GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is this bushing the culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 09:32 PM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Is this bushing the culprit?

..so I picked up again my search for the squeaky screeching sound coming from my drivers front wheel area. I once again lifted the car and checked bushings as best as I could to try and find any defects. I also greased up the sway bar bushings hoping that would help.

Everything looks OK under the car with the exception of these bushings. Not sure how I missed them the first time I checked.

So question, do you guys think these are defective enough that they could be the reason for my troubles? If so, can these be replaced on their own? Anyone know parts numbers?

thank you in advance for your help.

Pics..

Old 07-31-18, 04:51 AM
thekhmer
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

screeching? this might be dumb question but did u check brake pads, also the bushing on the upper control arm?
Old 07-31-18, 10:33 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Does the screeching happen when you turn? It's a common issue with our cars due to the brake dust shield touching the edge of the rotor. Use a long screw driver and pry back the dust shield.
Old 08-02-18, 07:25 AM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by thekhmer
screeching? this might be dumb question but did u check brake pads, also the bushing on the upper control arm?
Maybe screeching wasn't the right word. More like a rubber to rubber sound, almost like when you turn the spring against the rubber parts of the strut. Also a loud knock sound when I stop or take off after a complete stop. You can almost feel it right under the pedals. From previous threads sounds like this is happening to many other members too.

It got really bad the last couple of days, which in a way I'm happy about, that way I can hopefully find out what it is easier.

Originally Posted by er34
Does the screeching happen when you turn? It's a common issue with our cars due to the brake dust shield touching the edge of the rotor. Use a long screw driver and pry back the dust shield.
Yes. mainly when I turn or the car flexes like when you go up the driveway. Dust shield is fine. This is more like a knocking sound now when I stop and when I take off.
I recently replaced the cv axle so I doubt it's that but I guess I should check it too. It's gonna suck if I have to replace it again lol.
Old 08-02-18, 12:24 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DiezDos
Maybe screeching wasn't the right word. More like a rubber to rubber sound, almost like when you turn the spring against the rubber parts of the strut. Also a loud knock sound when I stop or take off after a complete stop. You can almost feel it right under the pedals. From previous threads sounds like this is happening to many other members too.

It got really bad the last couple of days, which in a way I'm happy about, that way I can hopefully find out what it is easier.

Yes. mainly when I turn or the car flexes like when you go up the driveway. Dust shield is fine. This is more like a knocking sound now when I stop and when I take off.
I recently replaced the cv axle so I doubt it's that but I guess I should check it too. It's gonna suck if I have to replace it again lol.
Make sure the CV bolts aren't loosening, easy to get grease on the bolt threads & later they work loose & axle comes loose.
Old 08-02-18, 08:36 PM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Make sure the CV bolts aren't loosening, easy to get grease on the bolt threads & later they work loose & axle comes loose.
Are you talking about the main big lug at the end?

Old 08-02-18, 10:05 PM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

So I decided to take off the wheel and have another look. Looks like it is the CV axle. I was able to replicate some of the sound as you can hear on the video I've attached. As I've said before, I replaced that axle myself not long ago and I remember I just took off the snap ring off the old axle and put it on the replacement one. Question; do you guys think the snap ring is done and it isn't holding in that end of the axle? As you can see on the video the housing moves in and out quite a bit.. Or do you guys think the whole axle is done? I want to try to replace the snap ring but not sure if that would be enough.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0870.MOV (4.41 MB, 50 views)
Old 08-03-18, 07:33 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DiezDos
So I decided to take off the wheel and have another look. Looks like it is the CV axle. I was able to replicate some of the sound as you can hear on the video I've attached. As I've said before, I replaced that axle myself not long ago and I remember I just took off the snap ring off the old axle and put it on the replacement one. Question; do you guys think the snap ring is done and it isn't holding in that end of the axle? As you can see on the video the housing moves in and out quite a bit.. Or do you guys think the whole axle is done? I want to try to replace the snap ring but not sure if that would be enough.
Is it like that on the other side? A little bit of play is acceptable for CV axles.

But looks like you have a crack in the boot.

Last edited by er34; 08-03-18 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-11-18, 04:31 PM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by er34
Is it like that on the other side? A little bit of play is acceptable for CV axles.

But looks like you have a crack in the boot.
Sorry for late reply. Been a busy one.

Other side seemed fine. No play at all. The boot didn't have a crack. It was like line from the mold for the boot.
Old 08-11-18, 04:40 PM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

Update: So in the last few days I've done a bit of work to try and figure out this damn knocking sound I can't get rid of.

I replaced the LCA bushings with RR racing ones a few days ago. Stock bushings looked fine but I figured what the heck, it'd be worth a try and I'll be left with some nice bushings. Got in my car after and clunk/knocking sound still there

I checked the cv axle again and noticed it didn't feel as firm as I remembered it being. Plus that play I showed earlier was still on the back of my head. So I went ahead and took it off and had it rebuilt by a reputable local shop. They said it did need some work and I was hopeful that this was the issue. Immediately came home and put it on the car. Moved the wheel around while parked and no noise. Felt smoother and hopeful I took it for a drive. No freakin luck! immediately getting out of my driveway and when I took off some of the clunking noise was still there. I can tell the new axle did help but this knocking sound still has to be coming from something else.

Any ideas people?? Could it be my strut? A motor mount maybe? Next I'm going to replace the sway arm bushings even though they looked ok. I found another thread where they looked fine and when the owner replaced them they happened to be the fix. After that, I will probably try to replace the bushings I first mentioned on this thread. Not sure how I'm going to do it but I would think it makes sense since they do look somewhat damaged.

Any input appreciated. Tired of my wife calling my car a lemon lol
Old 08-12-18, 06:02 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

If it were mine, I'd check every bolt and nut to check them over. Then I'd see if you can get someone to help listen. Find the lowest speed and condition you can reproduce it at and get someone to hang out the window if necessary to pinpoint it.
Old 08-12-18, 06:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
If it were mine, I'd check every bolt and nut to check them over. Then I'd see if you can get someone to help listen. Find the lowest speed and condition you can reproduce it at and get someone to hang out the window if necessary to pinpoint it.
Or...he can take it to his Lexus dealer and let an expert technician tell him what the problem is - probably in less than 5 minutes. I strongly suspect it will save him from wasting more time, money and further frustration seeing that he has already used a significant amount already.
Old 08-12-18, 07:35 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 402 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Or...he can take it to his Lexus dealer and let an expert technician tell him what the problem is - probably in less than 5 minutes. I strongly suspect it will save him from wasting more time, money and further frustration seeing that he has already used a significant amount already.
But where's the fun in that? LOL I love a good mystery.
Old 08-12-18, 07:46 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I'm guessing the fun for him has gone out of the chase by now...
Old 08-12-18, 08:02 PM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

This is my next step. Someone asked last night if I had done any work on the car in the past but I don't see the comment anymore. But I've done brakes, aftermarket rotors, strut bar, LCA bushing's now, checked sway bar bushings, lowering springs... I guess there has been quite a bit. Honestly I'm hopeful that something has come loose (never thought I'd say that) and that it's just a bolt that's causing this.

So like you said. I'm gonna go one by one and also see if I can get a friend to stand by the car and see if we can pinpoint exactly what area it's coming from.

I drove last night and it seems to do it more when I take off from a complete stop. Like at a red light.

That's gonna be next step after checking every bolt and nut. Any idea how much they charge for just an inspection? I have the extended warranty but I doubt any of that matters since all the things I've changed on the car.

I'm guessing the fun for him has gone out of the chase by now...
I agree with bclexus...this is not fun anymore haha

Quick Reply: Is this bushing the culprit?