GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

K&N engine air filter VS OEM paper air filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-18, 07:36 PM
LexusGuy01
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default K&N engine air filter VS OEM paper air filter

HI to forum, I bought my 2016 Lexus GS 350 2 years ago and now is almost 10K miles. I want to change the engine air filter by myself and my question is K&N oil air filter is the best suit to Lexus car or just go with the paper filter? As I can see the K&N air filter is thinner than the paper filter and I do alot of reviews about K&N filter that give me confuse about how it filtrate the dirts....

KN filters= more air flow + less filtration = damage in the long run to the car. Paper Filters = more filtration + less air flow = better care of your engine.

What do you guys think? Any ideals, suggestions about engine air filter to help our Lexus perform the best as it can and no harm to engine. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Wildcat58 (08-26-20)
Old 08-05-18, 09:10 AM
LexusGuy01
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb K&N air filter VS Paper filter?

[QUOTE=LexusGuy01;10270272]HI to forum, I bought my 2016 Lexus GS 350 2 years ago and now is almost 10K miles. I want to change the engine air filter by myself and my question is K&N oil air filter is the best suit to Lexus car or just go with the paper filter? As I can see the K&N air filter is thinner than the paper filter and I do alot of reviews about K&N filter that give me confuse about how it filtrate the dirts....

KN filters= more air flow + less filtration = damage in the long run to the car. Paper Filters = more filtration + less air flow = better care of your engine.

What do you guys think? Any ideals, suggestions about engine air filter to help our Lexus perform the best as it can and no harm to engine. Thanks.

Wildcat58 (08-26-20)
Old 08-05-18, 07:32 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

[QUOTE=LexusGuy01;10270542]
Originally Posted by LexusGuy01
HI to forum, I bought my 2016 Lexus GS 350 2 years ago and now is almost 10K miles. I want to change the engine air filter by myself and my question is K&N oil air filter is the best suit to Lexus car or just go with the paper filter? As I can see the K&N air filter is thinner than the paper filter and I do alot of reviews about K&N filter that give me confuse about how it filtrate the dirts....

The stock filter is adequate for most things you'll do with the car, including keeping the engine intake tract clean.

The K&N filter is a very good filter and I've been running one on my other car for 30 years with no ill effects.

Unless you are running WOT a lot, there isn't much chance you are restricting the engine with a standard filter.
Old 08-05-18, 07:56 PM
SPM14430
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You can also consider the Lexus F-sport filter... washable and doesn't need to be oiled

Part no. PTR03-53141-AA
eddie420 (08-06-18)
Old 08-06-18, 12:07 PM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I've used K&N filters for years in other cars and have had good experience. I tried it in my 2013 GS 350 F-Sport AWD and felt nothing different, but kept it in for maybe 10,000 miles. I still have the filter at home sitting on the workbench in the garage (sold the car). If you're interested in it, shoot me a PM and I'll send it your way. Filler is no longer available.

For my new car (2018), once the paper filter needs to be replaced I'll likely replace with the F-Sport drop in filter since it's easier to maintain (wash only vs. wash and oil).

Last edited by IndyIS; 08-12-18 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 12:32 PM
funkizm
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 08-06-18, 12:43 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Take it from a guy that keeps his cars 10 to 15 years. I have never ever had engine damage from an OEM air filter. The K&N air filter isn't worth the trouble. It's a pain in the *** to oil and most people over oil it and can cause damage to the MAF sensor.

As for it breathing better, is it marketing. Show me a dyno where it breathes better for more power or better economy.
ShrinkDoc (11-14-20)
Old 08-06-18, 02:05 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

What praetor said.... most fancy air filters or intake tubes etc are just a ripoff. The only reason I can ever see changing that stuff is if you have other mods going on and a different style of filter/intake is needed. With a stock motor the stock airbox and filter are just fine.

-Mike
Old 08-06-18, 05:39 PM
diablo1714
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my 2016 F Sport GS, I bought the F-Sport filter simply for the cost benefit of having a lifetime filter. A filter that I can clean, and not have to keep buying paper filters over and over.
Old 08-07-18, 08:37 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1714
For my 2016 F Sport GS, I bought the F-Sport filter simply for the cost benefit of having a lifetime filter. A filter that I can clean, and not have to keep buying paper filters over and over.
This is, to me, the best reasoning. Plus, when your car is in the shop and they try to push you to replace the filter, you can just tell them it's washable so no thanks. No pressure selling and off you go back on your merry way
Old 08-07-18, 01:02 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1714
I was thinking of one of these... but what does "washing the filter" actually entail?
Old 08-09-18, 05:00 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Originally Posted by chinee
I was thinking of one of these... but what does "washing the filter" actually entail?
I don't have the actual filter for my GS yet, but if it's anything like the F-Sport filter that came with the F-Sport intake on my IS years ago (pictures make it look very similar), it's as simple as using the cleaner spray (available from Lexus), letting it sit for a minute or two, then spraying off with the hose. Once it's fully dried off, you put it back in and off you go.

If you plan to keep your car a long time, it's a good option for the price. If you're leasing or only planning to keep the car for 3 years, stick with paper since you won't spend near as much in 3 years for the paper filters as you would for the F-Sport filter.
Old 08-09-18, 06:57 AM
praetor
Racer

The K&N filters need to be oiled after washing and drying. The oiling part is a pain in the *** and can cause damage to the MAF sensor if you over oil it.
Old 08-09-18, 08:07 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
The K&N filters need to be oiled after washing and drying. The oiling part is a pain in the *** and can cause damage to the MAF sensor if you over oil it.
That's why I've always stayed away from the K&N filters. I keep my cars more than 10 years so I may consider the F Sport filter
Old 08-09-18, 08:24 AM
praetor
Racer

The ROI really isn't there. An OEM air filter is $25. In 10 years, I will replace it 3 times at most. $75. The K&N is $60 plus $10 or so for the oil. Yeah not worth my time.

Quick Reply: K&N engine air filter VS OEM paper air filter