GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bluetooth track/artist/album info not displaying (Spotify on Google Pixel 2) [FIXED]

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 03:05 PM
raggedtoad
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth track/artist/album info not displaying (Spotify on Google Pixel 2) [FIXED]

I wanted to post this here in case someone else is searching for it. It probably applies to more models than just the 4th gen GS, but that's what I had issues with, so I'm posting here.

A number of weeks ago (Nov. 2018) I noticed that artist/track/album metadata was no longer appearing when I was playing music through Spotify from my Pixel 2. I tested with Google Music and the metadata did show up, so right off the bat I thought it might be caused by a recent Spotify app update. Regardless, the solution was not something specific to Spotify, so my guess it that it could affect other apps as well.

The solution that finally worked for me was fairly involved, so I hope I can save someone else time down the road because there were some other suggestions that did not work. Here are the steps to get Bluetooth song info showing up properly again:

1. On your Pixel 2, go to Settings -> System -> About Phone.
2. Scroll all the way down until you see "Build number" at the bottom. Start tapping it repeatedly until you enable developer mode. (yes, this is actually how you do it, and it has been something similar to this for years)
3. Go back one screen to the System screen and expand the "Advanced" section.
4. Click on Developer Options and then scroll down until you see an option called "Bluetooth AVRCP Version" (stands for "Audio/Video Remote Control Profile").
5. For me, the default was AVRCP 1.4. I changed it to the only older one on the list which was AVRCP 1.3
6. Restart phone (and turn car off and on again if you're in your car). Bravo, song info from Spotify should work again.

Feel free to respond to this with a note if it helped you or if I missed a step so I can update this post!
Old 12-12-18, 04:47 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Switching to 1.6 should work too. At least that's the direction I went to resolve the metadata issue.
The following users liked this post:
raggedtoad (12-12-18)
Old 09-25-19, 07:16 PM
PatLexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raggedtoad
I wanted to post this here in case someone else is searching for it. It probably applies to more models than just the 4th gen GS, but that's what I had issues with, so I'm posting here.

A number of weeks ago (Nov. 2018) I noticed that artist/track/album metadata was no longer appearing when I was playing music through Spotify from my Pixel 2. I tested with Google Music and the metadata did show up, so right off the bat I thought it might be caused by a recent Spotify app update. Regardless, the solution was not something specific to Spotify, so my guess it that it could affect other apps as well.

The solution that finally worked for me was fairly involved, so I hope I can save someone else time down the road because there were some other suggestions that did not work. Here are the steps to get Bluetooth song info showing up properly again:

1. On your Pixel 2, go to Settings -> System -> About Phone.
2. Scroll all the way down until you see "Build number" at the bottom. Start tapping it repeatedly until you enable developer mode. (yes, this is actually how you do it, and it has been something similar to this for years)
3. Go back one screen to the System screen and expand the "Advanced" section.
4. Click on Developer Options and then scroll down until you see an option called "Bluetooth AVRCP Version" (stands for "Audio/Video Remote Control Profile").
5. For me, the default was AVRCP 1.4. I changed it to the only older one on the list which was AVRCP 1.3
6. Restart phone (and turn car off and on again if you're in your car). Bravo, song info from Spotify should work again.

Feel free to respond to this with a note if it helped you or if I missed a step so I can update this post!
Thank you! I've searched the entire web to find your solution you're a god. It worked for my 15' GS350
Old 09-25-19, 07:17 PM
PatLexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronoR
Switching to 1.6 should work too. At least that's the direction I went to resolve the metadata issue.
Didn't work until I did 1.3 on my pixel 2xl
Old 11-10-19, 01:57 PM
chasep
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Awesome. This worked on my 2013 GSh with a Pixel 3XL.
Old 11-13-19, 08:17 AM
mrplesh
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Worked for me as well. Pixel 4XL, 2013 GS 350 Lux. 1.3 did the trick, I tried 1.6 with no luck