GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

A/C Button?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 11:30 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ChronoR
Did you test it out? Have you actually tried to use it on automatic and tested if you lost mileage? Did you not realize that if the air coming out of the vents is cold you can just turn up the temperature and it'll actually get warm?

I have and it shows that a 2013 GS is more advanced than a 2005 ES. Who would have thought that 8 years and a higher end vehicle would be smarter?

You're not right and you didn't even do the basic tests to see that.
When did I state there was a mileage loss? I never made that claim anywhere in this thread (maybe someone else did?) only that not having the button there was stupid. It's not stupid enough to make me hate the car or anything irrational like that, but it's an annoyance.

-Mike
Old 10-19-18, 12:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

You people that think Lexus should have a hard button to push to turn the compressor On and Off probably haven't noticed a few other things about your modernistic automobile.

Have you noticed that you no longer have to set the choke on the carburetor and pump the gas pedal three times before starting a cold engine? It's done automatically for you!

Have you tried opening a window? You no longer have to muscularly crank on a handle to roll the window up and down.

How about locking and unlocking all your car doors. You don't even have to push down, or pull up, individually on each door lock pin button anymore.

Your windshield wipers even know when to wipe the rain off the glass so you don't have to even raise a finger.

Your seat and steering wheel knows exactly where you like them positioned each and every time you get in the car. Whoa!

Amazing, isn't it! But, some of you still want to control things manually like your parents or grandparents were required to do decades ago.

TIP OF THE WEEK - If you get too cold, push the red button that raises the f^&#*@% cabin temperature.
The following 3 users liked this post by bclexus:
ChronoR (10-19-18), JDR76 (10-19-18), praetor (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 01:52 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Originally Posted by bclexus
You people that think Lexus should have a hard button to push to turn the compressor On and Off probably haven't noticed a few other things about your modernistic automobile.

Have you noticed that you no longer have to set the choke on the carburetor and pump the gas pedal three times before starting a cold engine? It's done automatically for you!

Have you tried opening a window? You no longer have to muscularly crank on a handle to roll the window up and down.

How about locking and unlocking all your car doors. You don't even have to push down, or pull up, individually on each door lock pin button anymore.

Your windshield wipers even know when to wipe the rain off the glass so you don't have to even raise a finger.

Your seat and steering wheel knows exactly where you like them positioned each and every time you get in the car. Whoa!

Amazing, isn't it! But, some of you still want to control things manually like your parents or grandparents were required to do decades ago.
Most of these are false equivalences. Especially given that stuff you mentioned was available like 30+ years ago.

Also with a lot of stuff manual control is not removed. I can have a memory seat but I still have direct access to that control to move that seat. Same thing with the lights or a whole bunch of other things on the car. Or the wipers. Etc. EG- things got automated without removing or hiding the previous function or capability.

Removing the AC button reminds me of an Apple engineer type deal. "Oh you don't need that headphone jack, we'll remove it for you". It just reeks of engineering hubris/arrogance, although I doubt that was the motive. Some competitor (MB?) probably did something similarly stupid and Lexus had to follow along to keep the geegaw syndrome customers pleased. That stuff is basically automotive industry cancer, and thankfully Lexus has often stayed away from it or been conservative about it.

-Mike

Old 10-19-18, 02:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I would love to hear the conversation between you and Lexus design engineers responsible for the car maker's climate control system. I'm sure the engineers would learn a thing or two. We'd see an A/C Button on future Lexus vehicles for sure, right Mike?
Old 10-19-18, 02:21 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

If Lexus removed the AC button, told you that you didn't need it but then sold you an adapter for an AC button, then that is Apple hands down. LOL
The following users liked this post:
ChronoR (10-19-18)
Old 10-19-18, 02:33 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
When did I state there was a mileage loss? I never made that claim anywhere in this thread (maybe someone else did?) only that not having the button there was stupid. It's not stupid enough to make me hate the car or anything irrational like that, but it's an annoyance.

-Mike
Then explain what you think the AC button will do for you? The function of a button should not be itself. You don't turn off the AC for the sake of turning off the AC but instead to achieve a purpose whether it's "save gas", "get heat", "regain horsepower" or "defog the windows".

Being able to turn off the AC for the sake of turning off the AC serves no purpose.
Old 10-19-18, 03:05 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChronoR
Then explain what you think the AC button will do for you? The function of a button should not be itself. You don't turn off the AC for the sake of turning off the AC but instead to achieve a purpose whether it's "save gas", "get heat", "regain horsepower" or "defog the windows".

Being able to turn off the AC for the sake of turning off the AC serves no purpose.
What if I simply don't want it on? What if I want vented air at whatever the current outside temperature is without opening the windows or being forced to define what the temperature is?

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 10-19-18 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-19-18, 03:10 PM
drgrant
Instructor

I would love to hear the conversation between you and Lexus design engineers responsible for the car maker's climate control system. I'm sure the engineers would learn a thing or two. We'd see an A/C Button on future Lexus vehicles for sure, right Mike?
No, they wouldn't "learn" anything, I should have pointed out the absence of this button might not even be the fault of engineers, but rather someone else that told them to get rid of it. That would be a fun conversation to find out the root of that. I would bet that some people opposed it, too, but got overruled. Since this button deletion persists across numerous models. It's an affectation that appears to have been created with the advent of the joystick controlled nav screens, although it might go back further than that.

-Mike
Old 10-19-18, 03:26 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
What if I simply don't want it on? What if I want vented air at whatever the current outside temperature is without opening the windows or being forced to define what the temperature is?

-Mike
It does that a lot of time for me. I live in a temperate area so the outside temperatures are often just right. Not too surprisingly, the car doesn't work hard to refrigerate or heat that air and opts to just give it me.

If for whatever reason I want it to be warmer or colder, then I just press a button (temperature up/down) and amazingly it happens without me having to think about whether some compressor or heating element is turning on!
Old 10-19-18, 11:19 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Funny I just came across this post, NFG here and I literally posted this in my "welcome/intro" post about where was the A/C button.
Old 10-20-18, 01:20 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I am going to try this once more. In order to manually control the compressor from your dashboard, you need to set the "Auto A/C Mode" to off. Then you can use the air recirculating button to control it. Piece of cake. Below is the excerpt from the manual.

Last edited by fuddyduddy; 10-20-18 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-20-18, 05:12 PM
DBCooper71
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

TIP OF THE WEEK - If you get too cold, push the red button that raises the f^&#*@% cabin temperature.
In fact, you can press a single button on the steering wheel one time and TELL it to make it warmer or cooler.
The following users liked this post:
praetor (10-22-18)
Old 10-20-18, 05:15 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DBCooper71
In fact, you can press a single button on the steering wheel one time and TELL it to make it warmer or cooler.
which button is this?
Old 10-20-18, 05:34 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod

which button is this?
Voice command.
Old 10-20-18, 06:32 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DBCooper71
..........................................................Dan Cooper - Is that really you?

Quick Reply: A/C Button?