GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking To Jump From Infiniti To Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 09:28 AM
funkizm
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Another convert here. Had a 08 G35X sedan as well as a 12 M37X. Better transmission. Believe me there are issues with the infotainment in most of the Infiniti vehicles too even with the touch panel. The Lexus system is not that bad. Better fit and finish. I agree about the exhaust note. The GS overall has been a better vehicle for me.
Old 12-11-18, 02:14 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm coming from an Infiniti M37 and the tranny was junk the M37 and the G37 are much faster than my 2016 GS
Old 12-11-18, 03:41 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
I'm coming from an Infiniti M37 and the tranny was junk the M37 and the G37 are much faster than my 2016 GS
How much faster is 'much faster'?
Old 12-11-18, 03:57 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

I had a 2015 G37 and it had 330 HP the GS has 311 I'm not say the GS is slow at all but its not faster
Old 12-11-18, 04:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
I had a 2015 G37 and it had 330 HP the GS has 311 I'm not say the GS is slow at all but its not faster
Ah, so you went from the Infiniti being 'much faster' to the GS being 'not faster'! I'd say they are very comparable. In fact, throw a fat boy behind the wheel of the Infiniti along with the Owners Manual in the glove box and an extra 5 gallons of gasoline and the GS easily crosses the line first!

Old 12-11-18, 04:27 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

I meant to say G37 and I drove the car for two years One it has more HP and it's lighter. so you can say what you want I'm just going by experience.
Old 12-11-18, 05:08 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

In my experience, the Infiniti 3.7 (my point of reference was my 2015 Q50S) has more torque and is quicker off the line than the GS but at higher speeds, the GS would easily walk. The 3.7 didn't pull very hard at higher RPMs or past ~70. Also, the Infiniti acceleration experience is significantly less refined and much more "raw" than in the GS which I feel like makes the Infiniti feel like it's much faster than the GS when it's actually pretty similar. The GS is so fun to rev out. It loves it & it pulls so hard when you do, especially at higher speeds, like 80+. The GS is so much more refined from NVH that it masks how quickly you're accelerating and how quickly you're cruising.

Another area is the tires... My GS has 265s in the rear whereas my Q50S had 245s so floor it from a stop and the Q50S will struggle to put the power down whereas the GS just goes in a much more drama-free way, which again, makes the Infiniti feel like you're dealing with much more power.

The transmission is significantly better in the GS too and definitely held the Infiniti back. While power and weight numbers are important, there are so many other factors that play into a vehicle's acceleration time & feel, especially when you're comparing two vehicles that are as close as they are in power & weight. Don't get me started on steering & handling though. No comparison, IMO. In Sport S+, the GS would out-handle the Q50S all day. I had DAS in my Q50S and loved it. I've driven Q50s (plural, not Sport model) with the standard hydraulic steering and loved it too. But they don't hold a candle to the GS (granted, I'm referencing my RWD GS with Variable Gear Ratio Steering and our other RWD GS that has VGRS in addition to rear-wheel steering).

And while we're talking about speed, what good is speed without the ability to slow down? The GS brakes are so much better than the Infiniti's it's not even funny. The braking in the GS is phenomenal (again, referencing a RWD GS with the larger high performance two-piece rotors & pads) and the adaptive suspension does an awesome job at negating nose-dive. Check out this video of all these various Lexus models emergency braking to a stop (slightly random but proves my point). Look at how little nosedive the GS has compared to literally every other vehicle there. Crazy considering we're on adjustable dampers and not on a crazy advanced system like Mercedes' hydraulic Active/Magic Body Control, etc.

Last edited by signdetres; 12-11-18 at 05:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (12-11-18)
Old 12-11-18, 06:58 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
In my experience, the Infiniti 3.7 (my point of reference was my 2015 Q50S) has more torque and is quicker off the line than the GS but at higher speeds, the GS would easily walk. The 3.7 didn't pull very hard at higher RPMs or past ~70. Also, the Infiniti acceleration experience is significantly less refined and much more "raw" than in the GS which I feel like makes the Infiniti feel like it's much faster than the GS when it's actually pretty similar. The GS is so fun to rev out. It loves it & it pulls so hard when you do, especially at higher speeds, like 80+. The GS is so much more refined from NVH that it masks how quickly you're accelerating and how quickly you're cruising.

Another area is the tires... My GS has 265s in the rear whereas my Q50S had 245s so floor it from a stop and the Q50S will struggle to put the power down whereas the GS just goes in a much more drama-free way, which again, makes the Infiniti feel like you're dealing with much more power.

The transmission is significantly better in the GS too and definitely held the Infiniti back. While power and weight numbers are important, there are so many other factors that play into a vehicle's acceleration time & feel, especially when you're comparing two vehicles that are as close as they are in power & weight. Don't get me started on steering & handling though. No comparison, IMO. In Sport S+, the GS would out-handle the Q50S all day. I had DAS in my Q50S and loved it. I've driven Q50s (plural, not Sport model) with the standard hydraulic steering and loved it too. But they don't hold a candle to the GS (granted, I'm referencing my RWD GS with Variable Gear Ratio Steering and our other RWD GS that has VGRS in addition to rear-wheel steering).

And while we're talking about speed, what good is speed without the ability to slow down? The GS brakes are so much better than the Infiniti's it's not even funny. The braking in the GS is phenomenal (again, referencing a RWD GS with the larger high performance two-piece rotors & pads) and the adaptive suspension does an awesome job at negating nose-dive. Check out this video of all these various Lexus models emergency braking to a stop (slightly random but proves my point). Look at how little nosedive the GS has compared to literally every other vehicle there. Crazy considering we're on adjustable dampers and not on a crazy advanced system like Mercedes' hydraulic Active/Magic Body Control, etc.

https://youtu.be/6zSnTYE5xbI?t=43
Nice post, interesting write up, interesting video... I like the pedestrian... lol
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (12-11-18)
Old 12-12-18, 12:27 AM
A3OD
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres

https://youtu.be/6zSnTYE5xbI?t=43
That pedestrian at first glance @2:46 I thought was a real suicidal one

Yes the Lexus does and is a more refined vehicle.
Old 12-18-18, 07:43 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I currently drive a 2012 G37x and am also considering a GS.

The G37 is definitely more raw and fun to drive. I’m not a big fan of how the awd operates in snow conditions. The front wheels don’t engage until the rears slip so turning can be an issues.

How does the GS AWD function? Is it full time? How well does it drive in snow?
Old 12-18-18, 08:06 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by ross7777

The G37 is definitely more raw and fun to drive. I’m not a big fan of how the awd operates in snow conditions. The front wheels don’t engage until the rears slip so turning can be an issues.

I really like the GS' AWD system. It defaults to 70 percent rear, 30 percent front, and can vary up to 50/50 as conditions require. So there is always power to the front wheels. I regularly take my GS up to the mountains, so it sees a lot of snow, and I've never had an issue. It performs very well.
Old 12-18-18, 08:36 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ross7777

it handles the snow better than my WRX, and that’s saying a lot.
Old 12-19-18, 08:43 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike552
it handles the snow better than my WRX, and that’s saying a lot.
Surprised to hear that. You sure that's not due to tires?