GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mysterious issues with my 2015 GS 350 F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 12:23 PM
AYLexus18
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Mysterious issues with my 2015 GS 350 F-Sport

I purchased my car from a car sales lot, not a dealership and with 2 previous accidents at 51k miles.

Looking at the car service history, it seems like the car went in for service as per schedule. However, at about 15k miles, the previous owner was complaining about vibration after hitting a pothole in NYC. Seems like the tire was replaced. I also notice that one of the wheels is darker than the others. I am not sure if one of the rims were replaced as well.

1. Vibration

One of my previous posts was about vibrating at high speeds and while breaking; the rotors were bent. I replaced the complete set of rotors and breaks pad.

The vibrating at breaking went away but was still present at moderate speed (50-60 mph). I took all my rims to a shop to get straightened but the issue is still mildly there.

Sometimes at 50-60 Mph, I "feel" the steering wheel mildly vibrates, I can also mildly hear some kind of noise like something is not round. I can't hear anything when I roll my windows down because of the wind noise. The tires seem to be ok and regardless how I rotate the wheels, it still seems to be there.

However, other times, but not often, I feel like the vibration will get worst and then "calm" down.

No, it's not the road because I don't have the same experience with my Camry while taking the same route - to work.

2. Slipping

On two occasions, I felt something slipped.
The first time I noticed this was while making a 3 point turn.
Going straight, I turned left, then reverse while turning right and after turning left and accelerate, I felt like something slipped.

The second occasion, backing up in my driveway.
I drive past my driveway turning left to have the rear pointing to the driveway and hood pointing outwards. I turned right and began backing up and noticed it again.
What comes to mind, it felt like both wheels were on a banana peel; it slipped for a second and stopped.

3. Final issue - Noise while turning left
This happened once; as you could probably tell, I live in NYC and parking/driveway etc are all narrow.
Coming out of my driveway, I am turning left... all the way. I felt like my car was brushing against another... no, it was not. it sounds like metal on metal... a think metal. I stopped and looked around but couldn't see anything. I continued and it also did. However, after straightening out, I couldn't reproduce it.

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-13-18, 12:34 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

As to issue 3, on another car I used to own I heard a metal on metal rubbing sound coming from the front wheel when it was turned all the way in one direction. It was a heat/dust shield piece behind the rotor, it had somehow become a little bent and would rub on another metal piece when I had the wheel turned all the way. Sounds kind of like what you described.
The following users liked this post:
AYLexus18 (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 12:56 PM
AYLexus18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CottageChz
As to issue 3, on another car I used to own I heard a metal on metal rubbing sound coming from the front wheel when it was turned all the way in one direction. It was a heat/dust shield piece behind the rotor, it had somehow become a little bent and would rub on another metal piece when I had the wheel turned all the way. Sounds kind of like what you described.
Possible. It makes sense but I am disappointed I wasn't able to replicate.

My two front ones are bent; I am not sure how they got that way but I am considering replacing them. However, It seems like everyone is purposely bending theirs to resolve other noise issues
Old 08-13-18, 01:30 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 417 Likes on 291 Posts

#2 is normal behavior for our cars and is not an issue. It's simply how the steering mechanics works. Paging bclexus as he has many a diagram and link that explains this.
AYLexus18 (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 02:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
#2 is normal behavior for our cars and is not an issue. It's simply how the steering mechanics works. Paging bclexus as he has many a diagram and link that explains this.
Read about Ackermann Steering Geometry and also about Scrub Radius and Squirm.

When a car with a tight suspension and wide tires makes a small radius turn at a slow speed, one of the front tires can slip, jump or jerk.

You'll find it slips/skips easier when you drive over a surface that has both dry and wet patches - with the wet surface making it slip more, or when turning sharply on a surface where there are painted lines (e.g. parking lot) because the paint eliminates the normally rough surface texture.
AYLexus18 (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 02:33 PM
AYLexus18
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bclexus
Read about Ackermann Steering Geometry and also about Scrub Radius and Squirm.

When a car with a tight suspension and wide tires makes a small radius turn at a slow speed, one of the front tires can slip, jump or jerk.

You'll find it slips/skips easier when you drive over a surface that has both dry and wet patches - with the wet surface making it slip more, or when turning sharply on a surface where there are painted lines (e.g. parking lot) because the paint eliminates the normally rough surface texture.
Thank you very much for this information. It makes a lot more sense now... and I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks again.