GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2018 Nav update fried my '16 GS's head unit.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 05:41 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 2018 Nav update fried my '16 GS's head unit.

This was unbelievable.

A few weeks ago I stopped by a Lexus dealership to buy the 2018 nav update for my '16 GS. I bought the SIM card in the parts department and took it out to install. The parts dept. told me that the update should take ~20 mins. and to be sure not to turn the car off. Fine.

So the update began normally. But after 20 mins. nothing was happening -- the update stalled. I kept the car running. About 10 mins. later the screen started flashing pink and black. The radio was still on but no infotainment options were available.

So I took the car back to the dealership. The parts dept. said, "We've never seen this before." The service writer wrote a ticket and the shop foreman took charge. About 1 hour later the service writer came out and said, "Would you come with me please." I was then told that the update fried the whole multimedia unit. The unit would have to be replaced at a cost of $8000. The car would be out of commission for a least 2 weeks (getting the part, installing it, etc.).

I'd been thinking about trading the GS for a '18 ES350 UL, which is exactly what I did. I found a ES with the colors that I wanted at a Lexus dealership on the other side of town. They took the GS in on trade and replaced the multimedia unit under warranty. They eventually sold the GS as a CPO.

Old 01-11-19, 05:58 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

If they did a warranty replacement of the head unit, why would you have ever had to pay $8k to fix this?

edit: Also I have seen replacement hard drives as a separate sku for ~$1k, which was probably an option as well. It's very unlikely that an update damaged the hardware, just messed up the data on disk, which the whole OS and Apps and map data.

Last edited by jonathancl; 01-11-19 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-11-19, 07:05 AM
KAH
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
This was unbelievable.

A few weeks ago I stopped by a Lexus dealership to buy the 2018 nav update for my '16 GS. I bought the SIM card in the parts department and took it out to install. The parts dept. told me that the update should take ~20 mins. and to be sure not to turn the car off. Fine.

So the update began normally. But after 20 mins. nothing was happening -- the update stalled. I kept the car running. About 10 mins. later the screen started flashing pink and black. The radio was still on but no infotainment options were available.

So I took the car back to the dealership. The parts dept. said, "We've never seen this before." The service writer wrote a ticket and the shop foreman took charge. About 1 hour later the service writer came out and said, "Would you come with me please." I was then told that the update fried the whole multimedia unit. The unit would have to be replaced at a cost of $8000. The car would be out of commission for a least 2 weeks (getting the part, installing it, etc.).

I'd been thinking about trading the GS for a '18 ES350 UL, which is exactly what I did. I found a ES with the colors that I wanted at a Lexus dealership on the other side of town. They took the GS in on trade and replaced the multimedia unit under warranty. They eventually sold the GS as a CPO.
Irishbrahm,

Curious, how did multimedia failure keep your car out of commission? My thought is you could have driven the car until the multimedia replacement.

Guessing you wanted the ES whether or not the multimedia went out—that’s okay as it is a great car as well.
Old 01-11-19, 07:08 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jonathancl
If they did a warranty replacement of the head unit, why would you have ever had to pay $8k to fix this?
The original dealership would NOT file a warranty claim. Also, the parts department would not refund me for the nav update. I'm in the midst of a credit card dispute for the latter.
Old 01-11-19, 07:12 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KAH

Irishbrahm,

Curious, how did multimedia failure keep your car out of commission? My thought is you could have driven the car until the multimedia replacement.

Guessing you wanted the ES whether or not the multimedia went out—that’s okay as it is a great car as well.
I was out-of-state when this happened. When the unit fried I had no air, no radio, nav, etc. My home dealership was a bit reluctant to get involved because the failure did not occur locally. So the alternative was to leave the GS out of state to get fixed, rent a car to get back home, and then 2 weeks later rent a car to pick up the GS, etc,
Old 01-11-19, 07:56 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

This was unbelievable.

Thats REALLY odd - but its a little unclear: you were doing the install yourself and when it didn't work, you took it to the dealership where they confirmed it was "fried" and were trying to charge you $8000 to replace the unit?

If it was the dealerships fault, they should've fixed it under warranty.
Old 01-11-19, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

That's crazy. I've never heard of that happening.

Enjoy your new ride!
Old 01-11-19, 09:44 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Thats REALLY odd - but its a little unclear: you were doing the install yourself and when it didn't work, you took it to the dealership where they confirmed it was "fried" and were trying to charge you $8000 to replace the unit?

If it was the dealerships fault, they should've fixed it under warranty.
I bought the update in the dealership's parts department. They told me how to install it, so I went to the parking lot and followed their instructions. When it crashed, the service dept. said that it wasn't under warranty because I didn't let a tech do it.
Old 01-11-19, 09:59 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

I bought the update in the dealership's parts department. They told me how to install it, so I went to the parking lot and followed their instructions. When it crashed, the service dept. said that it wasn't under warranty because I didn't let a tech do it.
I look at it like this: It happened that way so that you could get what you really wanted...maybe out of the GS and into an UL ES (which is really nice but a different category all-together than the GS).

This seems a bit dishonest but if that happened to me and I was still under full warranty, I would have waited and told the dealership it worked but suddenly stopped working after a day or two...but, congrats on the ES!
Old 01-11-19, 10:01 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I wonder if the 2018 map data set is corrupt somehow. There was a thread in the 5ES section where something similar happened but it was the dealer performing the update and they tried to tag the owner with the replacement head unit. Interesting to see two cases of this type of head unit failure.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=906694&page=1
Old 01-11-19, 10:16 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

I never cared about in-dash Nav. update. I carry Garmin free standing unit with free life time update.
I think car does not have to be running. All you need is accessory power has to be on when doing something
like that. IMO, there must be a way to recover from this disaster instead of new head unit.
Old 01-11-19, 10:20 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I think car does not have to be running. All you need is accessory power has to be on when doing something
like that.
You'd run the risk of killing the battery or the car shutting power off after 15 minutes. That's why they recommend updating the software with the engine on.
Old 01-11-19, 10:25 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Something fishy about this story.....
Old 01-11-19, 10:51 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Something fishy about this story.....
What do you mean? I have no reason to lie about anything that happened. I thought a major purpose of these forums is to share information and help others in their decisionmaking.

Given this experience and the risk of a head unit failure (even if remote), someone wanting a nav update might consider paying the extra $$$ for a service appointment rather than doing it themselves.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-12-19)
Old 01-11-19, 11:00 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I never cared about in-dash Nav. update. I carry Garmin free standing unit with free life time update.
like that. IMO, there must be a way to recover from this disaster instead of new head unit.
Lexus requires their technicians keep the vehicle's engine running during the entire map update time.

You rarely see many stand alone GPS devices (e.g. Garmin units) in automobiles anymore. They are going the way of phone booths, typewriters, rotary dial telephones and floppy discs.

Quick Reply: 2018 Nav update fried my '16 GS's head unit.