GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is this bushing the culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 12:31 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

You might end up replacing more unnecessary parts before you give up and go to the dealership. Seems like your very capable of doing the repair but just let the dealership diagnose it.

Old 08-13-18, 03:56 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by DiezDos
That's gonna be next step after checking every bolt and nut. Any idea how much they charge for just an inspection? I have the extended warranty but I doubt any of that matters since all the things I've changed on the car.
Usually around $110 -$120 depends on labor rate.
Old 08-13-18, 06:24 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

This is my next step. Someone asked last night if I had done any work on the car in the past but I don't see the comment anymore. But I've done brakes, aftermarket rotors, strut bar, LCA bushing's now, checked sway bar bushings, lowering springs... I guess there has been quite a bit. Honestly I'm hopeful that something has come loose (never thought I'd say that) and that it's just a bolt that's causing this.

So like you said. I'm gonna go one by one and also see if I can get a friend to stand by the car and see if we can pinpoint exactly what area it's coming from.

I drove last night and it seems to do it more when I take off from a complete stop. Like at a red light.
So, that helps narrow it down to something that shifts forward when you brake and shifts back when you accelerate. No chance the brake pads are floating a little loose in the caliper is there? You can test that by stopping but never fully releasing the brakes when you accelerate away to see if it does it or not. Then repeat your normal way and once more with slight braking on take off to see if it is repeatable and both ways.

Second idea, do you have a GoPro you could mount in the wheel well or under the car? I'm reminded of the video for the LCA bushing that showed lots of deflection. Great troubleshooting tool.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
DiezDos (08-13-18)
Old 08-13-18, 09:02 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Spring perch, strut mount, steering rack? I'd triple check anything in the areas that you have done work on or modified.
Old 08-13-18, 05:32 PM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

So Monday update lol..

Took off wheel and checked all nuts and bolts that I can remember messing with. All good. I also removed the nut on the upper control arm and found the bushing to have extremely too much play. I started a youtube so I can post longer videos haha. First one is the upper control arm and the bolt is supposed to point down but I guess I had my phone upside down haha.

Second is my wife trying to replicate the sound of me going up the driveway.

Old 08-14-18, 08:48 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

So Monday update lol..

Took off wheel and checked all nuts and bolts that I can remember messing with. All good. I also removed the nut on the upper control arm and found the bushing to have extremely too much play. I started a youtube so I can post longer videos haha. First one is the upper control arm and the bolt is supposed to point down but I guess I had my phone upside down haha.

https://youtu.be/RwYi0NaELwU

https://youtu.be/QsNpraTqCco
While that ball joint doesn't look great, I didn't hear it making any noise. I don't know if that is your problem, but I'd replace it. The noise in the second video sounds like what my car does (not in the same situation) but as it cools after being run, heat contraction.

What happens if you bounce the fender up and down? Strut secured under the hood?
Old 08-14-18, 12:07 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

So Monday update lol..

https://youtu.be/QsNpraTqCco
Sounds like brake noise to me. If so, my best guess is that the crunching/creaking noise is caused by no grease on the back and the sides of the brake pads.

If you put the car in Park and do not apply the brakes when turning the steering wheel, do you still hear the crunching/creaking noise? If no noise is heard, then it's a pretty good bet that the noise is coming from the brakes.

What torque did you use when tightening the caliper bolts - 100 lb-ft? Check the torque on your caliper bolts. Did you use the brake pad shims?

Shifting brake pads can make that crunching/creaking noise, or when dry friction from the caliper pistons meet the brake pads. Did you use brake grease on the slide pins and the back of the pads, and also on the sides of the pads where they fit into their mounting frame? Maybe you just didn't want to use enough any grease that could get on your nicely painted calipers or shiny new drilled and slotted rotors!

Last edited by bclexus; 08-14-18 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-14-18, 08:38 PM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
What happens if you bounce the fender up and down? Strut secured under the hood?
Strut is secure. Checked all the nuts. No noise if I press down on the fender. Then again, a guy my size may not do enough by pushing down to make it do any noises.

Originally Posted by bclexus
If you put the car in Park and do not apply the brakes when turning the steering wheel, do you still hear the crunching/creaking noise? If no noise is heard, then it's a pretty good bet that the noise is coming from the brakes.

