Looking for my first Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 12:08 PM
ror105
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking for my first Lexus

Hi Guys,

Spent the last 2 days looking through the forums and the classifieds and took a 2015 GS350 and 2015 IS350 for a ride yesterday. Have had my eyes set on a used GSF, but after driving the 3.5L yesterday, another 160 hp will definitely get me into trouble. So, after searching and searching, I have my mind set on a silver, gray or white and would really like to get one of the luxury editions with the red/black interior. I like the Sport/Sport + option, along with the climate control and audio control in the rear. Not sure if the red/black combo was an option for the luxury or not. The red/black combo I saw was on an F and had the wood grain dash. Very nice. Not a big fan of the 19" tires and more expensive brakes on the F but suppose if I had to get into the color combo I want I would accept it. I am usually pretty easy on brakes, but doubt I would be on this car.

I have narrowed my search down to L certified and am willing to fly to go get the car but I feel like what I am looking for doesn't exist the way I see it in my mind.

Anyone shoot holes in my theory or offer advice on how to search for the Luxury model in auto trader, car guru's etc?

I am in PA and willing to travel about anywhere to get the right car. Figured with an L certified unit, I would work the deal sight unseen and show up to pick it up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-01-18, 12:36 PM
JLRespTher
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in Los Angeles, L Certified vehicles usually are not able to haggle on prices especially if it’s under Autonation but it does provide a Carfax report along with what type of service it has been taken care with on the vehicle, the downside is that it’s a bit more expensive then buying from a private dealer,

that said its up to you if you want that peace of mind when buying a car

I originally wanted to buy a regular GS 350 but I factored in having the extras bigger brakes and Sport + mod along with few minor touches that I’ll be happier down the road instead of always wondering what if

from my experience the $ between a used GS and a F sport came out to be about 4K obviously depending on the mileage of the car

as far as loopholes I couldn’t really find any but other CL members might know, I do know if you can ask the dealer they’ll give you little freebies like oem all weather pads, the f sport leather key fob cover, a Lexus chrome license plate frame (front and back)

my dealer even threw in an extra free oil change on top of the first 4 free services (which is really only 2 oil changes cause an oil change is every 10K)

make sure you understand the warranty details too and do not purchase the prepaid maintenance plan, that is a waste of money good luck!
Old 08-01-18, 01:00 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

I think Luxury is the way to go: no brake issues, extra features, better passenger seat, more comfortable due to 18" wheels.
No need to worry about CPO: these cars are just fabulously engineered and built.
Focus on the color combo you want and mileage that makes you comfortable.

If you have to fly to buy, you get a nice road trip home.
Old 08-01-18, 01:11 PM
Rich707
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jonathancl
I think Luxury is the way to go: no brake issues, extra features, better passenger seat, more comfortable due to 18" wheels.
No need to worry about CPO: these cars are just fabulously engineered and built. Focus on the color combo you want and mileage that makes you comfortable. If you have to fly to buy, you get a nice road trip home.
Have to agree. Spent several months looking for a low mileage CPO-- they are out there, just have to take
time to look. Luxury package is the way to go-- Specially in a hybrid. You get the upgrade leather, pw seats,
lights, etc + the AVS suspension If you are lucky, you can also find units with the safety packages, ML, HUD. My .02

2014 GSh Luxury CPO
The following 2 users liked this post by Rich707:
Im2bz2p345 (08-02-18), jonathancl (08-01-18)
Old 08-01-18, 02:23 PM
ror105
Driver School Candidate

The 2015 I drove the other day had 20k miles on it and smelled like an ashtray. Really afraid of flying into the middle of who knows where to pick it up only to be disappointed by smelly interior or paint chips their camera didn't catch.

How do I go about searching for 'luxury' edition? Is there something in the VIN, the chrome wheels, what distinguishes it so I can run the search without having every other type of unit come up?

Rich707, that car is gorgeous. Just don't think I could get away with driving red.
Old 08-01-18, 04:08 PM
Rich707
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by ror105
The 2015 I drove the other day had 20k miles on it and smelled like an ashtray. Really afraid of flying into the middle of who knows where to pick it up only to be disappointed by smelly interior or paint chips their camera didn't catch.

How do I go about searching for 'luxury' edition? Is there something in the VIN, the chrome wheels, what distinguishes it so I can run the search without having every other type of unit come up?

Rich707, that car is gorgeous. Just don't think I could get away with driving red.
Thanks for the complement-- don't wanna stand out in the crowd
Can offer a couple of suggestions if you haven't already done so:
Google the Lexus GS brochures for say the 2014 and 2016 MY and save them for reference --
that way you can then know for sure what equipment is available and in what Package/ stand-alone
configuration. You can also research prior threads on the Boards on what is available, how to identify
certain packages based upon location for interior parts, etc. My experience is that the majority of units
out there will be divided between F-sport and Premium + stand alone options, and then followed by
Luxury package a distant third. If you need more info I can provide that as well. Good hunting!
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (08-15-18)
Old 08-01-18, 05:44 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

How do I go about searching for 'luxury' edition?
I didn't find edition tags to be very helpful searching for a GS.
Best way to tell is the wheels.

Look for these.

Chaos236 (08-15-18)
Old 08-01-18, 06:31 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Look for the unique wheels, dark wood trim, wood trimmed steering wheel, and rear seat controls if they show a picture. Word of warning, Luxury models are extremely rare, there is not much choice. I just got a Black on Black Luxury model, I really like it but there were very few to choose from around me.

