GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Joined the family too.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-18, 09:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Joined the family too.

I got a 2014 GS350awd. Luxury package, cold weather package, black on black. Very happy with it so far.

Only issues are the slightly high riding look of the awd. Has there been any good/easy remedies for this by now to get it a little lower? It would not allow me to enter the dealership or my home address in the nav which surprised me, I saw where it has the option to update but isn't that supposed to be something a dealership does/you pay for, I did not choose to do it until I research it. The engine does make a bit of a whining noise under load you can hear when radio is off and fan is low, kind of like a super charger whine, is that normal, I think I have heard it before on GS's I test drove, only other thing I could think of is a pulley possibly needing to be replaced.

I got a very good deal on it, it does need a good polish/detail, will post a few pics after I am done that which may take a couple days.

Mods I plan on doing are painting the calipers copper, eventually lowering it to RWD height, maybe a small rear spoiler, and one of the workarounds to use nav/play DVD in motion. Possibly a aftermarket mesh grill and front lower lip.
Old 07-29-18, 09:52 AM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats bro and welcome! Lowering your car will literally take for you to purchase lowering springs, coil overs, etc... I got swift springs on mine and dropped it to a perfect height for the look I was going for. You came to the best site for a wealth of knowledge from a lot of creative members. Have fun and post pix of your car as you mod it! If you need anything, just ask away. Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
UDel (07-29-18)
Old 07-29-18, 11:39 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Congrats on the GS - You can't enter addresses while the car is moving more than 3-5mph i believe...there is a bypass for this you can search the forum..

The AWD models do have a whine noise and some exhibit the noise under light throttle especially between 30-60 mph. I had it addressed under warranty by the dealership (it was a TSB: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192696). I still have a whine under light throttle at 60mph but its nothing crazy.

Enjoy it!
The following users liked this post:
UDel (07-29-18)
Old 07-29-18, 03:24 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Congrats on the GS - You can't enter addresses while the car is moving more than 3-5mph i believe...there is a bypass for this you can search the forum..

The AWD models do have a whine noise and some exhibit the noise under light throttle especially between 30-60 mph. I had it addressed under warranty by the dealership (it was a TSB: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=192696). I still have a whine under light throttle at 60mph but its nothing crazy.

Enjoy it!
I was stopped, the nav was letting me add certain things but it takes off/eliminates letter/number options when you are entering and it took off the numbers or letters I needed to complete my address. Maybe there is a sub menu to give it all the numbers/letters but I did not feel like fooling with it so I was unable to enter my address, then the nav was giving me some odd directions, never gave me the warning for the major turn for where I was heading, almost missed it. I'll have to fool with it or update it.

Thanks for posting up that information about the whine tsb, looks like I have to 70K miles or 72 months so I'll get it done in a few weeks when I have some time.

Old 07-29-18, 04:15 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I was stopped, the nav was letting me add certain things but it takes off/eliminates letter/number options when you are entering and it took off the numbers or letters I needed to complete my address. Maybe there is a sub menu to give it all the numbers/letters but I did not feel like fooling with it so I was unable to enter my address, then the nav was giving me some odd directions, never gave me the warning for the major turn for where I was heading, almost missed it. I'll have to fool with it or update it.

Thanks for posting up that information about the whine tsb, looks like I have to 70K miles or 72 months so I'll get it done in a few weeks when I have some time.
I find the voice input for address 100x easier than using remote touch
Old 07-30-18, 04:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congrats! Glad you finally took the plunge!

Yours is the older navigation system and I haven’t used that one in a while, so I’m not sure I can help there other than to suggest you ask the dealer to ensure the system software is up to date.
Old 07-30-18, 09:24 PM
slvrcrz
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

i have the same issue i think, the dealership wont update my NAVI for free, so i just use google maps most of the time, im thinking of getting the screen pass through through beatsonic, if anyone has ever done it let me know if its worth it
Old 07-30-18, 09:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Congrats! Glad you finally took the plunge!

Yours is the older navigation system and I haven’t used that one in a while, so I’m not sure I can help there other than to suggest you ask the dealer to ensure the system software is up to date.
I would think the car/nav made in 2014 would be able to let me enter my address and the address of dealership I got it from, maybe the dealership has not been there long enough but the home address has been at its location for 20 years, it did let me enter the Toyota dealership in the area. When I get the recall for the engine whine I'll ask the dealer about a update, don't really want to pay for the update though.
Old 07-31-18, 07:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If the car is under warranty you should get the software/firmware update for free. Something is obviously wrong with yours if it won’t let you input addresses.

Have you tried sending the address from your phone and saving it that way? Curious if it will find it that way...

Last edited by JDR76; 07-31-18 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-31-18, 08:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Congrats! God you finally made a decision and pulled the trigger. Glad you found the luxury package that you wanted too.
Old 07-31-18, 08:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
If the car is under warranty you should get the software/firmware update for free. Something is obviously wrong with yours if it won’t let you input addresses.

Have you tried sending the address from your phone and saving it that way? Curious if it will find it that way...
The warranty just ended. It did let me add some addresses, it just would not let me finish others as it takes some letters or numbers off the options the more you add which means you are unable to fully complete certain addresses like if you are trying to add Beach Lane and it lets you type B E A C but after C it won't highlight the H anymore so you can't type it in and it is not on the options list. It was the first time I was messing with the system and I was in a hurry so maybe there is something else I should have done. I will mess with it. The battery was recently changed a few days before so maybe something needed to be reset.
Old 07-31-18, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The warranty just ended. It did let me add some addresses, it just would not let me finish others as it takes some letters or numbers off the options the more you add which means you are unable to fully complete certain addresses like if you are trying to add Beach Lane and it lets you type B E A C but after C it won't highlight the H anymore so you can't type it in and it is not on the options list. It was the first time I was messing with the system and I was in a hurry so maybe there is something else I should have done. I will mess with it. The battery was recently changed a few days before so maybe something needed to be reset.
A trick for that. Try adding the city before you add the street address. I have that same issue sometimes and doing the city first seems to help it.

If that doesn’t solve it you might need a map update.
Old 07-31-18, 09:09 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Congrats! God you finally made a decision and pulled the trigger. Glad you found the luxury package that you wanted too.
Thanks, the search was getting way too long, it was just annoying me, when I saw that one had dropped significantly in price from a few months ago I decided I was going to get it if nothing was wrong with it if the other LS's and GS's i was looking at fell through which they did. I am very happy with it, even with the crappy Dunlops it rides a lot nicer then I was expecting, closer to a LS then I was expecting. Luxury package was a definite must for me though I probably could have gone with a F sport too if worse came to worse, those Luxury packages are few and far between.
Old 07-31-18, 09:15 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

A trick for that. Try adding the city before you add the street address. I have that same issue sometimes and doing the city first seems to help it.

I'll give that a shot, I have not messed with the NAV much since I got it except to try to turn off the annoying voice command when I was driving around town. I have not owned a car with NAV before this one so it is just not something I really use or rely on but since I have it now I want it to work properly.

I did the mapquest print out to get to the dealership.
Old 07-31-18, 10:51 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

I think you are right Steve. He was searching for an address in the wrong city/state, which didn't exist. He needs to add the correct city first for the address he wants to enter.

Quick Reply: Joined the family too.