GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2016+ head unit in 13-15 to get full screen map?

Old 10-19-18, 03:12 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 2016+ head unit in 13-15 to get full screen map?

Hi is it possible to swap a 16+ head unit into a 13-15 GS and get the full screen map? Thanks!
Old 10-19-18, 05:49 PM
2jS160
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by swat1727
Hi is it possible to swap a 16+ head unit into a 13-15 GS and get the full screen map? Thanks!
It's not direct plug and play as the 2015+ radio has different plugs. jonathancl wrote an amazing write up below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...out-there.html

peasodos even attempted to clone the Nav hard drive without any success.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-an-ssd-3.html
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 06:45 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Well...I don't know about 'amazing'. Really, I was just bored that day.
Old 10-20-18, 04:09 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I'm not entirely sure, but I think Russians have figured it out.
http://zatonevkredit.ru/blog/view/59...d5840a4f28e5f1
http://zatonevkredit.ru/blog/view/59...d5840a4f28e606
http://zatonevkredit.ru/blog/view/59...01dd0a4ead77fc

Translated to English:
The translation is not the greatest, but mostly makes sense.

Cut mafon and screen from Restayl

It remains to find the wiring, although my almost fitBut everything is not as simple as we would like. I got the head itself from 17. GS + from him is the mouse in the armrest + screen 12 "(equipment Marklewinson). All these components are closely interconnected, because the mouse controls not the mafon, but the screen. The screen already sends the coordinates pressing the cursor on the head. I think that this is done so that the screen can be replaced with a touch and not change the head itself. It is important that all the components must be of the same generation. For example, this is how the old screen looks (also 12 inches) and a new head:

And here is the old head but the new screen:

Moreover, the mouse stops working. The pointer moves normally, but the buttons do not plow. When you try to change your manipulator to "restaylovy", the same rake will come out, as the mouse is tied to the screen. Well, yes, in my head already 4 guifs now. One on the screen, the second tidy. The remaining two have not yet looked, but perhaps it is for screens in the headrests or chtonit like that. The wheel should also be restaylovy, of course, since the mafon clings to it, and the buttons are resistive. In general, this whole set I have, lacking only the wiring. Here are photos of devices:

New head view from the connectors: [img]http://zatonevkredit.ru/thumbnails/photo_2017-09-15_19-34-49%20(2.jpg / 800)

Old head:

USB unit in the armrest (on my right, new on the left)

He, the view from the side of the connectors (on top of mine, on the bottom of the new (new with guif)!

My mouse:

New mouse:

Last edited by peasodos; 10-20-18 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-20-18, 04:09 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Put the YUSB and aux in the armrest of Restayl

Now through the aux, you can broadcast video, and usb port TWO!You can simultaneously listen to a muzlo from one iphone, and simply charge the second (passenger). The sound quality has not changed, but the quality of life has improved. In addition, AUX has disappeared from the screen, but A / V has appeared, which clearly hints at the possibility of watching video from a phone through the 3.5 connector. Two USB connectors are of course very cool and convenient, as I used to have a fight for the free charging port, and I consider putting the charge into the cigarette lighter as a collective farm.

The difference between pre-restyled and restaylovy ports:

New left

New bottom

The new unit is much more complicated, there are all sorts of things inside.

Wiring diagram for new units:

and old:

Bolt-he doesn't get up, of course. The ES 2017 spit helped, the wiring from this unit was carefully dismantled, the ES chip was unpicked and the wires were signed:

After that, the staff chip was also disassembled and the new wiring was plugged into it. The operation is elementary in the presence of a tool for disassembling connectors. Now two pins are involved in the standard connector, which were empty before.

A new block of connectors is one and a half times longer than the standard one, but it has gotten into a niche normally

Everything works perfectly, Mafon immediately saw the unit, av and usb work fine.
Old 10-20-18, 04:10 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Installed a new multimedia

Now I have a mafon like a new GS \ GSFMultimedia itself is very different from stock. The main thing is that it can be full-screen, but I was always enraged that the square on the right is occupied with some kind of **** Full-screen navigation is a cruel way. The menu in the new multimedia is more organic and the graphics have become just superb quality. Everything is redrawn, everything is smooth, it works smartly, it looks cool. Navigation is now on the card, easy to update. Calculator figures of climate temperature disappeared and they were replaced by beautifully replaced pixel fonts drawn on OLED monitors, symbols. It was not a bolt-on that got up, but close to that. Many what connectors do not fit, I bought the wiring from the new Lexus, to cut out everything you need. Multimedia now also supports the rear monitors and there is a GVIF for the new tidy (there is no sign of it). In general - some advantages.

Dragged wiring and sharpened knives

Mainly interested in the display cable, green. To pushers and plagiarists on a note!

Carefully cut the wire, leaving the braid itself whole, as we still need it. Part of the wiring was taken from ES'17, which was described in the last post.

Result:

I have already noted that multimedia itself is complex. This is a mouse, screen, head. Separately, one thing will not work! The old mouse will not work with the new head (the cursor moves, and the buttons do not work), just like the new mouse with the old head. It is necessary to change everything all at once and there is no need to hope for backward compatibility, since the manufacturer is Panasonic, not denso

Change the mouse:

Pull the wiring, try to include:

Everything is perfect! We collect, we test!
Old 10-20-18, 09:25 AM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow that's some serious customization! Thanks for the info, at least I know it's possible, but I don't think Im skilled enough to attempt it. Thanks!!
Old 10-20-18, 09:58 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Well, it's wonderful to know it can be done, but I couldn't do it with these instructions alone.
Old 10-21-18, 09:05 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Well, it's wonderful to know it can be done, but I couldn't do it with these instructions alone.
Actually I just realized if you wanted to upgrade to the 2015 SD card based nav system it will be much easier than 2016 with full screen maps.
2016 has different aux inputs in the front armrest and different mouse pad nav input buttons.

This green plug is for the navigation display. For some reason they changed the shape of the green plug, but the blue plug that goes into the back on the nav screen is the same.

Right one is 2015 Nav.
The top Black plug is for the 2015+ Navigation antenna. The SD card based navigation has different navigation antenna with updated plug.

The bottom right Gray plug is also an antenna plug that connects to the device(box) below it.

Last edited by peasodos; 10-21-18 at 09:09 AM.