Passenger side window rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 02:02 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Passenger side window rattle

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests my front passenger side window rattles when driving on bumpy roads. I have a 2015 gs350 F-sport with about 57,000 kms. It is winter now where I live and i just recently switched over to my winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin) not sure if this is relevant but thought i should just add that. I feel as if it rattles more than before when I had my summer tires on. It is intermittent so it doesn't happen all the time but occurs enough to get annoyed. I mentioned it to the dealership before when the car was in for service (an oil change) and they didn't hear anything so they couldn't do anything.

I am curious as to whether other members here have experienced this? Please let me know i plan on mentioning it to the dealership again and pushing for a fix.

Thanks much appreciated
Old 11-21-18, 03:57 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

When the window is down can you move the glass back and forth?
Old 11-22-18, 02:34 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SC300Es
When the window is down can you move the glass back and forth?
Nope glass does not move tried it today. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-24-18, 02:01 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

My passenger side also rattles, if I ever pin it down I'll let you know. My drivers side does too, holding the armrest built into the door stops it rattling - I think it's coming away from the door frame. Ah well, 90000kms isn't new
Old 11-24-18, 02:08 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350lex
Hi everyone,

As the title suggests my front passenger side window rattles when driving on bumpy roads. I have a 2015 gs350 F-sport with about 57,000 kms. It is winter now where I live and i just recently switched over to my winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin) not sure if this is relevant but thought i should just add that. I feel as if it rattles more than before when I had my summer tires on. It is intermittent so it doesn't happen all the time but occurs enough to get annoyed. I mentioned it to the dealership before when the car was in for service (an oil change) and they didn't hear anything so they couldn't do anything.

I am curious as to whether other members here have experienced this? Please let me know i plan on mentioning it to the dealership again and pushing for a fix.

Thanks much appreciated
Originally Posted by Cwang
My passenger side also rattles, if I ever pin it down I'll let you know. My drivers side does too, holding the armrest built into the door stops it rattling - I think it's coming away from the door frame. Ah well, 90000kms isn't new
Sounds like it might be this. It's worth a try.

The following 2 users liked this post by eddie420:
Coolchuck (11-25-18), jasonkaith (11-26-18)
Old 11-25-18, 07:21 AM
Coolchuck
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Yep , that's what I was going to suggest too.
Old 11-26-18, 10:58 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

Appreciate the link, both of you as I may have been barking up the wrong tree! That appears fairly easy to remove from the door and tape up, worth doing regardless.
Old 11-27-18, 09:01 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I just noticed a creaking/clunking noise coming from the passenger side on my way home last night, could not pin point it. Sounded more like glove box but I don't keep anything in the glovebox aside from insurance paper and reg., don't even keep the owners manual in it or a pen. I was like great, this GS is going to creak/clunk too in colder temps like my last one but hopefully it is something simple. I also noticed a slight creak/clunk coming from the rear area when going over bumps and turning the wheel back and forth, I will check the trunk and tighten everything once I pull up the cover but it looks like Lexus did not fix the cold temp creaks and clunks in GS's in 2 generations since I had my 2001 which did the same thing. I did notice a annoying rattle a week after I got the car from the drivers side but luckily that was just the seat belt hitting the side and it just needed to be re adjusted.
Old 11-28-18, 01:20 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eddie420

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mGFSpsloJ4
Although i am almost certain the rattle is coming from the window. It doesn't hurt to give this a try so i will and see what happens. Thanks for your help much appreciated!
Old 11-28-18, 01:22 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cwang
I know but the rattles drive me nuts i guess its my OCD. I sometimes get a tiny little rattle from the vents too which i have read insulating them may fix (dealer has tried yet it continues). Oh well. Other than those minor things i love the car
Old 12-17-18, 04:22 PM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eddie420

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mGFSpsloJ4

Tried it out still rattles thanks anyhow. I have uploaded a video might not be the greatest but you will hear it at the very least. I know some of you have said you experience this as well but i don't know how common this problem is. Either way going to press for warranty to fix it.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
VideoEditor3.wmv (4.93 MB, 172 views)
Old 12-17-18, 05:39 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by gs350lex
Tried it out still rattles thanks anyhow. I have uploaded a video might not be the greatest but you will hear it at the very least. I know some of you have said you experience this as well but i don't know how common this problem is. Either way going to press for warranty to fix it.
That's loud! I think there is someone hiding in your trunk.
Old 12-19-18, 05:55 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you sure the rattle isnt coming from your sunroof? I had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. I searched through the forum and found a thread on others experiencing this same rattle and changing the weather strip around the sunroof. I bought the part for $45, took about 5-10 minutes to change, and wahlaahh...no more rattle. Try driving over bumps with your sunroof tilted up and see if you still hear the rattle. If you dont hear anything, may be worth changing the weather strip on your sunroof.
Old 01-03-19, 09:43 AM
gs350lex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Barkley45
Are you sure the rattle isnt coming from your sunroof? I had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car. I searched through the forum and found a thread on others experiencing this same rattle and changing the weather strip around the sunroof. I bought the part for $45, took about 5-10 minutes to change, and wahlaahh...no more rattle. Try driving over bumps with your sunroof tilted up and see if you still hear the rattle. If you dont hear anything, may be worth changing the weather strip on your sunroof.

So i had Lexus spend some time checking this issue out and they believe it is the sunroof and as such are leaning towards replacing the entire sunroof assembly under warranty. However, since i have a roof wrap on my car they want me to remove that first to see if the noise disappears (which it wont because the noise was there even before the roof wrap that was done like 6 months ago). So we will see what happens I will keep you all updated. I am also getting my vents insulated (due to that rattling as well). I have extended warranty but it won't cover things such as sunroof assembly and vents so I might as well take care of these now. Anything else i should ask Lexus to look at? (my 4 year basic warranty is expiring in 3 weeks).
Old 01-03-19, 11:41 AM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

gs350lex - here's a link to the thread i mentioned earlier; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-the-fix.html
I would seriously consider replacing the weather strip around your sunroof before having the entire unit replaced. It's only $45 and you will not need to remove any bolts. Just tilt your roof, peel the old weatherstrip off, spray some silicon onto the new one and work it back on to the sunroof.

Quick Reply: Passenger side window rattle