GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I introduce to you Hontō no kuro

Old 10-19-18, 09:48 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts
Default I introduce to you Hontō no kuro

Good evening everyone, Hontō no kuro (In Japanese) translates to "True Black" in English.

I finally did it and hopefully there's no looking back. Coming from nothing but BMW's this was a risky and unknown world to me but a well thought out and researched jump into the Lexus brand. I purchased an off lease pristine condition 2015 GS 350 F-Sport in Obsidian color and very excited to what this Lexus will bring to my driving experience for the foreseeable future. This GS will be my new daily driver so will certainly make final judgment of the overall vehicle experience and brand reputation over the next years. I will post more photos of my hot Japanese girl but wanted to introduce myself and looking forward to the knowledge sharing, posts and comments. In the meantime, below is a quick summary of my initial impressions both pros and cons, love to hear your thoughts and comments.

Thank you all.

Initial Positive Impressions
* V6 engine; wish it had more power, but it's quick enough and love the sound it produces especially in Sport+ mode.
* Speaking of Sport+, in this mode this makes the car the closest thing to any of my previous and current BMW's I own and that is great.
* The interiors fit/finish and overall materials are excellent and soft touch just about everywhere. Not as driver centric but very good and clean layout.
* Overall great driving dynamics and handling which I wasn't expecting and one of the major factors in my decision to purchase this vehicle.
* Trunk space bigger than I expected, then again I come from BMW's.
* Very comfortable and quiet ride but with very sporty elements which is what I wanted in a sports luxury sedan. Sexy, classy yet sophisticated without standing out.
* Reminded me allot of my 2003 BMW E39 M-Sport. Very understated but balanced, well engineered and amazing V6 engine.

Initial Negative Impressions:
* Coming from BMW's phenomenal and easy to use iDrive system, I feel like I went back 15 years with this Lexus system. In fact it's the worst "infotainment" system I have ever used, period. I almost didn't buy the Lexus for this reason alone. BMW iDrive is 1000000000x better and so ahead of Lexus in this area which I found to be very surprising coming from a such advanced technology company in Japan. The mouse thing cursor thing is just worst invention and way to use this system in my humble opinion.
* Backup camera resolution is terrible compared to my BMW's high HD resolution view, Lexus camera looks like 480p resolution. Is there a way I can upgrade or retrofit this to an HD version?
* No Surround 360 or front cameras? I miss this allot and coming from BMW I didn't think I would miss these cool features but it's one of those features once you have it and then you don't, it's almost a must have.
* I don't know if I have a defective heated steering wheel , but I noticed it only heats the side grip areas? All of my BMW's have full on heat throughout entire steering wheel and get really warm and very consistent heat.
* Stupid hump in the middle of the drivers side. What in the world is this? Luckily it doesn't intrude or get in my way but just looks very odd.
* No soft close doors (nice to have again but not a big deal)
* HUD. I had this in my 5 series too, but I understand these are very difficult to come by and not many opted for this option.
* No Radar Cruise Control, but it's my understanding this was also an option.
* Where is the A/C button?

Overview Specs:
1. 2015 GS350 F-Sport (L/Certified through 2021 plus 3 more years of Lexus Platinum Warranty)
2. Ext: Obsidian Int: Black with white accent stitching
3. Optioned with: FK Package, Blind Spot Monitor w/ Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Power Folding Outside Mirrors, Navigation Package, Power Trunk, Intuitive Park Assist, Accy Pkg, All Weather Matts and Cold Weather Package.
4. AWD
5. No DRS
6. Planned mods: Delete all chrome, audio upgrade, Dual Dash Cams, radar install, dedicated winter wheel set, suspension lowering and probably engine tuning/mods.
7. What other cars were you considering: Audi, Mercedes and BMW.
8. What did this replace or add to: Add to BMW 550i, 325Ci (e46)

Last edited by HontoKuro; 10-19-18 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-20-18, 03:38 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
* No Surround 360 or front cameras? I miss this allot and coming from BMW I didn't think I would miss these cool features but it's one of those features once you have it and then you don't, it's almost a must have.
A $15k Nissan Versa has that since 2014 but even a 2018 Lexus GS does not.
Old 10-21-18, 09:24 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
A $15k Nissan Versa has that since 2014 but even a 2018 Lexus GS does not.
BTW, a $15k Versa also comes with an AC button standard.
Old 10-21-18, 09:37 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Initial Negative Impressions:
* Coming from BMW's phenomenal and easy to use iDrive system, I feel like I went back 15 years with this Lexus system. In fact it's the worst "infotainment" system I have ever used, period. I almost didn't buy the Lexus for this reason alone. BMW iDrive is 1000000000x better and so ahead of Lexus in this area which I found to be very surprising coming from a such advanced technology company in Japan. The mouse thing cursor thing is just worst invention and way to use this system in my humble opinion. Yes, it sucks. No doubt. You can literally write on the BMW ****...write with your finger. Gesture control is awesome.
* Backup camera resolution is terrible compared to my BMW's high HD resolution view, Lexus camera looks like 480p resolution. Is there a way I can upgrade or retrofit this to an HD version? Maybe I will tackle this project since I will be taking apart my trunk soon.
* No Surround 360 or front cameras? I miss this allot and coming from BMW I didn't think I would miss these cool features but it's one of those features once you have it and then you don't, it's almost a must have. Front camera I installed from Beatsonic, works great. No surround feature yet...
* I don't know if I have a defective heated steering wheel , but I noticed it only heats the side grip areas? All of my BMW's have full on heat throughout entire steering wheel and get really warm and very consistent heat. Yeah no idea why they did this but the heating is only on the side grips.
* Stupid hump in the middle of the drivers side. What in the world is this? Luckily it doesn't intrude or get in my way but just looks very odd. Check your seat congrols it can be adjusted.
* No soft close doors (nice to have again but not a big deal) You can install them for a thousand bucks.
* HUD. I had this in my 5 series too, but I understand these are very difficult to come by and not many opted for this option. This can be retrofitted too, a few of us have done it.
* No Radar Cruise Control, but it's my understanding this was also an option. I am doing a retrofit project on this. It is moving slow but making progress.
* Where is the A/C button? You can change the settings to turn the AC on only when you press the circulate/AUTO button. It is in the manual.
see my comments above.
Old 10-21-18, 10:29 AM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

OP... look it from bright side, no need to visit dealer every month for any repairs, just keep changing your oil basically. Cheaper to maintain and keep it running...

Take your time and get used... it's like getting married one more time to a totally different woman!