GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

I'm starting to love this car and how an Audi fanboy ended up with a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 09:19 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FI4runner

Excellent, thank you very much for the input. I appreciate it! Totally makes sense on the complaining to dealer before warranty is up, that’s why I asked. I was looking at the F10 M5’s - V8 like GSF but TT. Maybe someday Lexus will figure out how to TT a reliable V8 and V6.
Until then, there is always a trade off right? It really just depends on what you are willing to trade (money, performance, reliability).
You have an excellent stable of machines - congrats, and enjoy! :-)

The 2018 Lexus LS500 already has a TT V6. Ref. https://www.lexus.com/models/LS/specifications
Old 08-26-18, 10:42 AM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bb700092
The 2018 Lexus LS500 already has a TT V6. Ref. https://www.lexus.com/models/LS/specifications
414hp/443tq - turbo 6, I wasn’t aware!
Old 08-27-18, 07:32 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I recommend you add a apexi accell, it really wakens up the car and makes it feel completely different. The RR racing tune also made a big difference for me, the combination of the tune, apexi on red mode and sport mode really makes it fun to drive and it feel fast. The awd really jumps off the line quickly. They also make a supercharger now for the GS.
Old 08-27-18, 02:39 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I recommend you add a apexi accell, it really wakens up the car and makes it feel completely different. The RR racing tune also made a big difference for me, the combination of the tune, apexi on red mode and sport mode really makes it fun to drive and it feel fast. The awd really jumps off the line quickly. They also make a supercharger now for the GS.
Please for the love of everything that is good, explain to me what the Apexi controller will do for the GS. I seriously don't get it.
Old 08-27-18, 03:18 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Please for the love of everything that is good, explain to me what the Apexi controller will do for the GS. I seriously don't get it.
Lol, this so much.

I have no idea what those things are for other than to take money from people and (possibly) mess up their car. (there are at least two or three threads on CL where one of these doohickeys have caused codes to be thrown).

WOT is WOT is WOT. An Apexi won't get someone "more than WOT" and hell in a GS, even in Normal mode, I get a pretty decent response out of like 50 or 60% pedal travel as it is. And if I need more I just press it down more, lol.

-Mike
Old 08-28-18, 04:15 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
Lol, this so much.

I have no idea what those things are for other than to take money from people and (possibly) mess up their car. (there are at least two or three threads on CL where one of these doohickeys have caused codes to be thrown).

WOT is WOT is WOT. An Apexi won't get someone "more than WOT" and hell in a GS, even in Normal mode, I get a pretty decent response out of like 50 or 60% pedal travel as it is. And if I need more I just press it down more, lol.

-Mike
The Apexi has never thrown a code for me, the difference is night and day running it. I had a similar device on my BMW and it was the first mod I bought before I even received the car. Its not just a matter of 'If you want WOT on a stock car you can just floor it'. It significantly increases the responsiveness of the car for me. Whatever you think is OK with how it is stock, is very sluggish in comparison to having it. You may not see the need for it since you have never tried it, I have it and can tell you its a huge difference in how it feels. Plenty of other people agree with me.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...threads-2.html
Old 08-28-18, 08:45 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Lol, this so much.

-Mike
Have you ever used “tow-mode” in a truck? The Tundra forum guys actually call it “beast mode” because it drastically changes the throttle response.
it changes it so much in a Tundra, it’s actualy hard to get used to using. You’ll spin the tires around every corner.
My guess is, this Apexi deal is just like tow-mode in a truck.
I haven’t paid attention to the throttle response in the GS to add any input to the conversation.
Old 08-28-18, 09:08 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Lol, this so much.

-Mike
The Apexi has never thrown a code for me, the difference is night and day running it. I had a similar device on my BMW and it was the first mod I bought before I even received the car. Its not just a matter of 'If you want WOT on a stock car you can just floor it'. It significantly increases the responsiveness of the car for me. Whatever you think is OK with how it is stock, is very sluggish in comparison to having it. You may not see the need for it since you have never tried it, I have it and can tell you its a huge difference in how it feels. Plenty of other people agree with me.
Originally Posted by FI4runner

Have you ever used “tow-mode” in a truck? The Tundra forum guys actually call it “beast mode” because it drastically changes the throttle response.
it changes it so much in a Tundra, it’s actualy hard to get used to using. You’ll spin the tires around every corner.
My guess is, this Apexi deal is just like tow-mode in a truck.
I haven’t paid attention to the throttle response in the GS to add any input to the conversation.
So does this thing interface with the GS ETC/ECU and tricks it into believing you are pressing the throttle harder or softer than you really are? So in reality, you're getting a simulated low-end torque output which would normally get if you depressed the gas harder. I guess people coming from cars like BMWs, Audi's and MBs will definitely love this. I might get it myself but I would have to try it to see how it makes an AWD behave. Not bad for $65 if all the above is true.

