GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Install of FSport StopTech Slotted Rotors and Akebono Ceramic Pads *With Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 11:03 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Nice post, but thought i'd share some tips.

I've covered this in the IS sub section but installing ceramic pads in place of the stock F Sport german made high friction pads is a downgrade in terms of performance. Just as long as everyone is aware of that and is fine with that. If Lexus could retain the same performance while reducing dust (as well as every manufacturer for that matter), they would've done so already. Dirty loud screechy brakes has been a hallmark of performance cars for decades.

Porsche, BMW, AMG, Ferrari, etc. all experience the same dust and wear.

There are no free rides. No free lunches.

No real performance benefit as well to install vented rotors on a less performing pad. So you are decreasing your friction and reducing the swept surface area on the rotor effectively reducing your brake size. double downgrade. Again as long as people are aware of that and are fine with it. Yes it will reduce your dust but there is a penalty to pay, as with most things in life. That penalty is cold bite, fade, heat management and overall stopping ability.

It'll stop fine, just not as good as stock (F Sport) pads.

Old 12-12-18, 06:32 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

6500 miles on my 18. Installed ceramic pads on mine from new on the 2 piece rotors. No issues whatsoever so far.
Old 12-12-18, 08:40 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 442 Likes on 310 Posts

I would be curious what the actual stopping distances between the stock F Sport pads and the Akebono pads.
Fade kick in, etc.
Of course, the same car should be used, as tires actually stop the car, not the brake system.
I would find this very interesting and helpful, especially because I believe my car has been converted to the non-F Sport front brakes by the dealership.
I have not had a wheel off to get a good look.
The braking in my car is very good. And there are a lotta crazy drivers in Silicon Valley...
Thanks for all the great information.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 12-12-18 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-12-18, 10:52 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

I have yet to install the same rotors on my GS. Can you remind what torque you used on the brake caliper mounting bolts?
Old 12-12-18, 12:52 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Nice post, but thought i'd share some tips.

I've covered this in the IS sub section but installing ceramic pads in place of the stock F Sport german made high friction pads is a downgrade in terms of performance. Just as long as everyone is aware of that and is fine with that. If Lexus could retain the same performance while reducing dust (as well as every manufacturer for that matter), they would've done so already. Dirty loud screechy brakes has been a hallmark of performance cars for decades.

Porsche, BMW, AMG, Ferrari, etc. all experience the same dust and wear.

There are no free rides. No free lunches.

No real performance benefit as well to install vented rotors on a less performing pad. So you are decreasing your friction and reducing the swept surface area on the rotor effectively reducing your brake size. double downgrade. Again as long as people are aware of that and are fine with it. Yes it will reduce your dust but there is a penalty to pay, as with most things in life. That penalty is cold bite, fade, heat management and overall stopping ability.

It'll stop fine, just not as good as stock (F Sport) pads.
I won't go to say you're wrong, but have you done or seen any controlled test on a IS/GS, under the same conditions, that proves all of the negative claims you made or are you perhaps generalizing a bit too much? There are many brake pad manufacturers out there, and a ceramic pad or even semi-metallic pads from different manufacturers could perform vastly different because the chemistry of the pad material can vary. Yes, some of the characteristics you mentioned may be true, but I would not make such a blanket statement to claim that it is inferior in ALL aspects compared to stock pad just because it generates less dust(which is just another characteristic).

I think a common misconception of "less dust" from ceramic pads makes some believe that because the pad material is wearing less, it must mean the braking performance is reduced(softer materials are usually associated with having higher coefficient of friction). In fact, they could be generating just the same amount of dust, but the wear materials on the ceramic pad may simply not adhere as easily to the wheels as semi-metallic wear materials - again, this goes back to chemistry.
Old 12-18-18, 11:00 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Well I have insane squeal now. Trying to figure out what steps to take to reduce the squeal. I remember having the same squeal a little after putting Akebono pads on the stock two piece rotor. Forgot what I did to help reduce/fix that issue.
Old 12-18-18, 06:22 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

