GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My Lexus Enform for remote start

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 02:40 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My Lexus Enform for remote start

I just got my 2015 gs350 and now I am registered on the Lexus Enform account. I have to pay $16 a month just to get the remote start that turns off the vehicle when I open the doors. I thought it was $8 a month and i was going to probably sign up.

Did others just go with an aftermarket remote start? I just hate using a different key fob, other than factory.
Old 10-11-18, 09:57 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanhigg
I just got my 2015 gs350 and now I am registered on the Lexus Enform account. I have to pay $16 a month just to get the remote start that turns off the vehicle when I open the doors. I thought it was $8 a month and i was going to probably sign up.

Did others just go with an aftermarket remote start? I just hate using a different key fob, other than factory.
There are a thousand threads all over the web on this. This is normal behavior. No aftermarket solution is going to "fix" this. The shutoff is by design.
Old 10-12-18, 06:13 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Mine expires in November on my 18. I might be the oddball here but I've seldom used mine. Of course mine is not a daily driver.
Old 10-12-18, 09:27 AM
PilotX
Driver

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Enform is kick-*** because I forget to lock my car sometimes. Also tattles on the guys doing the supercharger build, they just plugged the battery back in, which means they must be close to the dyno run.
Old 10-13-18, 12:59 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Factory remote start option is ~$300. No monthly fee. Though same door opening limitations.

Edit: Looks like that's only an option for 2013, 2014 models. PT398-00120. It's a shame because it's a wonderful option. My 2015 QX60 has the same feature as part of its Premium Plus package.

Last edited by jonathancl; 10-17-18 at 08:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
VA75067 (11-30-19)
Old 10-13-18, 03:23 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Factory remote start option is ~$300. No monthly fee. Though same door opening limitations.
How come I missed or did not see this when I went to the Enform site? Is that where your getting the flat fee of $300?
Old 10-14-18, 06:57 PM
drake3
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How come I missed or did not see this when I went to the Enform site? Is that where your getting the flat fee of $300?
I think he is talking about the key fob remote start option that should be around $300. That works when you are within RF range of the car, but still cuts the engine when you open the door like all other Toyota/Lexus products. However, the monthly subscription for Enform remote is covering your cellular data usage so you can get your car status, etc. from anywhere you have internet access with your phone.

Quick story, my previous car, a '14 GX, came with RES+ the stuff before "Enform remote". The connection just quit working one day. I did not use it too much and let it go for 6 months. I finally asked the dealer at the next service about it. It took a while to find the TSB, but it was that AT&T, the carrier Lexus used for GPRS or 2G packet data started to phase out the service. The fix was to replace the ECU with a 3G cellular capable unit. I had to reconfigure the account, but it was working fine after the fix. No one at Lexus or the dealer mentioned that the service was going away and I wasted about 6 months of subscription payments to them. However, the ECU was replaced under warranty.
Old 10-14-18, 08:00 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by drake3
I think he is talking about the key fob remote start option that should be around $300. That works when you are within RF range of the car, but still cuts the engine when you open the door like all other Toyota/Lexus products. However, the monthly subscription for Enform remote is covering your cellular data usage so you can get your car status, etc. from anywhere you have internet access with your phone.

Quick story, my previous car, a '14 GX, came with RES+ the stuff before "Enform remote". The connection just quit working one day. I did not use it too much and let it go for 6 months. I finally asked the dealer at the next service about it. It took a while to find the TSB, but it was that AT&T, the carrier Lexus used for GPRS or 2G packet data started to phase out the service. The fix was to replace the ECU with a 3G cellular capable unit. I had to reconfigure the account, but it was working fine after the fix. No one at Lexus or the dealer mentioned that the service was going away and I wasted about 6 months of subscription payments to them. However, the ECU was replaced under warranty.
Uhh I have a 2015 with Enform. I could not do remote start with my keyfob. Then I bought the monthly Enform subscription and was able to remote start via keyfob. I do not think 2015 and above have an option for keyfob remote start without a subscription?
Old 10-15-18, 08:47 AM
drake3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eddie420
Uhh I have a 2015 with Enform. I could not do remote start with my keyfob. Then I bought the monthly Enform subscription and was able to remote start via keyfob. I do not think 2015 and above have an option for keyfob remote start without a subscription?
You are right, I was just extrapolating from my own knowledge and information from the posts above. I don't see a separate key fob remote start option for the new model, nor can I find the $300 flat fee that the other poster is talking about on the Enform site for US owners. Looks like you may have to subscribe to get Lexus remote start capability.

At one time, there were two separate ways, key fob and RES+. RES+ I think required the key fob option or included it. But the fob option was a separate accessory for around $300.
Old 10-15-18, 09:34 AM
jordanhigg
Driver

Originally Posted by drake3
You are right, I was just extrapolating from my own knowledge and information from the posts above. I don't see a separate key fob remote start option for the new model, nor can I find the $300 flat fee that the other poster is talking about on the Enform site for US owners. Looks like you may have to subscribe to get Lexus remote start capability.

At one time, there were two separate ways, key fob and RES+. RES+ I think required the key fob option or included it. But the fob option was a separate accessory for around $300.

So the $300 flat fee doesn't exist anymore?
Old 10-15-18, 09:48 AM
drake3
Driver School Candidate

So the $300 flat fee doesn't exist anymore?
I don't think it is available. Looking at jonathancl's response and his signature, he owned a 2001 model. I am not completely sure, but as I said, one time a fob remote start accessory was available and it was priced around $300 as he stated. Now, the fob remote start accessory is not sold as an option in the current 2019 lineup. I cannot find anything but the subscriptions on the Enform US site. And, I cannot find anything about starting using the keyfob on my 2018 with a cursory search of the manual. Our past Toyota and Lexus models with the fob start option had a tag on the fob when we got the keys from dealer warning you about the fob start function. My 2018 keys did not come with these tags.

If you want Lexus remote start, unless someone in the know chimes up, call the dealer and find out your options.

Old 10-17-18, 11:55 PM
YaMomma
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

For a 2015 you probably don't need a separate key fob, I installed Compustar on my 2014 and can start the car by pushing the lock button 3 times. I wanted the ability to start my car from anywhere so i purchased a drone mobile addon but its only $59 a year or $129 for 3 years. If you don't need the ability to start your car from a cell phone then don't get drone mobile and only use the factory key fob. Granted it has the same limitation's, when you open a door the car shuts off but I don't have any additional key fobs.
Old 10-18-18, 05:07 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Hmmmm.... I have a '17 GS bought in July of '17 and have yet to have the Enform App expire or receive a renewal request. I understand that the '18 came with a years-long subscription, but I was told 1 year at purchase. Maybe I got lucky, because I probably wont pay for it if it does expire.
Old 10-18-18, 08:55 AM
jordanhigg
Driver

Originally Posted by YaMomma
For a 2015 you probably don't need a separate key fob, I installed Compustar on my 2014 and can start the car by pushing the lock button 3 times. I wanted the ability to start my car from anywhere so i purchased a drone mobile addon but its only $59 a year or $129 for 3 years. If you don't need the ability to start your car from a cell phone then don't get drone mobile and only use the factory key fob. Granted it has the same limitation's, when you open a door the car shuts off but I don't have any additional key fobs.
i am not seeing where you buy the compustar and you don’t need an additional key fob. All the ones I saw you are buying an additional key fob.
i just want to start the car from the key fob
Old 10-18-18, 03:42 PM
ghorn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I understand it, the $16 includes safety connect and remote. Is it true that you also get service connect for free?

Quick Reply: My Lexus Enform for remote start