EDIT: Whoops, just the harness is 65. Looks like it's closer to the $200 range.

Last edited by eddie420; 08-28-18 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 11:25 AM
drgrant
Instructor

I guess I can see the point in some track applications where you're messing with the throttle constantly or something, but otherwise? meh. I've never had trouble getting the GS to "do something" in terms of throttle response.

Does it drop 0-60 or 60-120 times? If not, then someone has to decide... " how useful is it, really? "

-Mike
Old 08-29-18, 03:33 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

I guess I can see the point in some track applications where you're messing with the throttle constantly or something, but otherwise? meh. I've never had trouble getting the GS to "do something" in terms of throttle response.

Does it drop 0-60 or 60-120 times? If not, then someone has to decide... " how useful is it, really? "

-Mike
there is no chance it does anything for performance numbers, since no power is being added and no weight has been removed. All it does is provide a WOT feeling without going WOT. When you go WOT with the Apexi, it is identical to going WOT without it.

A great way to think of it is that it takes your throttle differences between Eco mode and Sport/Sport+ mode to another level(s). Basically becomes Sport/Sport+ on steroids.

Last edited by np20412; 08-29-18 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-29-18, 07:55 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianxWu
Yeah, I didn't know much about Lexus before this. I just knew that the RX was FWD and I think I looked at the ES at one point and it was FWD, so I assumed they were all FWD or front biased AWD cars haha.

And the S7 is my (affordable) dream car (RS7 being my unaffordable). I looked at a used S7 before the Lexus too, but quickly dismissed it. Non-CPO 2013 with 68k miles for $38k. Super tempted, but it made no financial or logical sense.
Lol, funny you dont like lexus for its FWD cars but audi is KNOWN for fwd biased cars. Heck most audis are either FWD or FWD biased AWD cars. There are more RWD cars in Lexus lineups than Rwd cars in Audis.
Old 08-29-18, 10:35 PM
FI4runner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Lol, funny you dont like lexus for its FWD cars but audi is KNOWN for fwd biased cars. Heck most audis are either FWD or FWD biased AWD cars. There are more RWD cars in Lexus lineups than Rwd cars in Audis.
Quattro (2 or 3 different types - and I’m not a fan) can send up to 85% of power to the rear wheels if slip is sensed. I think only the smaller cars (A3 and TT) are mainly FWD bias during normal driving without slippage. The R8 is actually only 10% or 20% to the front I think. It can still be noticed even at that low of a ratio.
I’m a RWD guy too - and didn’t care for Audi for this reason.

Side note - my buddy with a 2014 Audi A6 at 70K miles just called me a few hours ago and said he no longer feels sorry for me complaining about my $445 speeding ticket yesterday. He dropped his A6 off to have the AC blower motor replaced along with a few headlight bulbs and they quoted him $4,800.00 - LOL.
He stopped by a Cadillac dealer on the way home and test drive a new CTS, and is heading out tomorrow to check out a 2018 GS350 and GSF if he can find one.
I almost bought his A6 from him a few months ago - good thing I didn’t.
Old 08-29-18, 11:59 PM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Important to note though.. when comparing an Audi to a GS. Most Audi sedans, even though they may transfer majority power to the rear when needed, were not designed as RWD cars. Their weight distribution and axle overhangs are front wheel drive bias.. No matter where you put the power to the tarmac Nothing against an Audi though. They are pretty good at what they do. but they are not RWD balanced.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (08-30-18)
Old 08-30-18, 12:23 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Originally Posted by np20412
there is no chance it does anything for performance numbers, since no power is being added and no weight has been removed. All it does is provide a WOT feeling without going WOT. When you go WOT with the Apexi, it is identical to going WOT without it.

A great way to think of it is that it takes your throttle differences between Eco mode and Sport/Sport+ mode to another level(s). Basically becomes Sport/Sport+ on steroids.
I will confess that when I posited this question, I did it half rhetorically- EG, I was already pretty sure that was the answer, but on the other hand, that I was also willing to acknowledge that there might be something I overlooked WRT how the things operate.

-Mike
Old 08-30-18, 01:45 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

I will confess that when I posited this question, I did it half rhetorically- EG, I was already pretty sure that was the answer, but on the other hand, that I was also willing to acknowledge that there might be something I overlooked WRT how the things operate.

-Mike
If it was rhetorical then it whooshed over me maybe someone might read and it find clarity though!