Old 08-01-18, 09:49 PM
ReggieFish
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
No need to worry about CPO: these cars are just fabulously engineered and built.
Focus on the color combo you want and mileage that makes you comfortable.

If you have to fly to buy, you get a nice road trip home.
I have a 2015 luxury that has 19" wheels. Think 19" became standard for the luxury models in 2015.
Old 08-01-18, 11:16 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

The red and black interior was only available on the Crafted Line, which was a special edition F Sport.
Old 08-02-18, 06:58 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,169 Likes on 864 Posts

Hi Guys,

Spent the last 2 days looking through the forums and the classifieds and took a 2015 GS350 and 2015 IS350 for a ride yesterday. Have had my eyes set on a used GSF, but after driving the 3.5L yesterday, another 160 hp will definitely get me into trouble. So, after searching and searching, I have my mind set on a silver, gray or white and would really like to get one of the luxury editions with the red/black interior. I like the Sport/Sport + option, along with the climate control and audio control in the rear. Not sure if the red/black combo was an option for the luxury or not. The red/black combo I saw was on an F and had the wood grain dash. Very nice. Not a big fan of the 19" tires and more expensive brakes on the F but suppose if I had to get into the color combo I want I would accept it. I am usually pretty easy on brakes, but doubt I would be on this car.

I have narrowed my search down to L certified and am willing to fly to go get the car but I feel like what I am looking for doesn't exist the way I see it in my mind.

Anyone shoot holes in my theory or offer advice on how to search for the Luxury model in auto trader, car guru's etc?

I am in PA and willing to travel about anywhere to get the right car. Figured with an L certified unit, I would work the deal sight unseen and show up to pick it up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob
As mentioned, only the crafted line has that rare combination of red/black interior seats with the wood trim interior:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0935/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3073/overview/

Here are a few Lux models:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4349/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0369/overview/
corpnupe85 (08-04-18)
Old 08-02-18, 10:40 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

If you haven't already checked out the topics stickied/pinned in this section of the forum, you should definitely do so. TONS of great information these vehicles.

This stickied should help you out greatly in your search: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-pictures.html

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 08-02-18, 11:23 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 99 Posts

Have had my eyes set on a used GSF, but after driving the 3.5L yesterday, another 160 hp will definitely get me into trouble.
Lol not sure what you mean by this. Even a GS/IS 350 can pretty quickly get you into going to jail territory, my 2015 loafs along at 120 like it doesn't care. The scary thing is that the car is not scary at those speeds, if that makes any sense. Obviously I didn't press my luck with it too much. (I've paid way too much in insurance charges, and have been clean for many years now). I'm pretty tame most of the time but it's not the motor that keeps me that way while driving.

I guess what I'm getting at is, a GS350 will still do outright insane things compared to an average car, so assuming that a smaller motor will "cool your impulses" somehow, is foolhardy.

If I had the extra cash I would have had a GSF, although honestly I kinda like the GS350's seats better, though. Seem like they have more adjustment range.

-Mike
Old 08-02-18, 11:44 PM
MGs350
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JLRespTher
Here in Los Angeles, L Certified vehicles usually are not able to haggle on prices especially if it’s under Autonation but it does provide a Carfax report along with what type of service it has been taken care with on the vehicle, the downside is that it’s a bit more expensive then buying from a private dealer,

that said its up to you if you want that peace of mind when buying a car

I originally wanted to buy a regular GS 350 but I factored in having the extras bigger brakes and Sport + mod along with few minor touches that I’ll be happier down the road instead of always wondering what if

from my experience the $ between a used GS and a F sport came out to be about 4K obviously depending on the mileage of the car

as far as loopholes I couldn’t really find any but other CL members might know, I do know if you can ask the dealer they’ll give you little freebies like oem all weather pads, the f sport leather key fob cover, a Lexus chrome license plate frame (front and back)

my dealer even threw in an extra free oil change on top of the first 4 free services (which is really only 2 oil changes cause an oil change is every 10K)

make sure you understand the warranty details too and do not purchase the prepaid maintenance plan, that is a waste of money good luck!
Why do you think prepaid maintenance plan is a waste of money? I'm supposed to be covered from 70k to 90k with it..
Old 08-03-18, 02:58 AM
ror105
Driver School Candidate

drgrant-I drive 90 miles round trip each work day on a mostly straight interstate. I am currently driving my most recent mistake, a Subaru Crosstrek I bought new in late 2014. Car is a dog on the interstate and when you hit a mountain and keep it pegged it can run 80 to 90. While test driving the GS350 the other day, I did notice how calm and reassured it felt at triple digit speeds. Super nice. I think with the GSF, I would find myself moving along at an illegal speed only to find myself trying to pass someone and look down and now I am double the speed limit. And I know listening to that V8 roar won't help matters. I am a mature professional in my late 40's but cars have a way of making me a wee bit less conservative. That, and I am amazed at how cheap my insurance is lol! I want to keep it that way.

I found a luxury but have to say I am leaning more towards the F sport. The crafted line white with the black and red interior is super nice. But then I hate black wheels on a white car and then they painted the side mirrors black. Not visually appealing to me.

So, I think if I find the right GS FSport AWD in silver or grey, with the cabernet interior and ML stereo in near new condition, I will pay a little extra to get it. Found one at a BMW dealer 150 miles away, but it has black interior. Not a showstopper but the red is really nice in my opinion.

Thanks for all the feedback people. Really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experiences with me.

-Rob
corpnupe85 (08-04-18)

Quick Reply: Looking for my first Lexus