GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 07:48 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Thanks for the update. I guess it's just one of those unexplainable things that happen from time-to-time...
ya kind of annoying but I guess as long as it’s properly fixed, I’m good... if I hear anything else when I pick it up I’ll be sure to communicate with you guys.
Old 01-16-19, 02:23 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

So I finally got my car back! I spoke to the service manager about what happened and more importantly was this preventable. He just said that originally he thought it was initiated because of my lowering springs and thought that that was what triggered the sensor. After the component was diassembled, they found out that it was a faulty component. He said he’s never seen a faulty component before until now, so lucky me I guess. He did mention that most of the time when it does happen, it’s because of the lowering of the vehicle that triggers it. Just an FYI everyone but there you have it guys...
Old 01-16-19, 02:26 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Thanks for the follow up! Hopefully everything is perfect for you now.
Old 01-16-19, 03:20 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDR76
Thanks for the follow up! Hopefully everything is perfect for you now.
thanks bro I appreciate it. I just need for it to be good for at least the rest of the year lol
Old 10-18-19, 05:02 PM
kellygrl09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPB malfunction

[QUOTE=Chavez562;10393778]
mine just did the same exact thing!! It was fine until i turned the car on and same exact thing
Old 10-19-19, 07:08 AM
Chavez562
Intermediate

[QUOTE=kellygrl09;10638953]
Originally Posted by Chavez562

mine just did the same exact thing!! It was fine until i turned the car on and same exact thing
agh that’s annoying! Mine kept going off. At first they thought it was something to do with the lowering springs and then they ruled it out after like 3 attempts to fix it. The service manager ended up telling me mine was just faulty and replaced the entire component. Hope yours doesn’t give you as much of a headache as mine did. Best of luck! :/
Old 01-23-22, 11:48 AM
Albusaidi
Driver School Candidate

everything’s under warranty, so it’ll be fixed but I am curious to know what the hell happened. Never had an issue with it...so we’ll soon find out, I’ll keep you guys posted...I’ll find out if there’s an alert native fix to it as well in the event that this because an issue for others...and they can’t get to a dealer.
Hi friend
I have same message and I can't solve it, do you solved?
Old 01-23-22, 01:24 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Albusaidi
Hi friend
I have same message and I can't solve it, do you solved?
hey what up! So, it was a faulty component. It was under warranty so they fixed it. At first I thought it was something I did because I had it lowered on 22’s. The dealership confirmed that it was a component and nothing I did. They had it fixed in 2 days. 1 day to order the part and 1 day to install. Hope I answered your question. I no longer have my Lexus as I went a different route after the lease was up. If you need any more clarification, don’t hesitate in asking. Best of luck though!!
Old 01-23-22, 08:33 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

hey what up! So, it was a faulty component. It was under warranty so they fixed it. At first I thought it was something I did because I had it lowered on 22’s. The dealership confirmed that it was a component and nothing I did. They had it fixed in 2 days. 1 day to order the part and 1 day to install. Hope I answered your question. I no longer have my Lexus as I went a different route after the lease was up. If you need any more clarification, don’t hesitate in asking. Best of luck though!!
Blaming the lowering springs is a bogus answer. He made that up and pulled it out of his gluteus maximus. It has no effect on the parking brake. It should only affect the regular brakes with the level position sensor that tells how loaded the car is and nothing else. It would potentially cause the ABS to apply too much rear brake, thinking you had a heavy load.

The parking brake is electronically actuated by cables that expand small drum shoes inside the disc rotor. The two systems operate independently of each other.
The following users liked this post:
Nyhof1 (02-18-22)
Old 01-25-22, 09:00 AM
pd7702
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Just curious, is there a way to manually disengage the electronic parking brake if the control module fails?

Hopefully the system defaults to disengaged in case of failure.
Old 01-25-22, 09:35 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by pd7702
Just curious, is there a way to manually disengage the electronic parking brake if the control module fails?

Hopefully the system defaults to disengaged in case of failure.
Yes, there is a manual process that you do through the trunk floor. There's a step by step in your manual on how to do it.
The following users liked this post:
pd7702 (01-25-22)
Old 06-28-22, 07:33 PM
anudari
1st Gear

Soooo I spoke to Lexus today and they told me that it has happened before and it’s an internal component that is electrical (given in the name as if I didn’t know that) and it must be ordered and fixed by Lexus. I asked if there was anything I could have done to prevent it and they said no. Hit or miss situation. Wasn’t thrilled with the answer. But it’s not anything we could do ourselves. I’ll get my car back at the end of next week 🤕 I forgot to ask what the cost would be if I wasn’t in a warranty but I’ll find that out for you guys on Monday.
Hi there,

Thanks for walking us through your issue, much appreciated! The same thing has happened to my 2016 NX200t, which makes me feel like there are a lot of faulty components out there ugh this should be recalled or something. Did you happen to find out what the cost would’ve been without the warranty? Mine no longer has a warranty so I am worried about the cost of this repair.

Thank you!
Old 06-28-22, 07:50 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Originally Posted by anudari
Hi there,

Thanks for walking us through your issue, much appreciated! The same thing has happened to my 2016 NX200t, which makes me feel like there are a lot of faulty components out there ugh this should be recalled or something. Did you happen to find out what the cost would’ve been without the warranty? Mine no longer has a warranty so I am worried about the cost of this repair.

Thank you!
hey bro!
honestly, it’s been so long that I forgot. My apologies. I no longer have my Lexus. I switched the style up. I do wish you the best and hope that your Lexus gets the fixing that it needs man. Take care!
Old 06-29-22, 08:25 AM
douplas
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm having the same issue and fear the the whole parking brake actuator system is going bad. And right now I'm not wanting to spend two grand to get the situation fixed.
Old 06-29-22, 12:27 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by douplas
I'm having the same issue and fear the the whole parking brake actuator system is going bad. And right now I'm not wanting to spend two grand to get the situation fixed.
Did you keep the brake on Auto all the time, or not kept on?

Quick Reply: Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction