ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020-237/)
-   -   Protesters Beat On Lexus GS 350 in Portland, Oregon (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020/901697-protesters-beat-on-lexus-gs-350-in-portland-oregon.html)

bclexus 10-09-18 07:40 PM

Protesters Beat On Lexus GS 350 in Portland, Oregon

Protesters Bang On Lexus GS 350 in Portland, Oregon

Anybody know the owner of this GS 350? What would you do if your GS 350 was being beat on?

https://katu.com/news/local/driver-p...ntown-portland

eddie420 10-09-18 07:47 PM

Apparently he had pre-collision system off, LOL. :p

Ratchey 10-09-18 08:01 PM

That guy was on the car before he went through the intersection.

peasodos 10-09-18 08:04 PM

That driver is an idiot.

"At the time, the walk sign was on in the crosswalk. In the video, the driver is seen making a right turn into the crosswalk, where the pedestrians had the right of way."

He pushed through the crowd, could have serious injured someone.

https://katu.com/news/local/driver-w...000-in-damages
"March organizers Teressa Raiford says she was at that intersection and tried to get the driver to stop until the protest passed.
"Well, we were just motioning to the driver that, 'Hey, there's a protest and you can't move forward because there's no way' -- like, you know, unless you're trying to hit these people" said Raiford."

UDel 10-09-18 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by peasodos (Post 10329285)
That driver is an idiot.

"At the time, the walk sign was on in the crosswalk. In the video, the driver is seen making a right turn into the crosswalk, where the pedestrians had the right of way."

He pushed through the crowd, could have serious injured someone.

https://katu.com/news/local/driver-w...000-in-damages
"March organizers Teressa Raiford says she was at that intersection and tried to get the driver to stop until the protest passed.
"Well, we were just motioning to the driver that, 'Hey, there's a protest and you can't move forward because there's no way' -- like, you know, unless you're trying to hit these people" said Raiford."

:rolleyes:No, the radical animals creating a dangerous situation, blocking the road, standing in front of/blocking traffic and then chasing him down harassing a old man and his wife, beating on his car with batons, yelling at him, slamming his door on him are the idiots. The rioters are the ones that can hurt someone, they put themselves right in front of traffic where they may be hit so they can create a confrontation. Nobody should be blocking traffic and blocking people from being able to go where they need to go, what if there was a medical issue? Can't believe you would side with them.

It was a rare Luxury GS350 too, felt bad for the poor guy being harassed by those anarchist clowns.

peasodos 10-09-18 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by UDel (Post 10329354)
:rolleyes:No, the radical animals creating a dangerous situation, blocking the road, standing in front of/blocking traffic and then chasing him down harassing a old man and his wife, beating on his car with batons, yelling at him, slamming his door on him are the idiots. The rioters are the ones that can hurt someone, they put themselves right in front of traffic where they may be hit so they can create a confrontation. Nobody should be blocking traffic and blocking people from being able to go where they need to go, what if there was a medical issue? Can't believe you would side with them.

It was a rare Luxury GS350 too, felt bad for the poor guy being harassed by those anarchist clowns.

I'm not saying beating up his car is justified or siding with the protesters, but I would not have instigated a riot like that guy did. Just a bad decision all around.

https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/20...of-protesters/
Portland police are seeking witnesses to a collision at Southwest 4th Avenue and Madison Street on Saturday, in which the driver of a silver Lexus slowly pushed through a crowd of protesters crossing the street.

Video of the incident obtained by WW's news partner KATU-TV shows the car turning right into a crosswalk while the "walk" sign signaled that pedestrians could legally be in the crosswalk. A man dressed in black stops, plants his feet and places his hands on the hood of the Lexus. The driver continues to gently press the gas, slowly moving the man down the street several feet as other people bang on the car's windows.

Protesters were marching against police use of force after Patrick Kimmons, a black man, was shot and killed downtown last month.

Portland police say the driver of the Lexus contacted the bureau and reported his vehicle suffered $3,000 in damage. The video shows protesters hit the exterior and photos show a cracked driver's side window.

Police say they are seeking witness statements from the pedestrians to "learn what occurred from their perspective."

A spokesman for the bureau says officers may forward evidence to the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office without additional witnesses, but having the pedestrians' statements might strengthen a case against the driver prosecutors decide to bring one.

"The information provided by those individuals is important and it would be optimal to provide the information to the MCDA for their review," says spokesman Sgt. Christopher Burley. "It is important to note that the video may leave questions that cannot be answered without a person being present to answer the questions."

UDel 10-09-18 10:42 PM

There is no excuse for standing in the street, intimidating drivers, blocking traffic, then beating on a car, chasing a driver down, swearing at him, slamming his door on him, hitting his car with clubs like a bunch of unhinged animals. It is only a natural reaction when some idiot along with a bunch of other idiots in masks surround your car, start yelling and swearing at you, put their hands on your hood that you want to get the hell out of there and away from them especially if you are older and trying to protect your likely terrified wife.

peasodos 10-09-18 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by UDel (Post 10329378)
There is no excuse for standing in the street, intimidating drivers, blocking traffic, then beating on a car, chasing a driver down, swearing at him, slamming his door on him, hitting his car with clubs like a bunch of unhinged animals. It is only a natural reaction when some idiot along with a bunch of other idiots in masks surround your car, start yelling and swearing at you, put their hands on your hood that you want to get the hell out of there and away from them especially if you are older and trying to protect your likely terrified wife.