What torque did you use when tightening the caliper bolts - 100 lb-ft? Check the torque on your caliper bolts. Did you use the brake pad shims?

Shifting brake pads can make that crunching/creaking noise, or when dry friction from the caliper pistons meet the brake pads. Did you use brake grease on the slide pins and the back of the pads, and also on the sides of the pads where they fit into their mounting frame? Maybe you just didn't want to use enough any grease that could get on your nicely painted calipers or shiny new drilled and slotted rotors!
I'm going to give this a try tomorrow. Also, checking the outer tie rod and removing brake pads and reinstalling to be sure. Calipers were torqued to 100 lbs.

haha I did use some grease but maybe not enough. I'm basically going to redo it all from beginning and see how that goes.

Either way, I have an appointment on Friday for Lexus to check it out. It'd be nice to find a solution before then and not waste a hundred and some bucks but we'll see.

On the video, might be hard to tell but some of the sound is coming directly from the hub area. Is it possible that my wheel bearing is no good? I read they don't easily go out but I wonder if that could also be a possibility.
Old 08-15-18, 11:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like brake noise to me. If so, my best guess is that the crunching/creaking noise is caused by no grease on the back and the sides of the brake pads.

​​​​​​​

I'm going to give this a try tomorrow. Also, checking the outer tie rod and removing brake pads and reinstalling to be sure. Calipers were torqued to 100 lbs.

haha I did use some grease but maybe not enough. I'm basically going to redo it all from beginning and see how that goes.

Either way, I have an appointment on Friday for Lexus to check it out. It'd be nice to find a solution before then and not waste a hundred and some bucks but we'll see.

On the video, might be hard to tell but some of the sound is coming directly from the hub area. Is it possible that my wheel bearing is no good? I read they don't easily go out but I wonder if that could also be a possibility.
Do the same wheel turning you did in the above video except in Park without applying the brakes. If no noise, then 99.999% its your brakes. Let us know... Good luck!
Old 08-17-18, 11:13 AM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

So bit the bullet and took the car to get inspected at the dealership. Glad I did.

While I feel silly I didn't catch it, I had never touched this so I did not think to check. Turned out to be the camber eccentric bolts. Apparently they were both loose.

The other day I checked the nuts and bolts of things I had messed with, I never imagined it could have been these bolts since I've never touched them. I was right there!! haha should have checked them. I'm just glad I didn't spend in more parts only to still have the issue. You live and you learn.

I still have to replaced those bushings I found to be worn but it's not as urgent as the embarrassing clunk noises are now gone

Thank you all for the help.
The following users liked this post:
er34 (08-17-18)
Old 08-17-18, 11:15 AM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

...funny thing is. If I had replaced the bushings I initially asked about on here, I would have removed those bolts and put them back on properly. Therefore would have been fixed lol...sigh
Old 08-17-18, 12:03 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

So bit the bullet and took the car to get inspected at the dealership. Glad I did.

While I feel silly I didn't catch it, I had never touched this so I did not think to check. Turned out to be the camber eccentric bolts. Apparently they were both loose.

The other day I checked the nuts and bolts of things I had messed with, I never imagined it could have been these bolts since I've never touched them. I was right there!! haha should have checked them. I'm just glad I didn't spend in more parts only to still have the issue. You live and you learn.

I still have to replaced those bushings I found to be worn but it's not as urgent as the embarrassing clunk noises are now gone

It's often easier to diagnose this stuff while the car is on a lift, I think you did well.

Do you have a picture of which bolts? Might help some members out diagnosing these problems.
Old 08-17-18, 12:30 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

...funny thing is. If I had replaced the bushings I initially asked about on here, I would have removed those bolts and put them back on properly. Therefore would have been fixed lol...sigh
Strange! How long ago were they installed for you and were left loose?

Glad you got it fixed...
Old 08-17-18, 09:33 PM
DiezDos
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by er34
It's often easier to diagnose this stuff while the car is on a lift, I think you did well.

Do you have a picture of which bolts? Might help some members out diagnosing these problems.
I think it's these.

Strange! How long ago were they installed for you and were left loose?

Glad you got it fixed...
Honestly I would have to say last time I had it aligned. Which was over a year ago. Must of been getting loose little by little. We have horrible roads in Colorado.

Thanks for all the suggestions though. Really appreciate you taking the time