GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Changed spark plugs, crazy codes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 04:18 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Changed spark plugs, crazy codes!

It was such a nice day today I decided to change the plugs on my 2013 GS AWD. In general, an easy job. I had to remove several sensor cables and the snorkel tube to get to the various plugs, but no big deal. Yeah, right. Even though I plugged each sensor back in to the proper socket (each appears to fit only its mate) and everything was bolted down as before, I took it for a quick test drive, and I swear it felt smoother and a bit quicker off the line.

A couple of hours later I went out again. The CEL came on and shows several conflicting codes. For example, the camshaft sensor is now throwing a code for mismatching the camshaft, and the timing appears to be both retarded and advanced. Also, the idle is too fast when warm. When I kick it down it stays at around 800 rpm for a few seconds and then goes back up to 1500. Codes include p0018 and p0021 both bank 2. Any ideas, please? AT least a suggestion as to where I can find a diagram depicting the locations of the various sensors? Thanks!
Old 11-19-18, 04:27 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

clear the code, and see which one come up first.
Old 11-19-18, 04:48 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Did you replace with OEM Spark Plugs? All the Lexus plugs are pre-gapped. I always replace with OEM plugs for Japanese cars, they seem to have the best plugs. Also are you sure all the wires are clicked in properly?

Worst case I guess put the ones you took out back in and see if the errors go away. Then buy the oem plugs to replace them, if everything is normal.
Old 11-19-18, 08:03 PM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Re-check you connections and any wire or hoses you disconnected. If you leave even one not plugged in, codes will pop up.
Old 11-19-18, 09:00 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
It was such a nice day today I decided to change the plugs on my 2013 GS AWD. In general, an easy job. I had to remove several sensor cables and the snorkel tube to get to the various plugs, but no big deal. Yeah, right. Even though I plugged each sensor back in to the proper socket (each appears to fit only its mate) and everything was bolted down as before, I took it for a quick test drive, and I swear it felt smoother and a bit quicker off the line.

A couple of hours later I went out again. The CEL came on and shows several conflicting codes. For example, the camshaft sensor is now throwing a code for mismatching the camshaft, and the timing appears to be both retarded and advanced. Also, the idle is too fast when warm. When I kick it down it stays at around 800 rpm for a few seconds and then goes back up to 1500. Codes include p0018 and p0021 both bank 2. Any ideas, please? AT least a suggestion as to where I can find a diagram depicting the locations of the various sensors? Thanks!
Just undo what you did, if all you did was the spark plugs clearly you did not do the job correct. Hopefully no real damage has been done, like dropping something into the block or getting grease were it shouldn't be. Seems like your timing or camshaft is all out of wack now. I doubt it's the sensors, since you didn't touch them
Old 11-20-18, 06:24 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Check the harnesses you touched or worked around when replacing the plugs, it's gotta be a loose connector.

Bank 2 is the driver's side, so focus on that side.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (11-20-18)
Old 11-20-18, 02:39 PM
tank3176
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I literally just change the plugs today also. if you disconnected a bunch of sensors make sure they are all connected properly. You should hear a click when the connector engages. I Know on the driver side there was a connector towards the front of the motor coming off the grey wiring harness in front of the coil packs. That may be your cam sensor, Id check that connector first given the codes your getting. if you yanked on it hard you could of bent a pin or damaged the connector. If the car was running fine and then started throwing codes I am willing to bet its an easy fix.
Old 11-20-18, 08:11 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tank3176
I literally just change the plugs today also. if you disconnected a bunch of sensors make sure they are all connected properly. You should hear a click when the connector engages. I Know on the driver side there was a connector towards the front of the motor coming off the grey wiring harness in front of the coil packs. That may be your cam sensor, Id check that connector first given the codes your getting. if you yanked on it hard you could of bent a pin or damaged the connector. If the car was running fine and then started throwing codes I am willing to bet its an easy fix.
This. Sounds like a loose wire on a Cam sensor - sometimes called a CPS
Old 11-20-18, 08:21 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

bank2 near the intake side, . bank 2 exhaust side this one near the oil cap
i think Toyota called cam sensor vvt sensor if so theres 2 bank2 sensor. so look for those two connector for loose connection or broken wire. both of them is near the spark plug u might unplug it when u taking out the spark plug
Old 11-22-18, 06:30 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

I decided to take it to Lexus, since I thought might have broken a wire. As it turns out, I did nothing wrong. It was a crank sensor, on the top of the engine. Easy to see, but the hold-down bolt is partially covered by the intake manifold, which has to be removed to get any type of wrench on it - 3 hours book labor, plus $177 for the part (let's not forgot the bogus "shop supplies" theft - uh, I mean charge). Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (11-23-18)
Old 11-22-18, 06:41 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
I decided to take it to Lexus, since I thought might have broken a wire. As it turns out, I did nothing wrong. It was a crank sensor, on the top of the engine. Easy to see, but the hold-down bolt is partially covered by the intake manifold, which has to be removed to get any type of wrench on it - 3 hours book labor, plus $177 for the part (let's not forgot the bogus "shop supplies" theft - uh, I mean charge). Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
That sounds kind of random to fail when you changed the spark plugs. 3 hours of labor, probably more like 45 minutes of actual work. At least you got it fixed.
Old 11-22-18, 06:56 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

It was a total coincidence. I test-drove the car for 10 minutes after I changed the plugs and it was fine. A couple hours later, when I next drove it, the CEL came on. The dealer was also surprised that it happened the way it did, but they checked everything and all is good. The service writer said that the job should take less than 3 hours, but he had to charge "book" time, 3 hours. He did discount the labor rate, or it would have been $800 instead of $550. I was reluctant to do it myself because it's cold here now (my hands don't work so well in cold anymore), and I really thought I messed up a cable. Damn engineers design cars but don't work on them. If the manifold cleared the bolt by just 1/2 an inch more, it would have taken about 90 seconds for me to swap the sensor.

Since Lexus had the car (and I had a free loaner), I just let them do it. Bugs me that I didn't stick with it, cause I usually do, but sometimes it just works out that way...
Old 11-22-18, 07:34 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 440 Likes on 309 Posts

All good. This stuff happens. Enjoy your beautiful (code free!) car.