GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Fuel Door Release Button

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-18, 04:05 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts
Default Fuel Door Release Button

This irks me so much. The GS does not have a button to release the fuel door from the inside. I'm in NJ so it's illegal to fill up our own gas so I have to wait for gas attendants to figure out how to push in the door to open it.

Does anyone have any suggestions if it's possible to retrofit the button like the one the ES350 has?

Old 07-12-18, 04:32 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Are you serious they don't know to just push it? Like 75% of cars these days skip the fuel filler door switch and are just push..
​​​​​​
My biggest gripe with the lack of switch is it forces me to put fingerprints on the filler door
Old 07-12-18, 06:09 AM
monst3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
​​​​My biggest gripe with the lack of switch is it forces me to put fingerprints on the filler door
This! I'm not the only one...
The following users liked this post:
Sig1855 (07-12-18)
Old 07-12-18, 06:39 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Are you serious they don't know to just push it? Like 75% of cars these days skip the fuel filler door switch and are just push..
​​​​​​
My biggest gripe with the lack of switch is it forces me to put fingerprints on the filler door
People who pump gas for a living ain't the brightest. And no I do not want a button.
Old 07-12-18, 06:48 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

^ Don't tell that to Oregon. They think only qualified attendants should have the super dangerous job of pumping gas....
Old 07-12-18, 07:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

​​​​​​
You’ve got to touch it to close it, so no matter what, you’re putting your fingers on it.

I was just in Oregon this week. Thankfully no attendants had any issue figuring mine out.
Old 07-12-18, 07:37 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

You’ve got to touch it to close it, so no matter what, you’re putting your fingers on it.

I was just in Oregon this week. Thankfully no attendants had any issue figuring mine out.
on the GS you can close the filler door by pulling the black piece on the inner side of the door and letting the door close with it's own force, so you don't have to touch the painted surface to close. Might be different if there was a switch mechanism though.
Old 07-12-18, 08:14 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
People who pump gas for a living ain't the brightest. And no I do not want a button.
Went to Wawa gas station. Guy stood there for 30 seconds pressing on the wrong side and shouts at me "unlock your fuel door!!" and walks away. I literally had to get out of the car and open the door for him and wait for him to come back.

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
^ Don't tell that to Oregon. They think only qualified attendants should have the super dangerous job of pumping gas....
Oregon passed a law this January that allows you to fill your own gas. NJ is the only state in the country that cannot. http://fortune.com/2018/01/05/new-je...-your-own-gas/
Old 07-12-18, 08:24 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Qualified petroleum delivery engineer. hahahhaaa
Old 07-12-18, 09:43 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I'm just glad I'm not required to have someone else pump gas for me in my vehicles. It's the perfect opportunity for your fuel door to be scratched, bent or misaligned - the fuel cap to dangle against the car body and scratch it, or for the fuel cap lanyard to get broken or disconnected. I would much prefer to have my own fingerprints on my fuel door where I carefully touch it when closing it.
Old 07-12-18, 10:17 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

I've often considered putting a little sticker on the spot you need to push, something cute but stylistically consistent.
A white vinyl something...
Old 07-12-18, 10:39 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
This irks me so much. The GS does not have a button to release the fuel door from the inside. I'm in NJ so it's illegal to fill up our own gas so I have to wait for gas attendants to figure out how to push in the door to open it.
This doesn't make any sense because there are a crapload of cars that you have to push on the door to open it.

Those attendants must be dumber than a sack of hammers.

-Mike
Old 07-12-18, 01:46 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

I was highly annoyed to learn that both NJ and OR do not allow you to pump your own gas. I found out the hard way when the guys yelled at me to get back in the car! Do they even have a 16 pump truck stop in NJ or OR?

Who's lame brother-in-law couldn't get any other job to get that passed into law? If it was so dangerous, how come the rest of the world isn't burning?
Old 07-12-18, 02:43 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
I was highly annoyed to learn that both NJ and OR do not allow you to pump your own gas. Who's lame brother-in-law couldn't get any other job to get that passed into law? If it was so dangerous, how come the rest of the world isn't burning?
This is a perfect iullustration of the power of cultural norms: folks in NJ cannot imagine having to pump their own gas and are so confused by other states where oft times there isn't even a full service option.

It's possible to be completely content and confused on both sides of this fence.
It's a window into just how different reality could be and still be considered perfectly normal.

Edit: Talk to someone from NJ sometime: they think it's ridiculous that other states make you pump your own gas. It's normal for them. There are vast differences across regions and nations, and most within struggle to fathom the differences elsewhere. Folks are so convinced their local way is the way that they can scarce imagine it being otherwise; yet if it were, they'd be none the wiser.

Last edited by jonathancl; 07-18-18 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 03:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
This is a perfect iullustration of the power of cultural norms: folks in NJ cannot imaging having to pump their own gas and are so confused by other states where oft times there isn't even a full service option.

It's possible to be completely content and confused on both sides of this fence.
It's a window into just how different reality could be and still be considered perfectly normal.
Cultural norms! I would think that most people living in New Jersey and Oregon have traveled outside their own state and learned that the norm is to pump your own gasoline from self-service stations in all the other states. And, that their state's law is not the norm.

Quick Reply: Fuel Door Release Button