GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hi some questions from a new member

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 10:47 AM
JLRespTher
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hi some questions from a new member

So I plan on purchasing a 2015 Black GS 350 (non F Sport) for about 29K out the door that is certified from Lexus with warranty

At first I wasn’t impressed with the F Sport but now it’s slowly growing on me, anybody who have driven the 2 different GS besides the quick 5 min cruise they give you at the dealership justify the extra few thousands of dollars ?

I know the obvious difference is the front bumper and the Sport+ Mode along with stiffer suspension and bigger brakes on the F Sport

The non F Sport is Black while the F Sport is nebular grey? Both are similar in mileage

Thanks in advance, sorry mods if this is in the wrong section
Old 07-16-18, 11:20 AM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 265 Likes on 203 Posts

The two greatest thing i love about my f-sport is :
1. Rear wheel steering. This makes a HUGE difference in driving the car, day to day. U turns are effortless, small parking garages are effortless, parallel parking is much easier. In comparison, i have a smaller car, honda accord, that doesnt have as tight as a turning radius as the GS. I think this is the biggest selling point for the F-sport package.
2. 18 way drivers seat. This honestly makes the drivers seat more comfortable than the passengers seat for long trips.
Old 07-16-18, 11:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I would go with the F Sport based on color alone as I love Nebula Gray Pearl and do not want to own another black car.
Old 07-16-18, 11:35 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

I haven't driven the F-Sport for days or weeks but I can offer some advice...

Consider that the F-Sport has the bigger wheels/tires and the rear-steer along with the the brake/upgraded rotors and AVS that you mentioned. Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Rotors are much more expensive on the F-Sport. The F-Sport will be a little bit of a rougher ride but it can be compensated with the right tires (Pirelli Cinturato's or Michelin's).

In terms of looks, lots of folks feel that the F-Sport has aged better overall for the 2013-2015 pre-refresh models. Here in the northeast, the AWD F-Sport is really just an appearance package with the adjustable suspension - and IMHO wasn't worth the extra coin when I made my purchase.

Considering you're in Cali where the roads may be better than NYC and you don't get snow, the RWD F-sport is worth it if you want the sportier car. Not a great shot, but below is my lightly modded non-F with my neighbor's "new" stock F-Sport that he just got this weekend:
Old 07-16-18, 12:18 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bob256k
1. Rear wheel steering. This makes a HUGE difference in driving the car, day to day. U turns are effortless, small parking garages are effortless, parallel parking is much easier. In comparison, i have a smaller car, honda accord, that doesnt have as tight as a turning radius as the GS. I think this is the biggest selling point for the F-sport package.
2. 18 way drivers seat. This honestly makes the drivers seat more comfortable than the passengers seat for long trips.
rear steering is only always on the hybrid model, otherwise it’s pretty rare to find unless custom ordered these days
Old 07-16-18, 12:29 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Originally Posted by baconRx

rear steering is only always on the hybrid model, otherwise it’s pretty rare to find unless custom ordered these days
Are you sure? I found two sources online that say it is standard on the F-Sport: Wikipedia and this preview article:
https://www.theautochannel.com/news/...rt-and-gs.html

I think you have it reverse, only F sport rwd get DRS, nothing for AWD
Old 07-16-18, 12:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by baconRx

Are you sure? I found two sources online that say it is standard on the F-Sport: Wikipedia and this preview article:

Look under your car. If you have the optional $1,700 Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS) it will look like the picture below. ► Lexus GS Packages/Prices

Last edited by bclexus; 07-16-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 12:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Dynamic Rear Steering is a $1700 option on RWD F Sport GS350s. You can see it under packages on the Lexus web site or under options when you build your own GS online.
Old 07-16-18, 12:59 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

It was more common when it first came out and in the 13 model it may have been standard with fsport because fsport wasn’t as common as it is now. However it is now a separate option that has to be added. Both the dealers I went to said they can count on their hand how many cars they’ve sold with DRS and today it’s pretty much custom order only.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (07-16-18)
Old 07-16-18, 01:31 PM
JLRespTher
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! Loving the picture of your car too!

Unfortunately the Nebula grey just got sold before I could go see it on Thursday (working nights sucks)

Well now now I have a white F sport with actually lower mileage than the Nebula but it also has less options such as heat/cool seats and the ML sound system but it’s the same price

I just feel like since I’m buying a car used mostly to commute to work daily without any issues (I used to have a Bmw) I want something I’m truly happy with

Old 07-16-18, 01:36 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

My white F-sport has all options except DRS/HUD/ML, the first two of which are not the most common. I wanted one with DRS when I started looking but it just took way too long to try and find one locally and I didn't want to bother with traveling to go buy one.

That said if you come across an F-sport with DRS you should totally jump on it.
Old 07-16-18, 01:37 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
Dynamic Rear Steering is a $1700 option on RWD F Sport GS350s. You can see it under packages on the Lexus web site or under options when you build your own GS online.
Got it, I have a 2015 and have it

Sad that they turned this into a option, its worth it.
Old 07-16-18, 01:53 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

Fsport or non Fsport...I kicked that same question around far too long before pulling the trigger on my black '15 Fsport. I plan on keeping this car a long time so it came down to the fact that I wanted to be happy every time I went to drive the car and the Fsport just puts a grin on your face. The appearance, in and of itself (exterior and interior) in my opinion is worth it, let alone the added performance with brakes, suspension etc. I wanted the Cabernet interior (which I love) and the Fsport seats are a huge plus. About once a week I have a longer commute (150 miles round trip) and the seats have made a huge difference.

To me, if you plan on keeping the car for awhile, get the Fsport and enjoy it knowing you didn't skimp out or cut yourself short. It's an amazing car.
Old 07-16-18, 02:10 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Very few people will use the FSport suspension to it's full potential. So it most comes down to looks and comfort. I too like to keep my cars a long time. So far the FSport is still keeping me happy after 5+ years. We'll see what happens next year as I originally planned to keep it 6 years but may end up keeping it longer since it has been trouble free.
Old 07-16-18, 02:17 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Very few people will use the FSport suspension to it's full potential. So it most comes down to looks and comfort. I too like to keep my cars a long time. So far the FSport is still keeping me happy after 5+ years. We'll see what happens next year as I originally planned to keep it 6 years but may end up keeping it longer since it has been trouble free.

Agreed on the suspension. I really only try to use it to its potential when going on my longer commute as it takes me up into the mountains where I can definitely say, I really enjoy the sport+ mode.

Quick Reply: Hi some questions from a new member