GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Drive mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 05:08 PM
mjo13
Rookie

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts

Cool to see the diverse array of drive mode preferences.

2015 F-Sport:
ECO: 80%
Normal; 5%
Sport: 0%
Sport+: 15%

I live in the city and work from home, so I don't put a lot of highway miles on the car. Mostly short trips, so I've been keeping it in ECO mode consistently, but still struggling to crack 20mpg average. Often look for a reason to go on longer drives with varied roads so I have an excuse to use Sport+. Don't really see the point of Sport mode when I can just turn the dial one more spin to the right and get the AVS goodness.
Old 01-16-19, 07:09 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by mjo13
Cool to see the diverse array of drive mode preferences.

2015 F-Sport:
ECO: 80%
Normal; 5%
Sport: 0%
Sport+: 15%

I live in the city and work from home, so I don't put a lot of highway miles on the car. Mostly short trips, so I've been keeping it in ECO mode consistently, but still struggling to crack 20mpg average. Often look for a reason to go on longer drives with varied roads so I have an excuse to use Sport+. Don't really see the point of Sport mode when I can just turn the dial one more spin to the right and get the AVS goodness.
To get more than 20 mpg I have found you have to keep the rpms below 2k and use the cruise control. There are a few spots in the transmission gearing that hold the engine at 2k; below 65 and at about 75, for some reason. If you really want to save gas you gotta drive like a old man :/
Old 01-16-19, 08:01 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Eco: 90% with Sport + 10%. I'd do sport+ more if it stayed in that mode when turning the car on like eco does but it doesn't
Old 01-16-19, 11:53 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

2017 GS350 F-sport

Eco - 0%
Normal - 0%
Sport - 0.1% (when I accidentally didn’t turn the **** two clicks)
Sport S+ - 99.9%

Just love how tight and responsive the car feels in Sport S+ mode! I still get around low to mid-20s mpg when cruising on the freeway, so no point for eco or normal mode. Plus, I prefer the look of the gauge in sport mode (white ring and bigger numbers).

Last edited by dchar; 01-16-19 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 09:04 AM
mrcindy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2017 GS350

ECO - 0%
Normal - 95%
Sport - 5%

Most of my driving is highway on cruise, and ECO doesn't help: the tach stays in the same place as Normal, so I don't bother with it. I use Sport when entering the highway in traffic, or in town and I need to get around somebody. Otherwise, I leave it in Normal.
Old 01-17-19, 02:23 PM
Luffy808
Driver

So now that I figured out normal mode. What is it so different than eco mode? Cuz my HUD still shows eco display on my gas pedal use. Also, what is customize mode?! TIA
Old 01-17-19, 02:45 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Luffy808
So now that I figured out normal mode. What is it so different than eco mode? Cuz my HUD still shows eco display on my gas pedal use. Also, what is customize mode?! TIA
If I'm reading your post correctly, I think you may be misunderstanding the mode you are in.

The ECO wording you see on the HUD is not telling you which drive mode you are in. It's simply referring that if you press the gas within the left side of the bar range, you are driving the car in an "economical" way (not to be mistakenly as ECO mode). When the bar shifts to the right when you press the gas harder, you are in "power" which simply means your engine is working harder, and sipping more gas at that very moment.

The topic here in what we are actually discussing is entirely different than the HUD. We are talking about ECO, Normal, Sport, and Sport+ "drive modes." To answer your question, when you are in ECO drive mode, the car's computer will tell the engine to respond to your gas pedal input more slowly. Therefore, your vehicle's throttle response will be more sluggish and in theory, and in design, is meant to save you fuel, hence "eco drive-mode." The normal drive-mode will put the settings in default.. meaning the car's computer will not slow down your throttle response, and your vehicle will respond the normal way. When you get into Sport, it's the opposite, the throttle response will be quicker which makes your car feel and respond faster.
Old 01-17-19, 03:53 PM
Luffy808
Driver

Originally Posted by azipod
If I'm reading your post correctly, I think you may be misunderstanding the mode you are in.

The ECO wording you see on the HUD is not telling you which drive mode you are in. It's simply referring that if you press the gas within the left side of the bar range, you are driving the car in an "economical" way (not to be mistakenly as ECO mode). When the bar shifts to the right when you press the gas harder, you are in "power" which simply means your engine is working harder, and sipping more gas at that very moment.

The topic here in what we are actually discussing is entirely different than the HUD. We are talking about ECO, Normal, Sport, and Sport+ "drive modes." To answer your question, when you are in ECO drive mode, the car's computer will tell the engine to respond to your gas pedal input more slowly. Therefore, your vehicle's throttle response will be more sluggish and in theory, and in design, is meant to save you fuel, hence "eco drive-mode." The normal drive-mode will put the settings in default.. meaning the car's computer will not slow down your throttle response, and your vehicle will respond the normal way. When you get into Sport, it's the opposite, the throttle response will be quicker which makes your car feel and respond faster.
thanks for clarifying. I understand eco mode and normal mode. But what I don’t understand is the customize mode.
Old 01-17-19, 04:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Customized mode was new for 2016 models.

Since mine is a 15, I don't have intimate knowledge of where the settings/menus are, but my understanding is that you can use it to make your own mode, say - SportS+ suspension and throttle but Eco HVAC settings and Normal steering.
Old 01-17-19, 05:40 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

With Customize, you can manually set your Drive Mode with 3 settings, Transmission, Handling and AC.
Old 01-17-19, 06:02 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Just slid into the garage and took these pics of the menu...
Old 01-17-19, 06:24 PM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

2017 Lux:
0% eco
30% normal
40% sport
30% sport +

Maybe I'm not aggressive enough, but mileage is consistently 25-26 MPG regardless of how I drive or the type of traffic; although I never have bumper-to-bumper commute driving
Old 01-18-19, 12:21 AM
Luffy808
Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
thank you so much for this! I’ll be sure to customize the settings!!! Thanks again
Old 01-19-19, 06:13 AM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

2014 GS 350 non f sport

30%- normal
70%- sport
ECO mode was tried once when i first got the car 3 years ago and i found it to be useless.
While in sport the apexi controller is in high throttle(red). I will not have another other way with Joe Z Cat back exhaust.
Old 01-19-19, 10:43 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
Pretty sure my 2015 does not have this option. Must be the 2016+.

Quick Reply: Drive mode