All I'm saying is plowing through people(especially protesters) in a crosswalk what had the crosswalk signal and pushing through was a dumb idea on the drivers part.

He escalated the situation when he did this.

I would have waited for people to cross the crosswalk not drive my way though them with my car.

Jtkotze 10-10-18 05:26 AM

I am sorry to say. If that situation was here with the typical protesters we have the driver would have been killed on the spot. No respect for life this side of the pond. I still cant make out why he (the drive) stopped at the red light after the incident. I would have put my hazards on and drove through the red light. He can sight that he was fearing for his life. This is 100% protester's fault. That guy (the pedestrian) wanted an altercation. He got it. The pedestrian definitely started it before the car got to the corner. Was march legal? If it was then why was there no police? If illegal march then the chap was jaywalking...

AJLex19 10-10-18 05:50 AM

I learned very early on that pedestrians have the right of way and its smarter to be a defensive driver - the driver looked to be on offense here and could've definitely hurt someone very badly.

Inch up slowly, put your indicator on, and make the turn. It didn't look like there were that many protesters to let walk by before he could've slowly inched up and could have gotten a slither of space to make the right. Being from NYC, i always laugh when drivers get road rage or drive like maniacs racing their engines to only have to stop suddenly at the red light...Notice that after all that, the driver in this video would have STILL had to stop for that red light after "plowing" through the crowd.

If he planned to stop for the red light after making the turn, why not stop and let the crowd pass, avoid the conflict and drive off with a clear conscience and no damage to his GS?? Just not smart...!

2013FSport 10-10-18 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by UDel (Post 10329378)

Well said ^^^.... Clearly not all readers have been surrounded by people unhinged wanting some form of altercation. Not everyone is going to remain calm as its intimidating as hell and flat out scary.

I will say the driver is lucky that idiot hood ornament didn't catch hold in a pothole and go down. That could have resulted in a very ugly outcome for many!

Lets recap; hood ornament wanted to make a point (first mistake), driver gets scared, wants to get out of that chaos (second mistake).... and now all those protesters turn violent and the whole situation is out of control! Two bad choices and people die!

As for police - a bit of joke here as they have allowed protesters to literally shut down interstate travel and other major thoroughfares and did nothing.

You can be heard without property damage, destruction, mayhem, violence, and threatening innocent people or obstructing traffic!

Knucklebus 10-10-18 07:09 AM

This sort of thing doesn't happen in my neck of the woods. You block a legally allowed road without a police barricade, you are in the wrong. You beat on a man's car without sufficient provocation and you will get shot. A jury of your peers will not convict you either.

mylehigh1 10-10-18 07:23 AM

If they should be protesting anything it's the Cadillac visible at 00:25 to 00:31.
I am highly offended by the owner's multiple microaggressions:

1. Faux Fabric top on a 4 door Sedan
2. Spoiler on a car with a Faux Fabric top
3. A Cream Colored Caddy parked outside of Florida
4. License Plate "PAM-BUD"

bclexus 10-10-18 09:16 AM

In the very first seconds of the video you can see that the protesters were walking toward the Lexus. I strongly suspect the Lexus driver and his passenger were already terrified by the protesters coming their way, with many more further down the street headed their way - so the driver tried to carefully get out of their way by turning right. When you are afraid it's natural to flee, and the driver attempted to do so slowly and carefully. Yes, the crosswalk light was on, but the driver was very careful as he attempted to get out of their way. The protester that wanted to act like a human barricade and block the Lexus actually started the trouble by his aggression, and this caused many of the other protesters to jump-on-the-bandwagon and start banging on his car. In my view it was the protesters that caused the altercation and it was totally unnecessary.

There comes a time when someone fearing for their life will try to escape, and they are well within their right to do whatever is necessary to save their life. It may have been close to that scenario with this elder man and his passenger. The protester that stupidly tried to block the car was lucky he wasn't run over and possibly killed. Watching the video I see how carefully the Lexus driver was trying his best to maneuver out of the protesters way. It's clear the Lexus driver had no malicious intention - unlike some of the protesters. I dare say that if that Lexus driver was your father and mother (or your grandfather and grandmother), who were certainly scared to death, I cannot imagine you would side with the protesters.

UDel 10-10-18 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by peasodos (Post 10329383)
All I'm saying is plowing through people(especially protesters) in a crosswalk what had the crosswalk signal and pushing through was a dumb idea on the drivers part.

He escalated the situation when he did this.

I would have waited for people to cross the crosswalk not drive my way though them with my car.

It was 100% the radical anarchists fault. They purposely create these situations, they look for a confrontation so they can justify themselves attacking someone, many know they are going to do something illegal which is why they wear masks to cover their identity. The crosswalk walk signal is to WALK across the street, not to stop, wave signs, curse at drivers, try to intimidate them, block them, lean on their cars, beat on their cars, sit on their hoods, etc. It is only natural most people will be scared and try to get out of there and a older man will try to get his wife out of that situation, he did not ploy into them either, he just nudged them out of the way. No excuse for what they did, chasing a guy down the street and surrounding him like rabid animals, hitting his car with clubs, swearing at him, slamming his door on him, he likely would have been justified in shooting them considering the threat they posed and causing him to have to flee, chasing him, etc.