GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Power Trunk Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 02:36 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Did a test fitment of the parts today. Here is an overview on how it looks like all connected.

EDIT #4:
Okay, I found the connector. I think the connector on my harness interfaces with the pre-existing wiring in my car. And the car should in theory have the connector that plugs into the opener assembly. That makes sense to me. I guess I'll find out next weekend when I go at this again.
Yes sir, and my 2013 manual has instructions for the install/removal for power trunk. Like the power folding side mirrors, most international 2013's had it, but the USA model doesn't. It appears though our cars have the existing wire for it.

From Justin's link you can see, I circled in red the connector taped/wrapped on the wiring harness:

Also for the trunk lid I think the difference in the wiring harness is just the plug/wiring for the power trunk close switch. I too am trying to source cheap parts and if I figure it out, wire the power trunk lid switch myself. Found a couple cars online in junk yards that might have the power trunk, let's see if I can get the parts for cheap
Old 01-15-19, 06:21 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.carsgadget.com/product-p...r-trigger-auto

@eddie420 @Justin0807
kick sensor to trigger open and close trunk.
it's a universal kit just have to tap trunk open/close button, acc, and 12v.

Last edited by peasodos; 01-24-19 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-26-19, 08:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Got almost all the parts just waiting for the trunk lid wiring harness.

Top left is the kick sensor auto trunk opener.
Bottom left is various nuts, bolts, clips
Top right is power trunk lift motor. Next to that is the power trunk close switch
Bottom right is soft close trunk latch.

The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (01-26-19)
Old 01-26-19, 09:02 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Got almost all the parts just waiting for the trunk lid wiring harness.

Top left is the kick sensor auto trunk opener.
Bottom left is various nuts, bolts, clips
Top right is power trunk lift motor. Next to that is the power trunk close switch
Bottom right is soft close trunk latch.
Thanks for posting, dude! Any chance of taking a picture of the pins on the lift motor connector? This is what mine looks like and I think I may have the wrong one.

Old 01-26-19, 09:10 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

You have the correct pins. Why did you think you have the wrong one?
The plug for the power trunk lift motor is already in our car see my older post. The one you purchased they just cut the harness from the car so it came with the plug/wire in it.

Last edited by peasodos; 01-26-19 at 09:14 PM.
eddie420 (01-26-19)
Old 01-26-19, 09:40 PM
eddie420

You have the correct pins. Why did you think you have the wrong one?
The plug for the power trunk lift motor is already in our car see my older post. The one you purchased they just cut the harness from the car so it came with the plug/wire in it.
Oh, you are right. I don't know, I thought mine may have been different since I bought it from a Japanese auction so it was a different region. Glad to see the pins are the same. Thank you.
Old 01-27-19, 09:53 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, you are right. I don't know, I thought mine may have been different since I bought it from a Japanese auction so it was a different region. Glad to see the pins are the same. Thank you.
No worries man, Lexus always puts a different part number if the Japanese part is actually different. I guess for the power trunk lift motor they decided to keep everything the same.
eddie420 (01-27-19)
Old 01-28-19, 05:29 AM
Olivier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@eddie420 and @peasodos ,
you guys are the best. thank you for detail information on the project. I have 2015 GS350 and looking forward to do this in spring.
@peasodos , as you point out there is a connector ready wired in the trunk, is this mean I don't need to purchase the wiring hardness like Eddie420 mentioned earlier on his post right?
@eddie420 , on your post #39, what is the conclusion on your connectors different ? any mod needed or just straight plug in?
thank you again gentlemen.
Old 01-28-19, 06:54 AM
eddie420

Originally Posted by Olivier
@eddie420 and @peasodos ,
you guys are the best. thank you for detail information on the project. I have 2015 GS350 and looking forward to do this in spring.
@peasodos , as you point out there is a connector ready wired in the trunk, is this mean I don't need to purchase the wiring hardness like Eddie420 mentioned earlier on his post right?
@eddie420 , on your post #39, what is the conclusion on your connectors different ? any mod needed or just straight plug in?
thank you again gentlemen.
Thanks dude, anytime! As peasodos mentioned, the trunk should be prewired but i believe the additional harness is still needed to connect all the parts together. And concerning my post, the connectors are not different, should be plug-and-play.
buHussain (10-05-19)
Old 01-28-19, 07:38 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks dude, anytime! As peasodos mentioned, the trunk should be prewired but i believe the additional harness is still needed to connect all the parts together. And concerning my post, the connectors are not different, should be plug-and-play.
@Olivier
The trunk lift motor is prewired. It connects to an existing plug in the trunk. I actually haven't checked my car to see if it's actually there in the USA model, hopefully it is

You still need the correct wiring harness for the trunk lid itself. This harness has the plugs for the soft close door latch and the button to close the trunk. Your stock one does not have these plugs.

Last edited by peasodos; 01-28-19 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 09:26 AM
Olivier
Driver School Candidate

@Olivier
The trunk lift motor is prewired. It connects to an existing plug in the trunk. I actually haven't checked my car to see if it's actually there in the USA model, hopefully it is

You still need the correct wiring harness for the trunk lid itself. This harness has the plugs for the soft close door latch and the button to close the trunk. Your stock one does not have these plugs.
@eddie420 , thank you so much for verification. I completely forgot about the latch. the wiring hardness still needed for the trunk close push button. got it now.
I checked on ebay and found most parts except the trunk lid wiring hardness. the luggage assembly is $1000. damn... lexus know how to get $$$$.

are you actually from NJ? I am in Branchburg (toward flemington, NJ)

Last edited by Olivier; 01-28-19 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-29-19, 05:04 AM
Olivier
Driver School Candidate

@peasodos where did you buy the trunk lid wiring hardness? what are those nuts and clips part for?
Old 01-29-19, 08:24 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Olivier
@peasodos where did you buy the trunk lid wiring hardness? what are those nuts and clips part for?
Found it in a junkyard searching car-part.com
Nuts and clips for bolting power trunk lift motor, trunk close switch, i just bought oem. They basically had a bag for each nut, so looks like more than it is.
Old 01-29-19, 07:03 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Found it in a junkyard searching car-part.com
Nuts and clips for bolting power trunk lift motor, trunk close switch, i just bought oem. They basically had a bag for each nut, so looks like more than it is.
Did you say you got a kick sensor as well?
Old 01-29-19, 07:06 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by signdetres
Did you say you got a kick sensor as well?
Yes, it's an aftermarket kit that taps into trunk open/close button, see the videos I posted earlier. Some Russian guy sells them, pretty neat you can add it to any car that has a power trunk.
signdetres (01-29-19)

Quick Reply: Power Trunk Retrofit