GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Removing Front Grill

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 01:32 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts
Default Removing Front Grill

I saw lots of threads on this in the past but I can't seem to grasp this apparently simple disassembly procedure.

How do I remove the front upper and lower grille without removing the bumper?

I checked TIS and the instructions say to remove the weather stripping and then the 2 screws. I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this.

Any help please?

Old 08-25-18, 06:07 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm interested too... Are you planning to convert to F Sport grille?
Old 08-25-18, 07:07 PM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

basically if you remove the top panel you can see all the pop clips that hold them in..also the grill is pressed into it's own locking clips..if that makes sense
Old 08-25-18, 07:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Hopefully there is more detail or a DIY, I am putting the F Sport mesh upper and lower grill on my Luxury. Already have the lower portion. I was fooling around with the lower grill yesterday to try to take it out but it looks like you have to take the bottom plastic plating out to get it out fully so you can push the bottom part of the grill out, mine was loose, it has some fastner system where you push it into the front and mine was not pushed in.
Old 08-25-18, 08:02 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by swat1727
I'm interested too... Are you planning to convert to F Sport grille?
I already have the F-Sport. I'm installing some off-road lights and some other stuff and for me to drill, I need to take the grills out.

Originally Posted by thekhmer
basically if you remove the top panel you can see all the pop clips that hold them in..also the grill is pressed into it's own locking clips..if that makes sense
That's the problem, I see the clips but I can't get them to budge!

Originally Posted by UDel
Hopefully there is more detail or a DIY, I am putting the F Sport mesh upper and lower grill on my Luxury. Already have the lower portion. I was fooling around with the lower grill yesterday to try to take it out but it looks like you have to take the bottom plastic plating out to get it out fully so you can push the bottom part of the grill out, mine was loose, it has some fastner system where you push it into the front and mine was not pushed in.
See the attachment. I saw that but still does not help me much, maybe it will help you.
Attached Files
Old 08-25-18, 08:26 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by eddie420

See the attachment. I saw that but still does not help me much, maybe it will help you.
Thanks

My god I hope it is not that difficult to just remove the top and lower grill inserts. Why in gods name would they make it that difficult? Having to loosen the entire bumper, unhook electrical components, really? All my dad had to do on his Acura CL to change the grill piece was unfasten a couple screws and switch them out. Why did they make it so difficult and convoluted for this car to do a simple thing if those directions are correct.
Old 08-25-18, 09:44 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

I don't think you can "safely" remove the grills without removing the bumper. I replaced the top grille with an aftermarket grill from E&G Classics and i ended up breaking the part of the OEM chrome trim that holds it to the bumper. I realized after the fact that It was impossible to get to those screws without removing the bumper. I didn't even know those screws were there and thought maybe the instructions were mistaken because my 2011 IS didn't have those screws when I swapped to the IS f-sport grille...

Here's a pic of how it looks highlighting the fact that that screw broke when I pulled the trim off the bumper and now it just kinda "hangs out":

Last edited by AJLex19; 08-25-18 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (08-25-18)
Old 08-25-18, 09:47 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Thanks

My god I hope it is not that difficult to just remove the top and lower grill inserts. Why in gods name would they make it that difficult? Having to loosen the entire bumper, unhook electrical components, really? All my dad had to do on his Acura CL to change the grill piece was unfasten a couple screws and switch them out. Why did they make it so difficult and convoluted for this car to do a simple thing if those directions are correct.
I agree and i'm not sure why they did it that way - it is very difficult to remove the grills in general. I followed those very instructions to install my E&G mesh grille but tried to do it without removing the bumper.

In those instructions, step 16 for the top grille is what I found impossible to do without removing the bumper. I just couldn't physically find a way to get to that screw and I ended up breaking the trim off.

Last edited by AJLex19; 08-25-18 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-25-18, 10:07 PM
eddie420

Guess I will have to take the bumper off.
Old 08-26-18, 09:18 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Utterly ridiculous and really disappointing to make what should be a very simple easy thing to do so difficult, confusing, and convoluted which may result in broken pieces, misalignment, more trouble then it is worth, no need for that. Shame on them. I thought swapping grills was going to be a easy thing to do like with pretty much all other cars. I don't even know anymore if I want to have to pull the whole damn front bumper out and go through all that trouble just to change the grill now, wish I would have know this before I started ordering stuff.

Wonder if it makes more sense to cut the centers out of the grills out and glue them in without trying to remove the whole grills to switch them out.
Old 08-26-18, 11:59 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Utterly ridiculous and really disappointing to make what should be a very simple easy thing to do so difficult, confusing, and convoluted which may result in broken pieces, misalignment, more trouble then it is worth, no need for that. Shame on them. I thought swapping grills was going to be a easy thing to do like with pretty much all other cars. I don't even know anymore if I want to have to pull the whole damn front bumper out and go through all that trouble just to change the grill now, wish I would have know this before I started ordering stuff.

Wonder if it makes more sense to cut the centers out of the grills out and glue them in without trying to remove the whole grills to switch them out.
That would certainly be a project -- I think its easier to remove the bumper than try to fabricate it that way... I decided to go the route of the E&G Mesh Grille because you only remove the top grill so I decided that I would take the chance and deal with the consequences of not removing the bumper for the upper grile. For the lower grill, the E&G mesh attaches via washers/screws to the existing lower slat-type grill (which I was able to attach without removing the bumper).

There were a few threads on grill swaps in the past:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rt-grille.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...le-switch.html

Last edited by AJLex19; 08-26-18 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
UDel (08-26-18)
Old 08-26-18, 12:44 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJLex19
That would certainly be a project -- I think its easier to remove the bumper than try to fabricate it that way... I decided to go the route of the E&G Mesh Grille because you only remove the top grill so I decided that I would take the chance and deal with the consequences of not removing the bumper for the upper grile. For the lower grill, the E&G mesh attaches via washers/screws to the existing lower slat-type grill (which I was able to attach without removing the bumper).

There were a few threads on grill swaps in the past:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rt-grille.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...le-switch.html
Thanks for those links, I was just about to ask SW17LS for the link he was talking about/started to swap the grills.

Old 08-27-18, 07:27 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

You have to remove the bumper, trust me I tried when I painted my grill. Removing the bumper isn't hard though, it was actually the first bumper I removed myself.
Old 08-27-18, 02:26 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
You have to remove the bumper, trust me I tried when I painted my grill. Removing the bumper isn't hard though, it was actually the first bumper I removed myself.
Was there a DIY you followed to remove it?
Old 08-27-18, 03:19 PM
jsndin
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I highly recommend removing the bumper. There are 2 screws at the chrome trim that were hidden.

There isn't much info on how to remove the bumper but this video is pretty close to the GS.

Quick Reply: Removing Front Grill