11 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
No quick way to get from 3-zones back to single zone temperature.
If they would just let me tap the 'auto' button twice or something, that would be so huge.
just cut off the back with the button under circulate and hit auto to go back to single zone?

my complaint is i couldn't get all option but thats a lexus "custom build" issue and then rear doors don't auto unlock when you pull the handle unless im missing something? does anyone know if this can be changed?
Old 02-06-19, 02:43 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
just cut off the back with the button under circulate and hit auto to go back to single zone?

my complaint is i couldn't get all option but thats a lexus "custom build" issue and then rear doors don't auto unlock when you pull the handle unless im missing something? does anyone know if this can be changed?

Old 02-06-19, 05:02 AM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
thanks meant from the inside not outside. Front 2 unlock just by pulling the handle
Old 02-06-19, 07:23 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
Yeah. Having to navigate and click through the menu because one of my kids bumped a button last time they were in the car just bugs me.
Infiniti has more buttons so you can do more of the things you need without the menu system. I don't need a ton more, but one or two would be great.

I could also go for a button to cycle through paired bluetooth devices. Every car should have that, but I've not found one that does. Massive pain when both my wife and I are in the car together.
Old 02-06-19, 07:58 AM
mjo13
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by donkiboy
2) Driver seat cushion cannot go low enough. I'm only 5'10" but I just feel like I'm sitting on top of the seat instead of "in" it.
This x1000. I'm 6'1" and more torso than legs. I have the rearview mirror as high up as possible, but if the seat was another 2-3 inches lower it would be perfect for driving position. Still, the seat is way more comfortable than most cars I've been in so I can't complain too much. I saw a review of the 2019 ES and it looks like the newer seat design is more bucket-like where you sit more "in" the seat than on it. Will have to check out the 19 GS the next time I'm at the dealer to see if it's similar.

Other than that, very happy with this car and no big complaints, other than no manual gearbox, but if course I knew that going in!
Old 02-06-19, 10:04 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by mjo13
This x1000. I'm 6'1" and more torso than legs. I have the rearview mirror as high up as possible, but if the seat was another 2-3 inches lower it would be perfect for driving position. Still, the seat is way more comfortable than most cars I've been in so I can't complain too much. I saw a review of the 2019 ES and it looks like the newer seat design is more bucket-like where you sit more "in" the seat than on it. Will have to check out the 19 GS the next time I'm at the dealer to see if it's similar.

Other than that, very happy with this car and no big complaints, other than no manual gearbox, but if course I knew that going in!
Agreed. Driver's seat doesn't go low enough. Tall driver here too, also have the rearview mirror as high up as possible, still blocks my visibility every now and then though. Took me a full year to finally find a comfortable seating position that didn't involve my head/hair hitting the roof. Probably my only real complaint with the GS though, in terms of things I don't like about it (not counting things that I consider more of "wish list" type items rather than actual dislikes).
Old 02-06-19, 05:15 PM
berman2921
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjo13
I test drove 2019 F-Sport GS and ES back to back and was surprised that the ES' seat was more comfortable even though it didn't have the seat length and bolster adjustments

Quick Reply: Things You Don't Like On Your GS