GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hate dealer car washes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 11:56 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Hate dealer car washes...

So I picked up my new '15 GS350 Fsport tonight and of course the dealer gave it a "detail" before delivery. In other words it was covered in some greasy, shinny crap. I got it home and immediately started wiping everything down. For whatever reason, the bottom corner of my dash cluster seems to be impossible to rid the greasy stuff. I tried windex and a microfiber towel but to no avail. I have other cleaning products but am worries about doing further damage. Anyone ever dealt with this before? Suggestions on how to clean it off??

Old 06-15-18, 04:31 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Try 70% isopropyl alcohol rub on it. If that doesn't work, try something like goo gone or goof off (on the plastic only!)

Fwiw, windex is a terrible product and you should never use it. Get a better dedicated glass and clear plastic cleaner rather than using windex. I use sprayway glass cleaner.
The following users liked this post:
CaptRog21 (06-15-18)
Old 06-15-18, 05:06 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I tell them not to wash or interior detail. Vacuum only.
Old 06-15-18, 08:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

To clean the gauge cluster, I would use a high quality microfiber towel (the low quality ones are still quite abrasive) and some warm water with some Dawn dish soap. Dawn is very good at cutting grease. Just use a light touch as that plastic cover scratches easily.
Old 06-15-18, 08:51 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

If that doesn't work, you can just buy a replacement piece.

Old 06-15-18, 10:06 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I had something on my gauges that I could not get off with anything no matter how hard I rubbed but it was on there when I bought the car. I had to use PlasticX/mild polish and a microfiber rag and really work it to get most of it off and still getting in the corners was very hard and everything did not come off. That is why I keep signs in my car DO NOT WASH when I take it to get serviced.

The first time I polished my car after I got a polisher I really had to work it to get the hard water stains and etchings out and it took a few days but the finish looked great after I was done, I was so happy. Put a sealant on and coat of wax and my black GS looked better then new for about 2 weeks until I brought it to the dealership to get a oil change. My heart sank when I saw it being dried off in the sun by a teen probably making min wage who could car less about my finish, was using dirty rags and towels he probably dropped 2 or 3 times while working on my car. I took a quick look and saw all the swirls, scratches, and hard water spots, some still wet. I just shook my head and drove home, I washed it myself but the damage was already done, full of swirls and hard water spots that would need to be polished out again. I wanted to go back to the dealership and complain but knew I was too mad and would end up just yelling and burning bridges, the only thing they would do is get their detail guy to run a buffer over it leaving a bunch of buffer trails that would need to be polished out too.

Last edited by UDel; 06-15-18 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-15-18, 05:30 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I just had my black 2016 GS at the dealer for oil change and I always decline the car wash because of that very reason cause if the scratch my car I'm going off
Old 06-15-18, 05:53 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
I tell them not to wash or interior detail. Vacuum only.
Good idea... I've got to remember to do that...
Old 06-15-18, 07:48 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Try 70% isopropyl alcohol rub on it. If that doesn't work, try something like goo gone or goof off (on the plastic only!)
Actually both of those products will damage plastic. (been there done that) There are versions of them that are orange based that are safe but never use straight goof off or goo gone on plastics or fabrics.
The alcohol is safe but may not remove it. You can also try a little bit of vinegar but it will smell.
Old 06-15-18, 08:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptRog21
So I picked up my new '15 GS350 Fsport tonight and of course the dealer gave it a "detail" before delivery. In other words it was covered in some greasy, shinny crap. I got it home and immediately started wiping everything down. For whatever reason, the bottom corner of my dash cluster seems to be impossible to rid the greasy stuff. I tried windex and a microfiber towel but to no avail. I have other cleaning products but am worries about doing further damage. Anyone ever dealt with this before? Suggestions on how to clean it off??

That looks like silicone on your instrument plastic. If a product containing silicone is left on the plastic very long it will leave permanent spots just like seen in your images. Silicone can be extremely bad for plastics.

You may want to ask your question in the Automotive Care & Detailing forum where the experts (aka: zmcgovern4) can best help you, and not cause further damage.
Old 06-15-18, 09:36 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Just ordered the sprayway, been looking for a good glass cleaner. Thanks!
Old 06-15-18, 09:39 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies. I ended up using the 70% alcohol with a clean microfiber towel and it slowly came off. Still needed a surprising amount of elbow grease to get it all but luckily it did all come off. Lesson learned, never get a dealer car wash!
Old 06-16-18, 07:18 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would take the car back to the dealer and show them the results of their "detailing". Let them fix/replace the affected part. My Lexus dealer is very customer-oriented and is interested in satisfying their customers and getting good reviews. You may make it worse by trying all the products suggested.
Old 06-16-18, 09:41 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

OP - THIS guy has chemical staining on his clear instrument plastic from some kind of chemical that was carelessly applied.
Old 06-16-18, 05:00 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree If it were my car I'd super pissed and I'd bring it back, I mean I understand they're trying to do as many cars as possible and it can be done, But there needs to be quality control in place training. The other issue I have with my Dealer is I get my car back after the oil change and my seat position changed and my car was taken out of ECO mode I just feel that if you change something in a customers car then it should be put back the way you found.

Quick Reply: Hate dealer car washes...