I guess aftermarket rotor and pads wont stop that squeal noise huh? LOL
Old 12-20-18, 05:51 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Well I got rid of the squeal easy. Just bedded the pads the fast way and squeal is gone. Braking feels good. Brakes seem to bite a little harder that stock rotors with Akebono pads
Old 04-08-19, 09:06 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Well I got rid of the squeal easy. Just bedded the pads the fast way and squeal is gone. Braking feels good. Brakes seem to bite a little harder that stock rotors with Akebono pads
Sorry to bring up old thread. Do you mind sharing how you bedded your ceramic pads?
I just installed StopTech rotors and Centric 105 Ceramic pads, the squealing is insane, very loud. I put some grease on back of pads and did some 40-10mph runs to bed them in, but squeals is still persistent. Just ordered some Akebono pads, hope those are quieter.
Old 04-08-19, 06:13 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

So can I install this on my non f sport awd version??
Old 04-09-19, 11:55 AM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Sorry to bring up old thread. Do you mind sharing how you bedded your ceramic pads?
I just installed StopTech rotors and Centric 105 Ceramic pads, the squealing is insane, very loud. I put some grease on back of pads and did some 40-10mph runs to bed them in, but squeals is still persistent. Just ordered some Akebono pads, hope those are quieter.
jdpdata as far as I'm aware. akibono says you don't have to bed their pads. Just drive it like normal (although that's subjective)
Old 04-09-19, 12:00 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by TAURUSSLVR
jdpdata as far as I'm aware. akibono says you don't have to bed their pads. Just drive it like normal (although that's subjective)
I contacted the seller, this is what they advised me to do. Already did all this still squealing like crazy.

Ideally according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards FMVSS 105 and FMVSS 135. It indicates 200 stops to completely bed in brakes, but here is an initial bedding procedure. Make approximately 20 “Complete Stops” from 30-mph - OR – 20 “Slow-Downs” from 50-mph to 20-mph with light to moderate pedal pressure NO PANIC STOPS Allow at least 30 seconds between brake applications for the brake pads or shoes to cool down It is critical to follow cool down procedures to avoid damaging NAO, Ceramic and Semi-Met friction material as well as the rotor/drum No high speed stops and/or braking under heavy loads before 200 stops that could result in glazed or otherwise damaged linings
Old 04-09-19, 12:20 PM
TAURUSSLVR
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jdpdata
I contacted the seller, this is what they advised me to do. Already did all this still squealing like crazy.

Ideally according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards FMVSS 105 and FMVSS 135. It indicates 200 stops to completely bed in brakes, but here is an initial bedding procedure. Make approximately 20 “Complete Stops” from 30-mph - OR – 20 “Slow-Downs” from 50-mph to 20-mph with light to moderate pedal pressure NO PANIC STOPS Allow at least 30 seconds between brake applications for the brake pads or shoes to cool down It is critical to follow cool down procedures to avoid damaging NAO, Ceramic and Semi-Met friction material as well as the rotor/drum No high speed stops and/or braking under heavy loads before 200 stops that could result in glazed or otherwise damaged linings
When I had my BMW E46 I remember that this was a big issue. This is what we got straight from Akebono. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...f-Akebono-pads

Thank you for your inquiry and for choosing Akebono Euro brake pads for your BMW. On the question of bedding procedures: We do not believe any special care needs be taken after the pads are installed especially if your rotors are new OE quality, or the existing good condition rotors are used at the time of new pad installation, as long as the rotors have not been resurfaced with a brake lathe. Akebono pads are fully cured during the manufacturing process and there are no "green" resins or binders at the surface as you might expect with other aftermarket friction materials. Our manufacturing process is unique and not shared by other aftermarket manufacturers.

If your rotors were resurfaced it is possible that the finish is now outside of OE specification for smoothness (Ra 15-30 microns) and you may not realize the full bite potential of the Euro pads until that smoothness has a chance to re-form and a friction transfer layer has occurred. The transfer layer usually appears as a blackish finish on the rotor surfaces, and should be very polished in appearance. This event will feel like a bedding procedure but in fact it is rotor burnishing procedure. There is no particular Akebono recommended procedure required and it will happen naturally, if you will.

I hope I have been able to address your concern. Please feel free to ask for more information should you need it.

Sincerely,

Robin Gedye
Sr. Product Manager, Aftermarket Div.
Akebono Brake Company - U.S.H.Q.
310 Ring Road
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
Tel: (270) 234-5547 Cell: (859) 805 1849
www.showmetheparts.com/akebono/

It does specifically list the Euro pads but I'm not sure that the Lexus one's would be that much different.
The following users liked this post:
jdpdata (04-09-19)