2015 GS-350 F-Sport with ML Underwhelming

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 12:21 PM
pmangolfin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 GS-350 F-Sport with ML Underwhelming

What's going on guys!

Just got myself a 4th Gen GS with the Mark Levinson Audio package and I'm quite underwhelmed. Even my old 06 Maxima's Bose system was better. I'm coming from an F10 with a base package and it blew this thing out of the water. I absolutely love everything else about the car but I'm looking to swap out the audio so I was looking for suggestions or things that may have worked for you all who may have done similarly.

I'm willing to spend some bank but obviously if there are any non-bank-breaking alternatives, I'd love your suggestions! I already have a JL 500 mono amp that I'm going to install with a 12 inch ported sub, but I was looking to see if there was anything I could do about the Highs and Mids to make it sound better. I've perused through the forum looking for advice but haven't made any ground.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (09-02-20)
Old 12-11-18, 12:24 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Step one is to turn off surround sound, if you haven't already.
Old 12-11-18, 03:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I tried the ML in a GS350 equipped with it and I was not very impressed either, after listening to it and comparing it to a non ML it was not any kind of priority if a GS had it, the non ML has the capability to play DVD's too so it did not matter to me. ML sounds much better in a LS compared to a non ML LS though. I don't think you will notice much of a difference especially if you mainly listen to the radio/satellite.
Old 12-11-18, 05:13 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I’m very happy with the ML in my GS and I’d pay for it all over again. My 2014 IS had the base system and I really regretted not getting ML in that.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
ECL (12-15-18), signdetres (12-11-18)
Old 12-11-18, 07:11 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

I prefer a more dynamic sound and find the ML to be weak with the bass. However, the ML is tuned to be closer to an audiophile's liking, reproducing the sound more naturally as intended, with much of the sound staged at the front of the driver.

Check out this thread ML thread
... and these settings:
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (12-11-18)
Old 12-11-18, 07:58 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

I guess it all depends on the type of music you are trying to listen to. If you're doing R&B, rap, or any jams with a lot of bass then yes, this car will have the wrong audio system for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by azipod:
jonathancl (12-12-18), MOB561 (07-08-20)
Old 12-11-18, 08:11 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
I guess it all depends on the type of music you are trying to listen to. If you're doing R&B, rap, or any jams with a lot of bass then yes, this car will have the wrong audio system for you.
I listen to EDM, DNB, some rap and hip hop with mine and it's fine... I wish there was a sub level control but that's all I can really ***** about.

This thing helped... a LOT.... Occasionally they go on sale for $140. My iPhone 7 sounds like hot garbage compared to this....

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-NW-A45-Walkman-Hi-Res-Grayish/dp/B0765ZVM6Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544587786&sr=8-3&keywords=nw-a45 https://www.amazon.com/Sony-NW-A45-Walkman-Hi-Res-Grayish/dp/B0765ZVM6Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544587786&sr=8-3&keywords=nw-a45

Old 12-11-18, 09:53 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Install a DSP it will solve the issue and you may not need additional subs. I have a JBL MS8 installed, it gives me complete control over the factory sub which hits harder than you would think. A DSP will also address bass roll off and allow you to utilize the full potential of the cars speakers. Many months later I ended up adding two 12's from a previous setup but that's because I've added sub's to every car I've owned. Most people will happy with a MS8 since you have control of the factory sub, if not its very easy to add subs at a later date.

Old 12-12-18, 10:28 AM
pmangolfin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chinee
I prefer a more dynamic sound and find the ML to be weak with the bass. However, the ML is tuned to be closer to an audiophile's liking, reproducing the sound more naturally as intended, with much of the sound staged at the front of the driver.

Check out this thread ML thread
... and these settings:
Thanks for the info everyone!

Yup. I have these settings now and it only makes it bearable. I agree that the ML system beats out most stock systems, but even the mids and highs are nothing compared to what was originally in my BMW. Even the ML system in my brother's LS sounds better. I'm not trying to knock anyone's opinion on the system or act all high and mighty, but I work as a concert photographer and I cant bring myself to agree with the statement that the ML system in this car is meant for audiophiles who don't focus on bass. Not even classical, vocal, or choral music sounds good in my opinion. I think the issue here is that the ML package probably has great sound processing, but uses crappy speakers.

I'm going to try replacing the two front door speakers and adding a 12 inch JL Ported sub and seeing how that sounds. Only issue is that my sound guy showed me two sets of speakers that cost over $700 which I think is unnecessary. Any good 6.5 inch speakers you guys recommend? I don't MIND spending the money if its the best option but I'm fairly confident there are much cheaper quality options considering the ones Crutchfield recommends are $40 and have amazing reviews.
Old 12-15-18, 04:03 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pmangolfin

Yup. I have these settings now and it only makes it bearable. I agree that the ML system beats out most stock systems, but even the mids and highs are nothing compared to what was originally in my BMW. Even the ML system in my brother's LS sounds better. I'm not trying to knock anyone's opinion on the system or act all high and mighty, but I work as a concert photographer and I cant bring myself to agree with the statement that the ML system in this car is meant for audiophiles who don't focus on bass. Not even classical, vocal, or choral music sounds good in my opinion. I think the issue here is that the ML package probably has great sound processing, but uses crappy speakers.

I'm going to try replacing the two front door speakers and adding a 12 inch JL Ported sub and seeing how that sounds. Only issue is that my sound guy showed me two sets of speakers that cost over $700 which I think is unnecessary. Any good 6.5 inch speakers you guys recommend? I don't MIND spending the money if its the best option but I'm fairly confident there are much cheaper quality options considering the ones Crutchfield recommends are $40 and have amazing reviews.
I'm gonna get around to doing this too. Had a BMW f10 with non Harmon kardon but still upgraded "premiun" stereo. The dual subs under front seats were the shiznit compared to the m/l.

The stock m/l does sound like it's badly eq'ed
Old 12-15-18, 07:08 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by pmangolfin

Im sure one of the options by Morrel, Hertz and Focal would be a great option. They all offer something under $700. I personally like the Polk MMs I had in my Yukon Denali. Very clear and can handle lots of power. Some reviewers say the highs are bright(I like).