GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Weird Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 02:57 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Wink Weird Question

So this may be a weird question or just a plain dumb question (so please forgive me). I had the heater basically blasting for about 20-30 minutes and noticed this black plastic part got really hot and the other side (which would be on the passenger side ) was not hot or even warm at all. It could be just that i had my heat blasted and perhaps the vent was pointed towards there but i don't think that's the case. I only noticed because i dropped food near there and the back of my hand touched it and I was like wooh this is absurdly hot. Just found it weird since the other side (the one on the passenger side) didn't even feel warm. I'm probably overthinking this but anyone else notice or experience this? Am i just being a little crazy haha. I'm probably just being nuts because my basic warranty is running out and i'm trying to fix every minor thing even if its nothing LOL.

Last edited by gs350lex; 01-21-19 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Picture wasn't attached
Old 01-21-19, 03:16 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350lex

So this may be a weird question or just a plain dumb question (so please forgive me). I had the heater basically blasting for about 20-30 minutes and noticed this black plastic part got really hot and the other side (which would be on the passenger side ) was not hot or even warm at all. It could be just that i had my heat blasted and perhaps the vent was pointed towards there but i don't think that's the case. I only noticed because i dropped food near there and the back of my hand touched it and I was like wooh this is absurdly hot. Just found it weird since the other side (the one on the passenger side) didn't even feel warm. I'm probably overthinking this but anyone else notice or experience this? Am i just being a little crazy haha. I'm probably just being nuts because my basic warranty is running out and i'm trying to fix every minor thing even if its nothing LOL.
Maybe the heater duct for the back seat vent runs on that side ??
Old 01-21-19, 03:35 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Is the floor vent under the drivers seat blocked? Move the seat all the way forward to check that air is coming out. Are the vents at the back of the armrest open?
Old 01-21-19, 04:38 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

I second the rear seat ducts most likely run through there.
are the vent controls set to the feet circulation?
Old 01-21-19, 06:35 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

We need someone who has taken their car apart to chime in... eddie420 maybe?
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (01-22-19)
Old 01-21-19, 06:47 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I'd wager that the duct runs closer to the driver side than the passengers side. Models that aren't equipped with rear zone climate control I'd assume use the drivers side temp to provide air to the rear seats.
Old 01-21-19, 06:59 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Yes it's the ducts going to the rear seat vents on the back of the console.
Old 01-21-19, 08:09 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Mine does the same thing. This is what I’ve found to be true or at least I’d like to believe so...when I have my seat warmers on the heat tarvels through there and into the seat to release through the air hole ventilations...I turned off the seat warmers and noticed that part didn’t get warm. Maybe a coincidence? Maybe that’s true but either way it seems as though it doesn’t get warm when I don’t have the seat warmers on..best of luck and if u find out let us know.
Old 01-21-19, 09:19 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

random question to tack on but has anyone noticed auto heat/cooling for passenger side turns on sometimes when no one is sitting there or anything in the seat at all?
Old 01-21-19, 11:05 PM
rtalnique
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
random question to tack on but has anyone noticed auto heat/cooling for passenger side turns on sometimes when no one is sitting there or anything in the seat at all?
Yes, I just noticed it happening and was concerned so glad I'm not the only one!
Old 01-22-19, 06:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx
It will do that is the S Flow mode is set to off.
Old 01-22-19, 10:36 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Chavez562
Mine does the same thing. This is what I’ve found to be true or at least I’d like to believe so...when I have my seat warmers on the heat tarvels through there and into the seat to release through the air hole ventilations...I turned off the seat warmers and noticed that part didn’t get warm. Maybe a coincidence? Maybe that’s true but either way it seems as though it doesn’t get warm when I don’t have the seat warmers on..best of luck and if u find out let us know.
The heated seats are like a heating pad, no air is pushed through your seat. The cooled seats push air through the seat. I am not certain, but I think they pull air from the blow the seat via fans. I do not think it comes directly from the heat/AC ducting.

As far as OP's question goes, I do think the ductwork for the rear ducts goes through here. I have noticed that my center console interior gets cold or warm depending on if I have heat or AC on.
Old 01-22-19, 11:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
The heated seats are like a heating pad, no air is pushed through your seat. The cooled seats push air through the seat. I am not certain, but I think they pull air from the blow the seat via fans. I do not think it comes directly from the heat/AC ducting.

As far as OP's question goes, I do think the ductwork for the rear ducts goes through here. I have noticed that my center console interior gets cold or warm depending on if I have heat or AC on.
Correct - the seats are heated by a pad (mat or blanket) with heating element wiring that is operated by applying voltage to the element wiring. The cooled ventilated seating is accomplished by fans mounted underneath the seats that pick up air from the floor area and is forced through the perforations in the seat bottoms and seat backs. (Note: When the ventilated seats are turned On you can lean forward toward the dash and hear the rush of air created by the seat fans.)

In the picture below (from eddie420) it shows [what appears to be] the duct running through the console toward the rear seat vents. If true, the driver's side of the console (at least near the shifter) should not be hot because the duct does not run next to it...except further back toward the rear. Of course, there will be a certain amount of heated or cooled air dissipated inside the console from the duct work carrying that airflow to the rear seat vents.

Old 01-22-19, 11:42 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

This image confirms it. I've also had condensation form on the sides of the console when running the AC with the windows down.
Old 01-22-19, 12:18 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
The cooled ventilated seating is accomplished by fans mounted underneath the seats that pick up air from the floor area and is forced through the perforations in the seat bottoms and seat backs. (Note: When the ventilated seats are turned On you can lean forward toward the dash and hear the rush of air created by the seat fans.)
Good point on cooled vs ventilated. I always forget to use the correct terminology. But I suppose cooled seats would refer to a seat that gets cold air directly from an AC duct. That would be pretty sweet! The GS ventilated seats get the job done for me though.

Quick Reply: Weird Question